PDA

View Full Version : Rs50 has gone to sleep

tmac12
04-19-2014, 04:40 AM
Im new to the forum, so I hope this is in the right place.

My 2000 rs50 has been fine it use to rev easily over 10k in every gear, even though I don't push it that much.
However recently it crawls up to about 8k and hits a brick fu**ing wall. There is now a great deal of whining and rattling from underneath me and it tops out now at a measly 45mph. What could be the problem?

Spudgun60
04-19-2014, 04:52 AM
Sounds like something is worn out. Could be anything from the piston rings to the crank and bearings. How long have you had the bike and have you done anything to it since you've had it? This'll give us an idea of the bikes history.

RS_Patrick
04-19-2014, 05:07 AM
If i where you i would stop (trying) to drive it and take the cilinder off to see if you can find out whats going on.
The more you continue to start it the more damadge you will do, if your Lucky its just a crank bearing that failed and didnt do any further damadge yet, bad luck is debris started flying round and destroyed both the cilinder and crank.
Since it seems you ran it for a while, even if the piston rings snapped im pretty sure they done more damadge than just the cilinder and piston.

If you notice a powerloss just pull the clutch and kill the engine, dont go on trying to get it to go faster as that will usualy do more damage than the Original failure it self.

tmac12
04-19-2014, 05:17 AM
The bike had a engine rebuild around 700miles ago, everything is stock bar a arrow exhaust system which is setup properly. I can't think what is wrong..

Spudgun60
04-19-2014, 05:24 AM
I assume that the carburettor was adjusted (jetting) to suit the Arrow exhaust?

tmac12
04-19-2014, 05:26 AM
Yes it was, as it was running fine before hand. The exhaust has been on several months

Spudgun60
04-19-2014, 05:33 AM
OK. That's out of the way. We have to move onto the kind of noise that the engine is making. I'll keep this simple.

There are three basic noises that a faulty engine will make.

Knock: Big end failure.
Rumble: Main bearing failure.
Rattle: Piston failure.

Which one have you got?

tmac12
04-19-2014, 05:57 AM
There is no knocking or rumble, the rattle is more of a tin sound only hearing it when off the bike and revving it, note that the 'tin sound rattle' only occurs low mid rev range, on idle and above 7k its gone. Also I notice the whining and slight vibration occur when coming off throttle in most gear except nuetral and being in certain revs, for example between 7-9k rpm in most gears the bike is fine, if slow down to say 6k it starts whining and vibrating. Cant feally understand it. Also the bike hasn't lost power, put first gear is quite poor for how high it revs conpared to how quick you move

RS_Patrick
04-19-2014, 06:15 AM
You say it hasnt lost power but in your first post you say it wont go over 45mph anymore...

Or something came lose, or something broke mate.

And you be suprised how long you can run these bikes on a to lean mixture, if its just slightly to lean it can be perfectly fine untill you go down a hill full throttle, drive a long distance at full speed, or the weather gets warmer...

Believe me ive had kids in the shop buy an exhaust and install it them selfs, and something like half a year later there back in the shop and it had seized up because they used a mainjet slightly to small of something like that. (like an 82 while they needed an 86) while they had been running it like that all the time since they fitted the exhaust.

Spudgun60
04-19-2014, 06:25 AM
From where I'm sat, it sounds like a top end fault. I suggest removing the barrel and examining the bore and piston.

tmac12
04-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Yes, I wouldn't say down on power as such, just it tops out sooner than before, and doesn't rev as high

tmac12
04-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Well, safe to say I pinned it today I hit 9and half k's a few times in a few gears. The rattle was resolved because footpegs were vibrating and there is alot less whining only when I squeeze my legs against the tank can I hear/feel it sometimes. Still only got to about 49mph though haha, surely if an engine fault it would of got worse? I rode for around two hours.

Spudgun60
04-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Coming soon to a roadside near you. One broken down RS50.

As always. If there's something that occurs that is out of the ordinary, there's a reason. I look forward to seeing your bike on Ebay being sold as Spares or repair.

tmac12
04-19-2014, 02:17 PM
I'll get it looked at by a mechanic, but im still not 100% sure what's going on with it

RS_Patrick
04-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Coming soon to a roadside near you. One broken down RS50.

As always. If there's something that occurs that is out of the ordinary, there's a reason. I look forward to seeing your bike on Ebay being sold as Spares or repair.

:plus:

mattology
04-19-2014, 07:46 PM
change your spark plug

tmac12
04-20-2014, 07:51 AM
change your spark plug

I will try that, also I thought I'd mention that when the bike was running fine it was only doing around 52-53mph anyway. I've found out its a stock exhaust system, just a arrow end can/silencer on it.

RS_Patrick
04-20-2014, 10:40 AM
If its the stock exhaust with an Arrow can than it might be the catalystic converter has broken and your hearing that rattle and resonate in the exhaust, and at times it partialy blocks of the pipe so the bike starts to hold in and no longer wants to rev.

I guess you didnt install the Arrow can, but because of the design of the stock pipe its better to use the stock silencer, you dont gain power by spapping out the Original power, infact you wil lose power by installing an Arrow or other after market can on there.

tmac12
04-20-2014, 12:43 PM
If its the stock exhaust with an Arrow can than it might be the catalystic converter has broken and your hearing that rattle and resonate in the exhaust, and at times it partialy blocks of the pipe so the bike starts to hold in and no longer wants to rev.

I guess you didnt install the Arrow can, but because of the design of the stock pipe its better to use the stock silencer, you dont gain power by spapping out the Original power, infact you wil lose power by installing an Arrow or other after market can on there.

Hi, I got someome to have a look at the bike today and said the engine seemed fine, although my exhaust was terribly rusty and had a small hole. No I didn't but the different end can on so I don't have a stock one. I'm thinking of buying a new arrow exhaust system and getting the garage to fit it and set up the correct jetting and reeds. Hopefully this will solve my issue? Also my friend said that my drivetrain has been wore out alot. On my mot certificate a few months ago it also says wear to drivetrain, not considered excessive. And was put as a minor, is that also a problem?

RS_Patrick
04-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Well the exhaust could make the noise that you hear by it self, but the power/rpm loss would be the exhaust alone (if it really comes from the exhaust)
The worn sprockets and chain can cause noise and vibration if they hook on the worn tooth, or gor so much slack they are hitting the frame.

You can buy 12/47 gearing and chain sets to go on the bike like this one: http://www.easyparts.nl/product/0269K1395/0-4019-156-2054-674-4010/Ketting_and_Tandwielset_AFAM_Aprilia_RS50_99-02.html
But if you install an Arrow exhaust you might want to go for a 13/47 sprocket setup.

So yes, a new exhaust system and new sprockets and chain can resolve it.

tmac12
04-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Okay, I'll get that all sorted out soon, I'll let you know how it all ends up.