PDA

View Full Version : 1200 and fueling observations

xactoman
04-11-2014, 10:58 AM
So I am the proud owner of a new 2012 Dorso 1200. I did plenty of reading prior to purchase and really enjoy digging into a new bike. One of the things that stood out from all the reviews is that the bike is a monster and most reviewers put the bike in "T" mode to feel confident riding. With that stuck in my mind I started breaking in my bike with "T" as the standard mode. Nice, powerful, little choked on top, surging above 3k...not ideal. Mileage was good though; solid 43 mpg.

Yesterday, I decided to put some time in on "S" mode. Caution be damned, right? This bike flogs it!! wow, what an experience. Fast as hell and linear power from bottom to top. Couldn't get the smile off my face. What was surprising though, is that all the fueling issues were gone. Solid at idle, smooth above 3k and screams to redline.

This is where it hit me; this bike is designed, tuned and built to be run in "S". Everything else is a compromise. So I have to wonder, are people fiddling with their fueling, sensors and pipes in modes other than "S"? This thing is a beast and damn near perfect. That said, the only downside to "S" mode is that mileage drops to 32mpg.

So I guess that is the beauty of the tri-map system. Want good mileage for a trip? Keep it in "T" and suffer the low end surges, but get great mileage at highway RPM. Want stability and confidence? Put it in "R" and it feels like a 250. If you want raging performance and rock solid fueling, keep it in "S" and enjoy the perma-grin, just pay at the pump.

Fantastic bike whatever mode you ride in. Glad to be a part of the Aprilia family.

Locky
04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
My bike is a new 2011 N.O.S I believe they call it but it has the latest fuel map according to the dealer where I purchased it and I'm in Canada so I don't know if it's set up the same as the States but most agree that they run lean.I installed a fat duc on my bike and it helped.I'm still playing around with it's settings but from my experience so far I would recommend it.
I think "S" stands for instant cure for constipation cause you can scare the sh*# out of yourself.I look at my bike sometimes and think Aprilia is lying about the HP.My B12 pulled 121 hp on the dyno and 79 ft.lbs. and on S the DD1200 seems to pull way stronger.Great bike, I love it,it makes anything else I've owned or ridden seem dull.Hope you enjoy your new bike as much as I'm enjoying mine and good luck...

xactoman
04-11-2014, 03:48 PM
I moved into the Aprilia from a Triumph 955i Daytona. That bike had a pretty fast punch. Driving the dorso in "T" I was kind of impressed, maybe thought i made a wrong choice. Put it in "S" and that is all gone. You are right; the crap gets scared out of you pretty fast! Love that you have to weight the front end to keep it on the ground. Looking forward to having this baby around for a long time.

I also love that the Dorso is much tougher than it looks. People may think that it is just a big dirt bike and underestimate it. That's where the trap gets set.

I'll put the FatDuc on the list of upgrades. Was thinking about an exhaust, but I kind of like the snort of the stock with it's machine gun pop. good stuff!

Brinks_2
04-11-2014, 08:35 PM
She'll lift the front right through to 5th ( so far ) I only go to "t" when it's damp, stay's in S all day long. My favorite city bike by far.

Locky
04-13-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm going to put cans on mine soon.After all the years I've come to the conclusion that most if not all aftermarket full exhausts shift the power band away from the bottom end torque no matter what you do about fueling and that goes for carbs and injected.My local bike shop lent me a used 955 for a weekend trying to sell it to me, loved it.I've ridden the 885 in Dayton 900 super 111 form also,You've got to love Triumph triples in fact I went to the dealer where I got the DD1200 looking to buy a new speed triple and I hate to say it but they screwed the looks on the new ones.Was trying to talk myself into it when I spotted the 1200 sitting in the corner with a sale sticker on it,the price was so good I walked right by it thinking it was used but when I found out it wasn't the looking was over.
I don't want to offend anyone but the price of the Arrow and the Akrapovic seems way to high for what you get.I can get a set of Euro style Hindle 18 inch round or oval cans in stealth for half the price that I don't have to mess with the mapping and I get what I'm looking for which is less weight and healthy sound without getting tickets.I'll save the extra cash and put it towards either forged Aprilia wheels or OZ wheels.So far all I've done to my bike is bar end mirrors,tail tidy,oil cooler cover,15 tooth drive sprocket,removed carbon can.,gel seat and the fat duc.Exhaust cans,steering damper are next and then I'll do the wheels....I'd recommend the fat duc and the 15 tooth sprocket they clean up most of the bike nasty traits.......

xactoman
05-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Just installed my fat duc and went for a ride. Holy wow what a difference. Really transforms the fueling for around town use. Still quick as lightning but now I don't have to worry if it's going to start bucking around corners. Thanks for the recommendation.

luzik
05-11-2014, 12:50 PM
xactoman: How much it changed exacly ?

xactoman
05-11-2014, 01:48 PM
I think it's pretty dramatic actually. My bike is bone stock. Not having any experience with a big twin like this I thought the throttle was abrupt but appropriate. I guess it could be described as binary; either on it off. Overrun on downshift felt like the engine turned off. Roll throttle on and it snaps to life. This makes it hard to drive in town. Fat duc adds fuel at idle so the roll on power is more analog. You don't have to feather the clutch at slow rpm to stop it from bucking. It's a very solid improvement and upgrade.

trainman
05-11-2014, 01:57 PM
I think it's pretty dramatic actually. My bike is bone stock. Not having any experience with a big twin like this I thought the throttle was abrupt but appropriate. I guess it could be described as binary; either on it off. Overrun on downshift felt like the engine turned off. Roll throttle on and it snaps to life. This makes it hard to drive in town. Fat duc adds fuel at idle so the roll on power is more analog. You don't have to feather the clutch at slow rpm to stop it from bucking. It's a very solid improvement and upgrade.

am thinking of this myself, sounds good, any change in fuel cons?

xactoman
05-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Not sure yet. Haven't ridden it long enough to find out. Although, can now cruise on the highway at 60mph in 6th gear well under 4k without surging. The real-time computer said 54mpg. I'm guessing highway mileage will be up, around town about average.

dfriz
05-12-2014, 11:29 PM
I can ride in 4th gear at 30 mph through my neighbor hood with the fatduc installed