PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law

Locky
04-11-2014, 01:53 AM
Most reading this will know that for some time I've been on here looking for a damper for
my DD1200.I don't know if it's a case of Murphy's Law or just bad luck probably both but
with less than 500K on my DD1200 I literaly ran into the need for one.
I was riding home after an hour of being out on what was the best weather we have had so far when my fuel light came on,so instead of going home the back road way I took the split 4 lane way home so I could stop and get some methanol free gas.The traffic was bad
moving at 60k but bumper to bumper.I was in the inside lane trying to keep this panel van in front of me and some tailgaiting turd from making a sandwich out of me when this huge
bead ring from a heavy equipment wheel appears from under the panel van.Thing is whomever was driving the van didn't slow down,put on their brakes, nothing just drove over it leaving me on a bike to deal with a huge round piece of string steel and nothing to do but hit it which I did and of course off centre so beside bouncing me up my front end got snapped to the right and the rear tire bounced up and over at an angle like taking a corner.It put me into a tank slapper heading for the traffic beside me.Somebody was watching out for me because I was between a truck and car that had been beside me when I regained control.I pulled back into my lane with the turd now tailgating me worse and just drove home wanting to check the bike out (never got gas).
The bike seems fine but I need a bloody steering damper..........:bangwall:

jasonmachine
04-14-2014, 11:36 AM
I'd love one too Locky...I haven't had a bad situation like you, thanks to the wheelie gods, but im having the steering shake me around alot when I change directions at speed...like overtaking cars at a good pace. Hope you're not too shaken up from your experience!

Locky
04-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Not shaken up really thanks,but I don't feel comfortable driving behind trucks and vans.I can attest to how tough the DD1200 is though.Didn't ever loosen a wheel weight and I nailed that thing hard enough
to be tender in the wedding tackle with0 how hard I contacted the tank.If something about instructions for the GPR dampers doesn't happen soon I'll buy a kit for the 750 and fit it and post how to do it on this site.
I just have to make up my mind as to GPR or Hyperpro they both have kits for the 750.I've never used GPR but have a Hyper pro on my Bandit 1200 street fighter and love it.Also if I can fit a Hyperpro it gives
other options like Ohlins,Toby ect. as they mount very similar......

jasonmachine
04-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Yep, its probably gonna be up to you to experiment and try something, then tell us about it and how to make it fit. Just thinking...surely a standard superbike type Ohlins could be made to fit? May need some work and modification, but it cant be too difficult...although the initial cost outlay may be tough, especially it doesn't work. Let us know your plans!

tfunk8360
04-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah, depending on the wind, my bike starts to wobble around 130. I have hit 145 a couple of times on wind-less days. Be safe out there.

duck21
04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
your talking miles per hour yeh?

If you are doing 130 mph on the road then you have already committed yourself to more trouble than you should.

I haven't had any slappers yet but most of the roads i have been riding have been pretty twisty and you don't get above 100-130 kph tops.

dfriz
04-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Mine goes to 110 mph pretty quick, I put a 190/55 on the rear and man does this thing turn !!!