PDA

View Full Version : Things i should know? - Considering a DD1200

duck21
04-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Hey guys,

I currently ride a 2011 Tuono V4R APRC. I have recently been testing lots of different bikes, S1000R, SD 1290R, new Tuono and then i saw the Dorsoduro at the aprilia dealer. Not only is it about 5k cheaper than the Tuono, they are giving away an aprilia scooter worth 3 k with it. So i could sell that to fund some goodies.

But all that aside i saw it and thought that looks really cool and then i had visions of wheelies in my mind. Unfortunately they didn't have a demo bike and the closest thing i could test was the Caponord. Which has the same 1200 and chasis even though its tuned completely differently and feels like riding a boat it was the closest i could get to a test ride.

So anyway. Long story short, i actually enjoyed myself on the test. Good instant power and i actually don't mind the riding position.

So the question. What things should i know about owning a DD1200 coming from a Tuono and before that an RSV1000R and before that a SV1000S?

Thanks

jasonmachine
04-10-2014, 02:21 AM
To be completely honest with you...the DD1200 will put a huge smile on your face when you ride it. Accelerration wheelies, cornering etc are like magic. The down side to this "charismatic" machine is the limited range on fuel, which means lots of fuel stops to refill. This also means its no good for longer rides or touring. A lot of us have also had electronics issues, especially if you like doing your own tinkering and servicing or modifications like aftermarket pipes. Frequent trips to your dealer to get caution lights reset or remapping done may be bothersome for you?
So it really depends on what you want to use it for...it is unfortunately limited with its capabilities, however the qualities that it does have...it does very well!

lanter
04-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Properly setup, the did 1200 is a brilliant bike. I'd imagine it gets similar MPG and travel range as the TV4. Arrow pipes, "leaving the cats installed" with the arrow mapping and your good to go. I have very smooth throttle response and don't have any jerkyness some have experienced. It won't be as mental as the TV4, but pulls like a bull down low.

trainman
04-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Properly setup, the did 1200 is a brilliant bike. I'd imagine it gets similar MPG and travel range as the TV4. Arrow pipes, "leaving the cats installed" with the arrow mapping and your good to go. I have very smooth throttle response and don't have any jerkyness some have experienced. It won't be as mental as the TV4, but pulls like a bull down low.

it must be said that the clutch is a bit heavy and the gears not as smooth as some bikes but maybe you are used to this as you have an Aprilia, I am used to it now but you notice if you jump back on a Jap bike (but who wants one!)

duck21
04-10-2014, 06:11 PM
I am used to the fuel issue. My T4 only gets about 125km before the fuel light comes on.

I think i have just about made my choice. Looks like fun will take the place of balls out performance this time.

Thanks for your feedback lads

xactoman
04-10-2014, 09:54 PM
The dorso in sport mode has plenty of balls out performance! :)

duck21
04-11-2014, 01:31 AM
Getting the dealer to price it up with goodies. Question....how much do the OEM Dunlops suck?

I was considering changing them for Pilot Power 3's before i get it, but that will cost me an extra $250 change over for the tyres.

Quza
04-11-2014, 05:04 AM
They suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I accidentally went over the edge two days after purchasing my DD12 - coming from a BMW F800R...
Put some 190s on the rear and you will be fine. I personally loved the BT016Pro, but there are other options as well. Just don't buy another 180 for that 6" rim.

Brinks_2
04-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Sell the scooter and get some carbon wheels, :burnout: that would be serious. Or Carrozeria's.

duck21
04-13-2014, 10:08 PM
The scooter is going to lowering my purchase price. Already getting a set of arrows, tail tidy, pilot powers and new helmet.