PDA

View Full Version : Ground clearance

straightline
04-08-2014, 05:43 PM
I just test rode a new Caponord but my test ride was limited to freeway and straight roads. I really like the bike but after watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkgw6fwhsPo

It seems that the bike has a tendency to scrape alot when ridden hard. Is this common or a rarity. I see that the footpeg feelers are about an inch and if removed this would not happen.

Any feedback would be appreciated

flying_hun
04-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Tor rides pretty hard. I'm not sure I'd be too worried about him dragging peg feelers. He didn't seem to be. With that, I'll yield the floor to those who actually own one. :p:

KiwiNinja69
04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I've never scrapped mine yet in the 7 or 8 months I've had the bike, but I probably don't ride it as hard as Tor does.

nisbeam
04-09-2014, 03:10 AM
I have scuffed the tyres right to the edges but not yet touched down (must be very close) - still trying though :peace:

ACTCapo
04-09-2014, 04:21 AM
I've scraped the centrestand both sides, but only when really hooking into the twisties, or 2-up with mid corner dips. It wasn't as bad before I had the centrestand rubber replaced. the new one is tapered and about twice as thick as the original, so the stand sits lower.

ChrisHall
04-09-2014, 09:31 AM
I've scraped the centrestand both sides, but only when really hooking into the twisties, or 2-up with mid corner dips.

+1 on the above

Markprend
04-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Scape left hand centrestand and both pegs but only in really tight twisties

idiakez
04-10-2014, 03:35 AM
Still finding the balls to go down lower than 45deg.... LOL

AussieMat
04-10-2014, 04:46 AM
Scape left hand centrestand and both pegs but only in really tight twisties

+1 on that . Reefton spur twisties

mathew
04-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Still finding the balls to go down lower than 45deg.... LOL

+1 still finding my feet

Markprend
04-10-2014, 11:34 PM
lovely road

Mr Pope
04-19-2014, 04:21 AM
Scraped the footpegs on track with the zorst on 'high' mode. Other than these, everything else was safe

Steve-Oh!
04-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Scraping pegs is just how some of us like to ride, but it's as much about how we have the ADD preload set up.

I like to "have a go" in the mountain roads, & love trying to keep my sport bike riding mates honest. I was running Rider + Luggage, but able to routinely scrape the peg scrapers [and the muffler a coupla times].

I increased the pre load to Rider + Pillion for solo riding and that made a difference for a while, until I got comfortable with leaning further.

Now my peg 'scrapers' are virtually gone and the pegs themselves are scraping. Gotta love modern tyre technology . . . talk about grip! Still, I may need to adjust my riding style just a tad.

fredaroony
04-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Scraping pegs is just how some of us like to ride, but it's as much about how we have the ADD preload set up.

I like to "have a go" in the mountain roads, & love trying to keep my sport bike riding mates honest. I was running Rider + Luggage, but able to routinely scrape the peg scrapers [and the muffler a coupla times].

I increased the pre load to Rider + Pillion for solo riding and that made a difference for a while, until I got comfortable with leaning further.

Now my peg 'scrapers' are virtually gone and the pegs themselves are scraping. Gotta love modern tyre technology . . . talk about grip! Still, I may need to adjust my riding style just a tad.

You could always try level 4 ( rider, pillion and luggage) and you might find it gives you more clearance and balance.

Steve-Oh!
04-21-2014, 05:19 AM
You could always try level 4 ( rider, pillion and luggage) and you might find it gives you more clearance and balance.

Yeah, I did try Level 4 but that was a bit too stiff for all but the twisties, and I didn't want to be stopping to adjust it as the road / terrain changed.

I'm happy with Level 3 . . . everything's a compromise. I just need to avoid scraping the muffler. :rolleyes:

Nolz
04-21-2014, 06:15 AM
That's some serious lean angle! Are you hanging off the bike any?

keithc
04-21-2014, 01:34 PM

I think I would cry if my bike got sctratched like that (maybe because the wife would not be to impressed, she has a mean left hook :) ). To be honest I am not comfortable with leaning a bike over that far anyway, self preservation and all that. Fair play to those that do though.

Keith C

Steve-Oh!
04-21-2014, 07:59 PM
That's some serious lean angle! Are you hanging off the bike any?

Hi Nolz . . . Yeah, I have the bum off the side a bit, but I'm certainly not trying to look like Marc Marcquez. :lol:

I really thought when I bought this bike it's high position & more sedate ergos would see me riding in a more moderate fashion [I had to replace my worn pegs on my 1050 Triumph Sprint].

But the 1200 Capo handles like a dream for a Sports Tourer, but the muffler scraping wasn't intended or desired.

Hey Keith . . when I checked the bike after grounding the muffler I shed a tear. I couldn't believe that was likely, and naturally I didn't want to "damage" my bike. I was surprised that the ADD hadn't responded quickly in the corner with the increased load on the suspension.

That hasn't happened since I changed the ADD to Rider + Pillion, but the pegs are still slowly disappearing in the twisties.

I should add that I only ride like that to test my skills & how well the bike handles [& for the fun of it tooooo]. I'm no Club / road racer and I certainly don't do it to impress anyone.

But it does show how capable a bike the 1200 CAPO is though.

ChrisHall
04-22-2014, 03:57 AM
Hi Nolz . . . Yeah, I have the bum off the side a bit, but I'm certainly not trying to look like Marc Marcquez. :lol:

I really thought when I bought this bike it's high position & more sedate ergos would see me riding in a more moderate fashion [I had to replace my worn pegs on my 1050 Triumph Sprint].

But the 1200 Capo handles like a dream for a Sports Tourer, but the muffler scraping wasn't intended or desired.

Hey Keith . . when I checked the bike after grounding the muffler I shed a tear.

I scrapped the muffler shield whilst in Spain (nice hot tarmac!). I was a bit peeved about it, however when I checked the Fowlers parts website (UK), the cover was only 13GBP! So I bought a new one and I'll keep the scratched one for this years tour of Spain

Steve-Oh!
04-22-2014, 05:50 AM
I scrapped the muffler shield whilst in Spain (nice hot tarmac!). I was a bit peeved about it, however when I checked the Fowlers parts website (UK), the cover was only 13GBP! So I bought a new one and I'll keep the scratched one for this years tour of Spain

Nice work Chris!!! Maybe I'd better check a parts price for the shield in OZ.

Nolz
04-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Jeepers! Glad you're so far away which just about rules out riding together cos it sounds like you'd spend most of the day waiting for me to catch up! Either that or I'll bin it trying to keep up :p

Steve-Oh!
04-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Jeepers! Glad you're so far away which just about rules out riding together cos it sounds like you'd spend most of the day waiting for me to catch up! Either that or I'll bin it trying to keep up :p

:cheers: