PDA

View Full Version : Oz service cost $75 an hoiur for a greese monkey

Scot p
06-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Sorry I have to VENT

I was told when I was purchasing my Aprilia service costs where no more expensive than on a Honda, so ok first service is a major I was thinking maybe $350 total...nah $480...

Hmmm $55 an hour for my Honda was bad but 75 fu*king $ to have a monkey change the oil and check valve clearences, Gowanaloch motorcycles will never be seeing my bike again...oh well lets try Aitkens next time or the local Honda dealer...

I wonder If my warantee is still worth anything anyway with the FIM/Scorpion/no airbox restrictor, maybe I should just do the work myself...

cya
Scot.

RinOz
06-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Byrnes were dearer than that, lucky you didn't go there:)

Scot p
06-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Maybe I should have bought that 954 Blade......
Cheeper servicing
Cheeper bike
More power....
Less style
Less fun...
One of 1000000 others...
yeah ok I will keep the Tuono...

Hmmm no way I was going near Byrnes, it took them 2 weeks to try and work out a trade in price on my Guzzi...

cya
Scot.

rsv42
06-04-2004, 04:02 AM
I have had my bike solely serviced at AITKENS and have never had a drama with their workmanship or their pricing. Saying that though i specifically ask that John does all the work on my bike.The last service i had done there cost me $280 and the one before $320. Just remember you are having an italian bike serviced and we probably pay a little premium for that!!:D

petermac
06-04-2004, 05:26 AM
Geez Scot ! I wouldn't be game to call John or any of the guys at Aitkens grease monkeys - they'd snot ya - with justification !

Ohmygewd
06-04-2004, 08:26 PM
hey Scot,

You could trade it in and buy an MV or Ducati???? Talk about service costs!!!!
When l bought the Aprilia, l knew the service cost were going to be a bit more expensive than your average jap bike but hell of a lot cheaper than your normal Italian bike.
Just service it yourself and have it major service by the dealer or tune up that requires TB/TPI adjustments.

Fox
06-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Scot p
Maybe I should have bought that 954 Blade......
Cheeper servicing
Cheeper bike
More power....
Less style
Less fun...
One of 1000000 others...
yeah ok I will keep the Tuono...

Hmmm no way I was going near Byrnes, it took them 2 weeks to try and work out a trade in price on my Guzzi...

cya
Scot.

Scot I'm sure I asked you this on the ride but what sort of Guzzi did you have?

Scot p
06-06-2004, 05:35 PM
V11 Le Mans, was a nicely sorted bike except for lack of power, loads of torque but it didn't have any top end.....I only had it for a month, that was a stepping stone to the tuono...

cya
Scot.

FORZA
06-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Attitudes like yours are why most GOOD mechanics are fed up with it and get out of the trade leaving most shops full of substandard or non-intersted staff. Most good european(bike) mechanics actually give a shit about the bike that they are servicing because its not one of 10,000 or however many are made. This usually relates to a bit more pay than a jap dealership will pay for mechanics.
A lot of european shops dont sell bucket loads of bikes so they rely on quality work to keep their workshop paying the bills and pride themselves on the work that comes out the doors. If that is not important to you maybe take your bike to Actions or some place similar for your servicing.
I know what most would prefer.
I would normally quote about $450.00 for a major service. Your first service involves valves etc. as well, maybe some were out?
Did you have problems with it? Did you bring this up with them? Did you even bother to question it with them or were you too piss weak to do it in person?

Dave.

Fox
06-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Ouch! Sounds like Scot touched a real soft spot there Dave!

Scot p
06-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Yes I did question the cost, yes a valve was just within thresholds and probably should have been adjusted but the guys said have it checked next service, great now the minor service will be charged as a major, true profesionals, did that add to the bad taste from the high service costs yes.

If I get good service I let people know, same go's for bad/Average/Overpriced, would I recomend people buy a bike from Bike Barn in Melbourne, Yes, they came through with the bike I wanted at the price I wanted even though I only ever dealt with them over the phone, and had not seen my bike until it turned up onthe back of a truck.

So is the problem Sales staff telling me the service costs are the same as a Honda or the mechs charging like a wounded bull ? Lets find out next time when I take it to the dealer/sales person that claimed the costs where similar to my Honda costs...

I have been doing work on cars(Alfa's mostly, some others) and bikes(sorry Japanese) for 18 years, the only reason I have ever taken a bike for a dealer service is to uphold new bike warantee.

cya
Scot.

FORZA
06-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Possibly so, did it come across that way.
I worked at that shop in the past and know exactly what its like.
I have also had people try and look down upon myself and co-workers they had the same perception.
I got out for a while because of the same sort of crap. I'm not dealing with the retail side of things to much now so its not really an issue I have to deal with but I definitely understand the situation.
Maybe these 'monkeys' should show the same level of disrespect to Scot's bike as he has shown for them and their chosen profession.

Dave.

FORZA
06-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Possibly the problem, sales staff.
Gowanloch M/Cycles nor any other service dept. has promised the pricing issue from your information posted. Quite often the selling dealer may sweeten the deal to buy from them with reduced servicing costs or just for being a loyal customer but I cant see them doing so for someone walking in off the street.
The details here aren't the reason I've spoken out, its the way that you want label/put down someone to try and make yourself feel better.

BTW Call Mick and discuss it with him rather than bitching to everyone else.

I feel better now.

Dave.

Scot p
06-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Ok Maybe I'm a was a little rude with the greese monkey title, the price was what I found harsh($80 p/h if you include gst), will I bother dealing with them again no.

Most people here recomended Aitkens so I should have gone there but was not willing to wait 2 weeks for a first service, my mistake I should have waited.

Thats another thing I dont get about Motorcycle shops in general, the whole boys club thing, maybe the industry would be a better place if you treated New customers like something special, just maybe they might come back...

cya
Scot.

FORZA
06-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Scot,

That problem is a hard one to address I believe. You get either McDonalds type enthusiasm with little in the way of personal contact or the old school type of shop with next to no presentation skills but a real sense of 'belonging' from the shop.
I prefer the latter as both an employee and customer, but everyone is different. Big shops tend to be super slick nowdays and the little ones come across a bit laidback for people used to the slickness. References are often made to the automotive(car) way of doing things but unfortunately the volume of bike sales can't support this yet.
Time will tell I guess.

Dave.

DazRSV
06-06-2004, 11:19 PM
I was going to bring this up in another thread but seeing as the thread is about servicing, is anyone keen to get together and go through a service on a bike with me and others?

Im ok with oil filters air box etc, but not to sure on doing the TB's with the sync tool and diagnostic checks, clutch bleeding and bleeding brakes, cleaning rotor buttons etc.
Im sure with the info we have between the lot of us we should go alright?

Anyway Im not out there to steal customers away from the industry I just want to be able to tickle up my TB,s and make sure that my fuel pressure thingy is correct and my bike is running kosha and full of oil.:rolleyes:

Good idea/ bad idea? flame me:gunner: suggestions? what do you think?:rolleyes:

Exdukenut
06-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by DazRSV
I was going to bring this up in another thread but seeing as the thread is about servicing, is anyone keen to get together and go through a service on a bike with me and others?

Im ok with oil filters air box etc, but not to sure on doing the TB's with the sync tool and diagnostic checks, clutch bleeding and bleeding brakes, cleaning rotor buttons etc.
Im sure with the info we have between the lot of us we should go alright?

Anyway Im not out there to steal customers away from the industry I just want to be able to tickle up my TB,s and make sure that my fuel pressure thingy is correct and my bike is running kosha and full of oil.:rolleyes:

Good idea/ bad idea? flame me:gunner: suggestions? what do you think?:rolleyes:

Me Neither on the first part of the last paragraph, but I certainly try to do as much of the routine maintenance myself, like TB sync, TPS positioning, brake & clutch bleading, brake pads, steering head greasing, etc, probably done about 90% of everything, I've also changed swingarms front ends, and put on a full exhaust.

I have the sync tool from Evo, and have synched Fox and DeTuono's bikes. Only too willing to show anyone that wants to be shown. Some of it isn't that hard, it just takes a bit of time and some patience.

I'm going to at least measure the valves the next time round and if I need to get them done I'll take the stripped bike (ie no bodywork etc), to allow the professional mechanics to do the rest.

Most labour costs where a bike is concerned, are taken up with getting to the actual parts/processes that need to be worked on. For example to get to the oil filter you need to remove the sidepanel say 15-20mins. The throttle bodies, tank and airfilter box, this job to actually sync the bike takes all of 5 mins, to get there it takes 10-15mins and to get it all back, another 10-15mins.

I use professional mechanics when and wherever I need to! Sometimes it pays to! It also pays to admit that you can't do something, especially if you don't have the correct tools, or you genuinely feel out of your depth in doing something.

As to Gowanlochs, I've used them in the past for work on my old bevel duke, as well as doing the bearings on a Mille swingarm I purchased. I don't have a problem with them. I also use Aitkens for service and some parts. Both have been excellent!

Anyways Daz, call me if you want to be shown something along the lines of what you've mentioned.

PPS Hear, hear Dave! I'm definately with your view on the matter. Professionalism and word of mouth pay big dividends in the Bike Industry! Take a look at how well Procycles in Hornsby (Sydney - not an Aprilia agent by the way) are doing these days.

Off of my soapbox, but glad to help anyone that wants some help on the basics.

:cool:

FORZA
06-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Leigh,

I forgot to update you guys on this, Pro-cycle have taken over Tom Byrnes. They also have Aprilia.
Whether or not Aprilia goes into Hornsby yet I cant say, that is still being negotiated but they should at least be able to supply parts from T.B. m/cycles if asked nicely.

Dave.

Exdukenut
06-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Sounds great. Fingers crossed on Hornsby.

Maybe I should get a job selling them up there for them?:D :D :D

As to parts I get the stuff posted from Aitkens when I need to.

Also to everyone else I can't remember where I heard this but, a while back someone from a spares dept somewhere, costed out how much it would cost to build a new bike, from all spare parts from the manufacturers parts fiche, and associated retail pricing of said parts.

The cost of said bike was something like $103,000 for a bike that sold for approx $18,000.

Same with car maskers as well. Spares and accessories are where a lot of dealers hope and do make some margin to keep their businesses afloat.

The other thing I've done recently is purchased from a wreckers, a blinker, and a speedo sensor. Cost of the sensor $105, normally new $220, and the blinker $18, compared to almost $80. I don't have a problem sourcing wherever I can at the cheapest I can if possible.

Just another 2 cents worth.

Scot p
06-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Yep aftermarket is also a good option...upgrade to some funky wave rotors for less than the cost of OEM, new pipes , yep less than oem, and shopping the forum looks to have some good deals on bits that have been removed for nice shiney new aftermarket bits...

cya
Scot.

Exdukenut
06-07-2004, 07:22 PM
I agree, I've purchased lots of aftermarket stuff for my bike, from the forum, from England, Belgium, and South Africa, here in OZ, from ebay as well. It works for me.

It's always your choice where you do business, and with whom. I've had nothing but great experiences with all things Aprilia, thus far. 2 minor glitches, and definately nothing catastrophic. Learn about your bike, do what you can yourself, and get assistance from the dealers when you need to. They are there trying to support both you and themselves with the assistance from the supplier.

It is a two way street. Treat your dealer with respect, and 99 times out of 100, they'll try to do so for you.

DeTuono
06-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Dave,

Sorry I got into this one late.

It would be awesome if Procycles in Hornsby picked up an Aprilia dealership, but I'd settle for a bit of their quality/value in the Aprilia dealership of Tom Byrnes. Sydney is really under supplied with Aprilia dealers. Is JSG looking after the ones it's got?

Nick

Exdukenut
06-30-2004, 05:47 PM
There are no plans in the short term with Procycles stocking Aprilia or Triumph at Hornsby, from what I've been told whilst in their Hornsby outlet. They don't have the space.

They would need to open another shopfront plus workshop.

Both Aprilia and Triumph wish it to happen on the northside, but.....whether it ever does is another story.

FORZA
06-30-2004, 06:13 PM
There are some other issues to be resolved (not with Procycles) that are delaying the appointment even if they had the room.
It will be a good thing for all involved I believe.

Dave.

timmcl
07-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by FORZA
Possibly the problem, sales staff.
Gowanloch M/Cycles nor any other service dept. has promised the pricing issue from your information posted. Quite often the selling dealer may sweeten the deal to buy from them with reduced servicing costs or just for being a loyal customer but I cant see them doing so for someone walking in off the street.
The details here aren't the reason I've spoken out, its the way that you want label/put down someone to try and make yourself feel better.

BTW Call Mick and discuss it with him rather than bitching to everyone else.

I feel better now.

Dave.

Just a quick note. I just had my 1st service by Gowanloch on my RSV. Nearly $500 later I take it home, oil everywhere. Take off the fairing, the oil cap is hanging on by a thread and to make things worse the sump bolt wasn't screwed in either. Rang them up straight away and do u think they gave a shit or offered a discount? I had oil all over the back tyre! I dodn't mind paying the big bucks if u get quality service. Won't be going back to GL. Cheers Guys:rambo: