PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in behaviour

Locky
04-02-2014, 12:34 AM
So whats the story on when you reach the 400 km on the 1200?Does it suddenly stop limiting the revs?Do you have to turn off the bike and when you restart it it allows you to rev higher.Do you have to take it to a dealer to remove the limit set at the factory?

trainman
04-02-2014, 10:55 AM
looking on here you either reset the service indicator (looks like a wrench) if its appeared or you increase the rev limiter within the menu or both (and it is a rev limiter despite what the manual says)

the service indicator needs a code number which can be found on the forum if you search

Locky
04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Yep it's a rev limiter no doubt about that the red light flashes and then it shuts off the power.It says in the so called maintenance book "Once this mileage has been reached and exceeded the ECU will automatically revert to the permanent settings allowing the engine to achieve maximum performance"......Is this how it happened to anyone on here?It didn't to me,I hit 414 and then hit a on ramp and tried revving it and still got the rev limiter.I don't see the service indicator but I never got a chance to try to rev it past 6 k cause of traffic after I got a chance to restart the bike.I'll try and get out on the bike today and if it doesn't rev past 6 I'll try setting the rev limit....Thanks

Locky
04-02-2014, 03:14 PM
It worked so thanks again,I set it for 8500 and it worked great(it still said 6000 in settings).I've read pretty much every article about this bike but it doesn't
begin to prepare you for how hard this bike can pull....

dfriz
04-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Are you riding it on Sport or Touring and yes it does pull hard

mc18
04-02-2014, 09:52 PM
LOL when I first got the bike I wasn't that impressed with the power. I was over 400 miles still no change went on a ride the way out same. But on the way back it was a big difference this bike pulls like a sport bike. Crazy change it should give you a warning on the screen FULL POWER NOW ACTIVATED !!

Locky
04-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Both dfriz but I find I'm driving more in sport as I get used to the throttle.I like to call it CFC mode as in cure for constipation.

Brinks_2
04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Locky, keep an eye on the oil level until you get to about 3000 miles. They do tend to use a little until "bedded" in well.

duck21
04-21-2014, 06:17 PM
I am only 70km into my run in period. It is so disheartening short shifting at 5,500rpm. I am going to try and put some extra KM on it during my lunch breaks this week. Normally it would take me about 8.5 days of riding to and from work to get to 400km.

I am assuming that the power is limited as well as the revs restricted because the power below 6 doesn't feel like it should either. So far loving the handling and mobility of the bike. In traffic its really nice to ride and so easy to dodge retard drivers. I just can' t wait to get some wheelie action going on.

What is the redline meant to be??

jstuntlocke
04-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Strange-I just realized that since I had the new motor put in, I don't think the ECU was ever set back to as if it was the original motor giving me the same break in procedure as the when I purchased the bike. This means I surely flogged a brand new motor without taking into consideration that I needed to break it in as the factory intended...
I always broke my new bikes in as I planned to ride them which was extremely hard, and more miles on the rear than front without issues... so looks like I found a way to brake the rules again!!

Oh, and why would anyone ever ride in anything but sport mode? =]

tfunk8360
04-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Hey guys check this out! I recently hit 16,000 miles on my 2011 DD. It has been to the dealer a total of three times now. Over the week end i ran out of gas and because I didnt want to push the bike too far, got some gas at Arco. I know that this gas SUCKS because Ive had problems before with this stuff. But I put it in anyway. My bike started to run really really bad, worse than ever. Back-fireing,poping,red light flashin,service sign flashing, the hole nine yards. After getting SHELL gas, the kind I normaly use, the bike didnt improve. My brother who doesnt know anything about bikes said,'' check the air cleaner.'' So I did. I took the hole thing apart to get to air cleaner. Well I noticed that the plastic cover on the front of the cleaner houseing is very restricted with three small holes. So I took a pair of vice grips, a razor, and a torch, and cut out most of the plastic except for the part around the edge, so the filter wont come out. Then I checked my fuses. The Arco Gas caused the ECU fuse to blow.I changed it, put the bike back together. Let me just say,WOW! What a differance. I would just guess a say at least 6 to 8 more HP.This thing has more power in every part of power band. I cant believe the power this thing can make. So when you have a day to mess around, try this

Locky
05-11-2014, 02:55 PM
I guess this tells you I'm getting to be an old fart but I owned 26 bikes over the years and no more than two at a time about half of them I bought new and I found that you can tell a big difference in a bike that is broke in hard.Got to let those new parts seat in even after a rebuild or tear down I put one tank of gas through the bikes.The ones I didn't (hey we all learn the hard way) always sounded loose.Reving the bikes more than they recommended is not as bad as asking them to pull to hard or lugging them or holding it at high revs so I guess it all depends what you men by hard.But hey it's your party...notice how I left the cry part out.......