PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption after Rexxer remap

Capo1200
03-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Filled up today - the first tank after the remap that didn't include a dyno power run. Fuel consumption was 47mpg. Best I ever got before was 42mpg.
Result!

ACTCapo
03-31-2014, 02:10 AM
Winner!

Globalone
03-31-2014, 07:20 AM
Had a message from Dave whilst I was away saying they have the map sorted and he is ready for mine.

I have fitted the new exhaust and have the air box mods done, just need to sort the EFI light before it goes to get done.

nisbeam
04-02-2014, 02:27 PM
As the dealer is the other side of the country from me I would rather buy the Rexxer 'User' & do it myself, it should only cost bit more based upon current prices. But making some enquiries it seems there is a new unit coming soon. For anyone who is interested I got the following mail from Rexxer in Germany:
Currently we are still selling the “old” RexXer User version.
To be able to flash the new Caponord you need the new RexXer EVO “User”.
We will offer this new device in a couple of weeks, just creating the new manual etc.
You will then find a news on our website www.rexxer.eu (http://www.rexxer.eu) as soon as we make the new device available.

fredaroony
04-02-2014, 02:59 PM
I'd love to see some more people successfully get this done as I can't believe the Australian model has a different ECU or map and it won't work properly on the bikes they have tried here.

Mr Pope
04-03-2014, 02:05 AM
So, how does this work? You buy this gizmo, plug it in, let it do it's thing, take it off, ride away with a big smile cos it's all smooth?

Globalone
04-03-2014, 02:51 AM
Our Hosts are telling the potential US buying public on FB that the engine works very well and has no problems down low. Interesting!
I fancy then that these improvements will be coming to Europe and Australasia.

The question is, will Rexxer have the same Map as DWR. I am unsure as to take a trip to Ayelsbury or a DIY solution from Rexer

Capo1200
04-03-2014, 04:04 AM
So, how does this work? You buy this gizmo, plug it in, let it do it's thing, take it off, ride away with a big smile cos it's all smooth?

That's the theory! It does actually read you current map first and store it, before downloading the new map

Capo1200
04-03-2014, 04:08 AM
Our Hosts are telling the potential US buying public on FB that the engine works very well and has no problems done low. Interesting!
I fancy then that these improvements will be coming to Europe and Australasia.

It would be very interesting to compare the US map with European map, if as they claim the engine is really good low down. For example is it fitted with the closed loop fueling?
I am pretty sure Aprilia know that the European Caponords they are selling a shite down low. Would they risk doing this in the US? who in my experience are much more vocal about complaining when bikes don't run right. I don't think so.

All those journo's test bikes at the European launch - I'd bet that they had different mapping which will be described as "pre-production". All running nice and rich at the bottom end.

Capo1200
04-03-2014, 04:11 AM
The question is, will Rexer have the same Map as DWR. I am unsure as to take a trip to Ayelsbury or a DIY solution from Rexer

If you go to DWR you will get a custom made map for your bike which will take into account any variations in the engine's manufacture. I'm told that on some bikes the generic Rexxer map is fine, on others it can be some way off optimal. I don't think enough Caponords have been mapped to know.

Capo1200
04-03-2014, 04:15 AM
As the dealer is the other side of the country from me I would rather buy the Rexxer 'User' & do it myself, it should only cost bit more based upon current prices. But making some enquiries it seems there is a new unit coming soon. For anyone who is interested I got the following mail from Rexxer in Germany:
We will offer this new device in a couple of weeks, just creating the new manual etc.
You will then find a news on our website www.rexxer.eu (http://www.rexxer.eu) as soon as we make the new device available.

This is why I had to wait so long to get it done. The 7SM ECU in the Caponord has to receive some kind of reset command after the new map is loaded (if it doesn't it trashes the exhaust value! no bad thing you might say) Apparently this can only be done with new hardware.

Globalone
04-03-2014, 04:36 AM

Is Aylesbury not close to your work?

nisbeam
04-03-2014, 07:39 AM
Its only about an hour away but it would mean a day off & I get paid by the day so it would be an expensive fix for me. But having spoken to Dave I see the benefit of an actual custom map rather than the 'best fit' one that Rexxer would produce. Bit of a dilemma on the cost :-(

Micah / AF1 Racing
04-03-2014, 09:54 AM
USA models are dual lambda closed loop operation over most of the operating range. I'm unsure of mapping differences at this time in terms of software, what I am sure of is the new capo has the best stock mapping of any Aprilia sold here since 2003 or so. The RBW is so sublime that it honestly feels like well jetted cv carburetors and from me that is a glowing endorsement.

RSTman
04-03-2014, 11:11 AM
USA models are dual lambda closed loop operation over most of the operating range. I'm unsure of mapping differences at this time in terms of software, what I am sure of is the new capo has the best stock mapping of any Aprilia sold here since 2003 or so. The RBW is so sublime that it honestly feels like well jetted cv carburetors and from me that is a glowing endorsement.

That's not what we have here in he UK, in fact the last bike I rode that felt like CV carbs was err, a bike with CV carbs. Still it's heartening to know the Capo can run that well. We'll get it fixed one way or another.

ChrisHall
04-04-2014, 03:58 AM

If Aprilia will fund the research project, I am prepared to visit the US and try this out personally. :burnout:

There has to be a fundamental difference between the US and European models. Micah - Do you know if the closed loop operation is controlled by narrow or wide band lambda sensors?? When I first looked at the lambda sensors what struck me was that they don't look like your typical narrow band sensor, the spanner size (and therefore presumably the thread size) is larger that I'd expect for a narrow band sensor. Narrow band are usually 12mm and wideband 18mm thread size. I've not removed one so I don't know for sure.

If wideband sensors are fitted that would allow the ECU to control the AFR meaning Aprilia could set it to anything they want based on the emission laws for each market, a narrow band would mean its 14.7:1 AFR fixed in the closed loop

Micah / AF1 Racing
04-04-2014, 04:54 AM
We have only had the bikes a week here so I've had zero chance to do more than a three mile test ride due to workload and lack of sleep.

webley
04-04-2014, 09:20 PM
How do the darn Germans get such good fuel economy? The big 1200 GS gets 4.1l/100km at 90 KPH (or 57mpg at 56 mph).
I want the same from a 1200 Caponord dammit!

nisbeam
04-05-2014, 02:34 AM
You probably could get that from the Capo. I did a long run recently maintaining a high average speed (I wont say the speed on here but it was a lot higher than that) and I averaged 48mpg. So if you you only do 90kph I expect that could be achievable. But who would be able to go that slowly, this bike is too much fun :devil:

Mr Pope
04-06-2014, 04:30 AM
I've seen over 50mpg on a run with cruise control on but, as has been said, it's too much fun to worry about issues like fuelling....

Capo9
04-06-2014, 04:44 AM
I've seen over 50mpg on a run with cruise control on but, as has been said, it's too much fun to worry about issues like fuelling....

yep . I have 2 cruise controls on my bike. 1 on the bars and 1 that often sits behind me. With both in operation I also scrape close to 50mpg, but when alone and it's time to have fun there is an obvious drop in economy. But what the heck, I'd rather have fun than worry about $5 worth of fuel.