PDA

View Full Version : New fuel maps

fredaroony
03-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Apparently there has been a new fuel map released by Aprilia in the last couple days and there is supposed to be some performance improvements up to 3000rpm as one of the enhancements.

Anyone has access to their service website to get the latest release notes for the fuel and suspension maps? Would be nice to see the full list before deciding to get the service done.

KiwiNinja69
03-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Sounds like the map that was released in October which didn't do much to help, but would be interested to see if this one is any better.

fredaroony
03-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Sounds like the map that was released in October which didn't do much to help, but would be interested to see if this one is any better.

Yeah it does, hence why I want to see the full release notes before paying to get it done. I can get my bike done on Saturday if I want but still thinking about it since I'm only 2000klms from the next service.

KiwiNinja69
03-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Just spoke to the agent and there hasn't been a map released since October.

fredaroony
03-19-2014, 01:08 AM

That's weird because I spoke to an agent this morning that said there was. Having said that, I was the one who told him about it and he never mentioned the date when he was reading the notes.

The info about the map release came from yet another agent though, I just called my closest one about getting it done.

robertp
03-19-2014, 01:19 AM

I was told that a new map had been released in the last few days by my service agent .... unless I misunderstood what he was telling me.

KiwiNinja69
03-19-2014, 01:37 AM
Ahhh right, might have to give them another call.

idiakez
03-19-2014, 03:29 AM
New map?! Anyone can confirm? Don't aprilia release some kind of news on their website or something??

sanausbe
03-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Normally they are announcing on serviceaprilia.com, under the "technical bulletins"...

For the moment, there is No announcement like that. But it should be checked in the menu of PADS.

S.

nisbeam
03-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Just had my 12k miles service (very expensive !), but anyway I got the latest ECU map available uploaded today. Result: Rain mode, ok, Touring still the same, impossible to ride steadily at 30mph due to snatchy throttle so no better than before, Sport mode much worse. When you accelerate hard from a standstill the engine cuts out momentarily that immediately picks up. The acceleration is better than Touring mode, but I tried this 4 or 5 times and it happened every time. not good. So I will be going for a Rexxer mapping next. I know how good this bike can be as I have ridden one with good mapping, pulling from 2k revs etc. , it seems this is the only way.

fredaroony
03-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Just had my 12k miles service (very expensive !), but anyway I got the latest ECU map available uploaded today. Result: Rain mode, ok, Touring still the same, impossible to ride steadily at 30mph due to snatchy throttle so no better than before, Sport mode much worse. When you accelerate hard from a standstill the engine cuts out momentarily that immediately picks up. The acceleration is better than Touring mode, but I tried this 4 or 5 times and it happened every time. not good. So I will be going for a Rexxer mapping next. I know how good this bike can be as I have ridden one with good mapping, pulling from 2k revs etc. , it seems this is the only way.

Did they tell you when the map was dated?

bazthebike
03-28-2014, 03:30 PM
hi nisbeam, where did you get service as im in southwest also. out of interest mine was demo bike, and told it had suspension and engine maps done.it seems ok to me apart from gearing. im gonna put 44t rear sprocket on, hopefully will help on those roundabouts,ho,ho,

fredaroony
03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
hi nisbeam, where did you get service as im in southwest also. out of interest mine was demo bike, and told it had suspension and engine maps done.it seems ok to me apart from gearing. im gonna put 44t rear sprocket on, hopefully will help on those roundabouts,ho,ho,

You might be better off going down one tooth in the front, a few of us have done this already.

keithc
03-28-2014, 04:43 PM
OK so the maps they put on are worse, so why not ask them to go back to the last one? Looks like its rex maps all round if Aprilai cant get it right. As for cost, how much is expensive? Just interested.

Keith C

fredaroony
03-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Not sure what's going on in the UK at the moment but there doesn't seem to be a workable Rexxer solution here right now i.e. lots of issues

I'm going to wait for quite a few others to get their bikes before even considering it.

KiwiNinja69
03-29-2014, 02:57 AM
From what I understand they can get the bottom end good or the top end good, but not at the same time. So not sure why the UK can get the Rexxer maps perfect.

nisbeam
03-29-2014, 06:18 AM
I got my service done at SP Motorcycles Exeter. I needed a new chain which was about 65 and the total was 611. But I must say they did great job. The bike wasn't just cleaned before I got it back, they seem to have replaced any parts that were a bit rusty, After winter there were a few washers & nuts that weren't the best, e.g. around the footrests etc. but the bike is back to looking like new. It even smelt new as they had obviously used the polish they use in the showroom ! So very pleased.
Just a pity it hammered down with rain and the lane leading to my house is very muddy, it looks as though it has been through a mud bath again :pissed:

bazthebike
03-29-2014, 03:33 PM
hi all, after reading your woes on mapping ive been out today and tried different scenarios, ie 2000rpm in 5th gear, 4th, 3rd,2nd, and dont seem to have any issues with snatching. just a thought but i did adjust chain from when delivered as i thought it too slack which wouldnt help with snatching.still a good inch play. my old capo,(02) did 40k on original chain and regular oiling from squeezy bottle. i think if your below 2k revs just slip clutch a bit and give it some welly,after all its a big heavy v twin. also checked fuel consumption on mixed riding and doing 44mpg. fuel light comes on about 6-7 litres left which im happy with. finally tried rain, sport, and touring and all appears good. ah well back out again tomorrow,

nisbeam
03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I have to slip the clutch on mine between 3000 & 4000 revs, it will not run at 2000 at all.

fredaroony
03-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I have to slip the clutch on mine between 3000 & 4000 revs, it will not run at 2000 at all.

That's my experience too, I still have to slip the clutch even though I lowered the front sprocket but no where near as much as before.

Mr Pope
03-30-2014, 04:22 AM
But, has as been said, when it goes for it's service, will the new map not be wiped in favour of the prilla one? Is that not then a waste of 350?

Capo1200
03-30-2014, 10:38 AM
From what I understand they can get the bottom end good or the top end good, but not at the same time. So not sure why the UK can get the Rexxer maps perfect.

Yep,my UK Rexer map is fine top and bottom! Perhaps they are using a European map as the basemap and the Aussie ECU doesn't like it?

Similar on mine before the remap. I even managed to stall it a couple of times!! I went out today (Sunday), I find the torque and exhaust noise driving it hard out of the tight bends very addictive :lover:

But, has as been said, when it goes for it's service, will the new map not be wiped in favour of the prilla one? Is that not then a waste of 350?

Yes - I told my dealer that I only require VCU updates from now on. I have covered the undertray screws with paper stickers so I'll know if they've been in there when it goes in for any recall work (servicing is done by independent mechanic).
If I did need to have the mapp reloaded by the dealer they charge 50, which is the cost to them to get a new key from Rexxer.
If you buy the Rexxer User box,just reload the map back into the ECU.

after reading your woes on mapping ive been out today and tried different scenarios, ie 2000rpm in 5th gear, 4th, 3rd,2nd, and dont seem to have any issues with snatching

You have found a good one! I'd get it stuffed and mounted!

keithc
03-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Must admit I dont have to many problem with sntacheness either. But its my 3rd Aprilia and many owners of all of these models have reported this type of problem. Not sure why I dont get this, lucky I suppose. AMybe someone who does suffer from it ned to ride my bike to see if its just me

Keith C

bazthebike
03-31-2014, 05:01 AM
also my 3rd aprilia, (02 capo, 05 tuono,), i think you have to ride them bit different from them old jap fours. more about feeling whats going on. after this sat/sun out on bike on all sort roads across exmoor i honestly cant moan about the low rev issue. even up steep road out of lynmouth with my 28" inside leg you gotta keep moving. ps seems to be averaging 44mpg.

KiwiNinja69
05-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I had the new maps install on my bike yesterday, so far I'm impressed, not fixed, but I'm pretty sure its a lot better. I haven'y had a good run yet around town yet so will comment later.

robertp
05-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I had the new maps install on my bike yesterday, so far I'm impressed, not fixed, but I'm pretty sure its a lot better. I haven'y had a good run yet around town yet so will comment later.

I found the new maps a slight improvement, but far from fixed

idiakez
05-02-2014, 12:44 AM
I found the new maps a slight improvement, but far from fixed

May i know which part is it improved at? The fuel consumption or the low rev issue?

robertp
05-02-2014, 04:38 AM
May i know which part is it improved at? The fuel consumption or the low rev issue?

Fueling at low revs has been improved very slightly

KiwiNinja69
05-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Got a decent trip home tonight and as robertp said, its a slight improvement. I'll try changing the sprocket over and see how that goes. Have you guys just been getting them off ebay?

fredaroony
05-02-2014, 04:47 AM
Got a decent trip home tonight and as robertp said, its a slight improvement. I'll try changing the sprocket over and see how that goes. Have you guys just been getting them off ebay?

Choose the 16 tooth http://metalgear.com.au/view_sprocket_model_details.php?model_id=21043

KiwiNinja69
05-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Choose the 16 tooth http://metalgear.com.au/view_sprocket_model_details.php?model_id=21043

Thanks fredaroony, just ordered one.

fredaroony
05-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Thanks fredaroony, just ordered one.

Great! Hope it makes the bike better for you.

I had the same kind of thinking as you before I changed it. Such high gearing made it a real chore to ride around town.

ACTCapo
05-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Just thinking about front sprockets - I've got a 1000km "far ride" coming up at the end of May so I'm thinking about putting the 17T back on for the longer trip. 16T is just a bit buzzy on the highway, perfect around town though.

Bryannagirl
05-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Just thinking about front sprockets - I've got a 1000km "far ride" coming up at the end of May so I'm thinking about putting the 17T back on for the longer trip. 16T is just a bit buzzy on the highway, perfect around town though.

How big a change in gearing is the 16 vs 17. Does not seem like much of a change. So how much do your cruising RPMs go up with a 16 vs 17 - been thinking about it but if it kills distance comfort will live with a little clutch slipping at low speeds.

nisbeam
05-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Just fitted my 16 tooth sprocket and been for a run about 25 miles, country lanes, dual carriageway and through town. First I will say it is no substitute for remapping, but that would be an improvement of a different kind. This of course does not let you pull smoothly from 2000k revs or remove jerky throttle at low speeds. BUT with the changed gearing that low speed becomes slower so less noticeable, and at slightly quicker speeds in town there is a big improvement so it make it much better in town. Over 30mph it is also better, and in fact I thought this is where there is more of an improvement in many ways. Around the country lanes the lower gearing make the bike quicker to pull away, tight corners are easier to maneuver and drive out of, it's generally more fun. I also thought it was great on the dual carriageway.
There is a buzzy region but not a problem just drive through and maintain a slightly higher speed (I wont say what that is :devil: ). At high speeds the revs are a little higher but not that much as to be an issue. And of course you get there that bit quicker :burnout:

Yes this is definitely worthwhile, a solid improvement at all speeds. It does also mask the poor fuelling. So I now think it may not be worth paying hundreds of pounds more for remapping, I think instead I'll see what remappings Aprilia comes out with.

fredaroony
05-03-2014, 02:20 PM

I have to say I haven't noticed that myself, is it at a certain speed? Mine is just as smooth as it was before.

ACTCapo
05-05-2014, 06:18 AM
How big a change in gearing is the 16 vs 17. Does not seem like much of a change. So how much do your cruising RPMs go up with a 16 vs 17 - been thinking about it but if it kills distance comfort will live with a little clutch slipping at low speeds.

It is about 6-7km/h difference at 5000 from memory.

ACTCapo
05-05-2014, 06:20 AM
I have to say I haven't noticed that myself, is it at a certain speed? Mine is just as smooth as it was before.

"Cruising" speed is about 500rpm too high I reckon. It's not a vibration thing, it just seems to be revving too high (for my liking anyway), particularly when using cruise control

fredaroony
05-05-2014, 06:23 AM
"Cruising" speed is about 500rpm too high I reckon. It's not a vibration thing, it just seems to be revving too high (for my liking anyway), particularly when using cruise control

Can't say I have noticed that on my bike. You notice it at 110kph?

RSTman
05-06-2014, 02:31 PM
There is something odd with the fuelling set up on the Capo. Why is there such a difference between bikes? Mine was just about OK when I took delivery. At the first service last year I assumed the ECU would be remapped or derestricted (as it seemed there was some sort of running in mode set at the factory). The bike felt EXACTLY the same after the service. I began to feel a bit fed up with the rather lack luster performance and so so low speed fuelling. Suddenly with 2000 miles on the clock the bike will pull cleanly from 2500 rpm on a light throttle and feels a lot stronger. Also I get 47 mpg (UK gals), a lot more than others. So far so good with my bike then.

KiwiNinja69
05-06-2014, 11:09 PM
There is something odd with the fuelling set up on the Capo. Why is there such a difference between bikes? Mine was just about OK when I took delivery. At the first service last year I assumed the ECU would be remapped or derestricted (as it seemed there was some sort of running in mode set at the factory). The bike felt EXACTLY the same after the service. I began to feel a bit fed up with the rather lack luster performance and so so low speed fuelling. Suddenly with 2000 miles on the clock the bike will pull cleanly from 2500 rpm on a light throttle and feels a lot stronger. Also I get 47 mpg (UK gals), a lot more than others. So far so good with my bike then.

You're lucky, I'm getting about 9 liters per 100kph, or 31mpg.

Capo9
05-07-2014, 03:34 AM
I'm still getting just over 6l/140 km. Just had a late first service and a new map installed. The bike was great before and is now marginally better.

I can ride at 2000 revs but being a big twin it is lumpy. At about 2400 revs it is acceptable, but up from there it is very smooth. Really impressed with the smooth power transmission coming off a hypermotard which was very snatched.

Got the top box today. This is an awesome bike, loving it.......

bazthebike
05-08-2014, 05:59 AM
Mine is averaging 44mpg and seems to be running well, currently bout 5500 miles on clock. Just done 212 miles on tank which included 30 miles with fuel light on. Some of this tankful was used at a rather brisk pace .

beeney
05-08-2014, 03:07 PM
42 mpg with latest map,arrow exhaust and 2 teeth up on rear sprocket,steady away keeping as high a gear as possible on bendy roads

KiwiNinja69
05-08-2014, 07:59 PM
After a bit of reading now on the latest maps I think they are a pretty good improvement on my bike with regards to the fueling issue at 3000rpm. I haven't tried it on open roads to see any difference there yet, but I don't think its helped with fuel economy, but only one tank in so far.