PDA

View Full Version : Vital set up info

Mr Pope
03-10-2014, 03:12 AM
Hi, can someone please put on here ways to set up the bike. I've pressed every button trying to find out how to change the suspension settings and only got ABS/ TCS/ Modes etc etc

Thanks in advance

fredaroony
03-10-2014, 03:48 AM
Hi, can someone please put on here ways to set up the bike. I've pressed every button trying to find out how to change the suspension settings and only got ABS/ TCS/ Modes etc etc

Thanks in advance

The suspension settings are in the same area and the choices are 1-4 then auto.

AussieMat
03-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Changed mine today.

Bottom of the 2 buttons on left side off unit scrolls through. ATC , ADD , ABS .
The top button then scrolls through levels on which ever one is selected. ADD can only be adjusted with engine running in neutral ( maybe in gear with clutch engaged. Haven't tried that though ) scrolls through pictures of helmets and suitcases ( luggage ) or auto .

Hope this helps

fredaroony
03-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Ahh yeah forgot to mention that, as Aussiemat said the bike has to be in neutral.

Mr Pope
03-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Ah, that'll be it then - bike was off! Thanks fellas :)

fredaroony
03-10-2014, 04:35 AM
Ah, that'll be it then - bike was off! Thanks fellas :)

I used to change mine a lot until I had my seat lowered but now I just leave it on 4.

bazthebike
03-10-2014, 01:35 PM
tried mine in different modes, but think auto probably best.

fredaroony
03-10-2014, 02:13 PM
tried mine in different modes, but think auto probably best.

I prefer firm suspension and auto is too soft and makes the bike more bouncy for my tastes.

dsgfh
03-10-2014, 06:24 PM
I ended up settling on Auto after playing around with different settings. For most of my riding it's perfect.

Mr Pope
03-11-2014, 04:17 AM
I tried auto initially but settled on 1 as has been said, auto is too bouncy

Problem came when I tried to take the Mrs out on the back and another time of being fully loaded

dsgfh
03-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Problem came when I tried to take the Mrs out on the back and another time of being fully loaded
Good to hear there's a difference ;-)

Mr Pope
03-12-2014, 04:18 AM
Problem is, I don't know if there is a difference as I didn't know how to change it...

mason.planft
03-19-2014, 06:12 AM
I tried the Auto mode. The flashing 'Auto' symbol gave me the sh!ts! I'm a little disappointed that the dampening is Dynamic only. I did like my old BMW's (and the new ones) ability to select modes like 'Comfort'. That was great for highway riding and coping with unexpected pot holes. The dynamic set up doesn't have time to react to unexpected lumps in otherwise smooth roads.

ChrisHall
03-19-2014, 07:02 AM
The ADD takes 10 milliseconds to change the damping from fully hard to fully soft. Unless you are riding over massive pot holes (certainly possible in the UK), the ADD can react fast enough to lumps and bumps in the road surface and smooth out the ride.

I test rode the Caponord and the 2013 water cooled R1200GS TE back to back. I rode the same test route for the comparison. The BMW was either too soft and wallowed in the bends or was too hard. I had gone out with the idea that I would buy the GS but thought I'd compare it with other "adventure" type bikes (Capo and Multistrada). Ended up buying the Caponord!

DBMG
03-19-2014, 09:57 AM
The ADD takes 10 milliseconds to change the damping from fully hard to fully soft. Unless you are riding over massive pot holes (certainly possible in the UK), the ADD can react fast enough to lumps and bumps in the road surface and smooth out the ride.

I test rode the Caponord and the 2013 water cooled R1200GS TE back to back. I rode the same test route for the comparison. The BMW was either too soft and wallowed in the bends or was too hard. I had gone out with the idea that I would buy the GS but thought I'd compare it with other "adventure" type bikes (Capo and Multistrada). Ended up buying the Caponord!

Nice informative info.. I like it.. :cheers:

fredaroony
03-19-2014, 02:48 PM
I tried the Auto mode. The flashing 'Auto' symbol gave me the sh!ts! I'm a little disappointed that the dampening is Dynamic only. I did like my old BMW's (and the new ones) ability to select modes like 'Comfort'. That was great for highway riding and coping with unexpected pot holes. The dynamic set up doesn't have time to react to unexpected lumps in otherwise smooth roads.

I feel the same and just leave mine set to 4 now as I like firm suspension. I just find that Auto wallows a bit too much for my liking.

ACTCapo
03-20-2014, 04:20 AM
The centre stand scrapes too much for my liking on Auto when riding the twisties. 4 is a lot better in this case, otherwise I just leave in Auto for around town and highway.

Has anyone adjusted the front fork preload (right fork leg)?

CoastRangeRider
03-22-2014, 01:13 AM
I am a little unsure about how the suspension works. When not using auto setting there is no dynamic damping action, just like an old fashioned suspension, right?
In the Motorcyclistonline.com first ride review it says, "In the auto setting, ADD electronically adjusts compression damping (rebound remains hydraulically controlled) in real time in response to bump energy transmitted to the bike."
I don't know what "rebound remains hydraulically controlled" means. In the auto setting, if ADD does not adjust rebound damping, then how does it change? I have not heard of any manual control for rebound damping. Is rebound damping always set to one fixed level in auto setting?

Seems a shame to buy a bike with unique active suspension and then not use it. Maybe the riders who are getting too much bouncing in auto setting weigh a lot more than those who like auto setting? Auto adjusts spring preload, but maybe bigger riders just need a higher spring rate for auto to work correctly? If the auto setting was too bouncy for me I'd be thinking of thicker suspension fluid and firmer springs, although I understand how changing to the fixed setting is a quick and easy band-aid solution. Fluid and springs are cheap compared to what you just spent on active suspension.

I'm guessing auto is ok for maximum comfort, but for faster riding pace, the setting to a fixed firmer suspension allows more speed. Is that a valid summary, or am I missing something?
Demo bikes should start to become available in the US next week and I want to be alert on what to look for during a demo ride which may be too short.

ACTCapo
03-22-2014, 01:19 AM
I'm 90kg without gear. Auto is fine for most riding I do. I notice a difference between setting 1 (solo rider) and setting 4 (pillion + luggage. The sag is less, so ride height is higher and the suspension action is noticeably firmer. Differences between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 are less noticeable, but going from 1 straight to 4 is quite different.

My only wish is that the suspension and traction control could be adjusted on the move.

ChrisHall
03-22-2014, 02:21 AM
I am a little unsure about how the suspension works. When not using auto setting there is no dynamic damping action, just like an old fashioned suspension, right?
In the Motorcyclistonline.com first ride review it says, "In the auto setting, ADD electronically adjusts compression damping (rebound remains hydraulically controlled) in real time in response to bump energy transmitted to the bike."I don't know what "rebound remains hydraulically controlled" means. In the auto setting, if ADD does not adjust rebound damping, then how does it change? I have not heard of any manual control for rebound damping. Is rebound damping always set to one fixed level in auto setting?

Seems a shame to buy a bike with unique active suspension and then not use it. Maybe the riders who are getting too much bouncing in auto setting weigh a lot more than those who like auto setting? Auto adjusts spring preload, but maybe bigger riders just need a higher spring rate for auto to work correctly? If the auto setting was too bouncy for me I'd be thinking of thicker suspension fluid and firmer springs, although I understand how changing to the fixed setting is a quick and easy band-aid solution. Fluid and springs are cheap compared to what you just spent on active suspension.

I'm guessing auto is ok for maximum comfort, but for faster riding pace, the setting to a fixed firmer suspension allows more speed. Is that a valid summary, or am I missing something?
Demo bikes should start to become available in the US next week and I want to be alert on what to look for during a demo ride which may be too short.

There are no adjusters for rebound or compression damping on the rear shock or fork legs. I had not heard that only compression damping is dynamic, which would require the rebound rate to be fixed. Aprilia claim fully active for the rear and semi active for the front, therefore both compression and rebound must be dynamic for this to be true.

The Auto setting just controls the amount of preload on the fully active rear shock. The front forks are only semi active as the preload is set manually on the right fork leg.

"In the auto setting, ADD electronically adjusts compression damping (rebound remains hydraulically controlled) in real time in response to bump energy transmitted to the bike." This statement makes no sense. All suspension damping is hydraulically controlled.

Auto setting uses the sensors to calculate the amount of preload for the rear shock. The other setting 1-4 allow the rider to control the amount of preload. Of course the load based Auto preload setting is decided by Aprilia. If it doesn't suit you then use 1-4 setting.

The ADD adjusts the damping based on your riding style, the harder you ride the tauter it becomes. Again based on what Aprilia believes is a good setting

ChrisHall
03-22-2014, 02:37 AM
See this video for a full explanation of ADD by Aprilia's Andrea Ricci Lamino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nELn-6rq-do

ADD explanation starts at 9 minutes in.

Andrea explains the inputs for the damping control at 16:20 which includes engine torque demand.
At 17:20 he explains the outputs are control of extension and compression. So both rebound and compression damping are dynamically controlled.

At 19:27 he explains that the damping is adjusted based on how the bike is being ridden.

This is the most sophisticated system currently available on an adventure style bike. Having ridden both the Multistrada S and the GS Travel Edition, I found the Caponord to be way better ride than either of them.

Mr Pope
03-22-2014, 05:17 AM
See this video for a full explanation of ADD by Aprilia's Andrea Ricci Lamino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nELn-6rq-do

ADD explanation starts at 9 minutes in.

Andrea explains the inputs for the damping control at 16:20 which includes engine torque demand.
At 17:20 he explains the outputs are control of extension and compression. So both rebound and compression damping are dynamically controlled.

At 19:27 he explains that the damping is adjusted based on how the bike is being ridden.

This is the most sophisticated system currently available on an adventure style bike. Having ridden both the Multistrada S and the GS Travel Edition, I found the Caponord to be way better ride than either of them.

Think he lost me after about 5 minutes in - interesting find though

mason.planft
03-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Call me a massive nerd, I've gotten out the calculator and worked out that at 100kmh, you're travelling at 27.8cm per 10m/seconds. I imagine that the front end data is sampled at a similar, if not faster rate that every 10m/seconds. Should give the rear end plenty of time to fully do it's thing after the front end has hit an irregularity.

I do love the Dynamic mode, when I poke it with a stick up my favourite twisties, it just feels right to be leaning on the gas. The faster you go, the better it gets! I'd still like to be able to put it in a spongey mode on my lumpy commute to my local hoon mountain though.

CoastRangeRider
03-22-2014, 11:10 AM
In the Motorcyclistonline.com first ride review it says, "In the auto setting, ADD electronically adjusts compression damping (rebound remains hydraulically controlled) in real time in response to bump energy transmitted to the bike."

Thanks for the help guys. I have quoted myself above. So concensus is, this reviewer's statement is incorrect because ADD adjusts rebound damping too?

DodgyGeezer
03-22-2014, 05:14 PM
I've read somewhere (can't remember where though) that the Auto setting will continually re-adjust the rear preload to the extent that the reduction in the weight of fuel in the tank as it is consumed will make a difference. I believe the bike has to be moving though, so you can't test this out by sitting on the bike while stationary, and taking on more weight.

ChrisHall
03-22-2014, 06:07 PM
I've read somewhere (can't remember where though) that the Auto setting will continually re-adjust the rear preload to the extent that the reduction in the weight of fuel in the tank as it is consumed will make a difference. I believe the bike has to be moving though, so you can't test this out by sitting on the bike while stationary, and taking on more weight.

Correct, as for adjusting at standstill - I think the manual says it only sets it once after the engine starts, then readjusts on the move

Thanks for the help guys. I have quoted myself above. So concensus is, this reviewer's statement is incorrect because ADD adjusts rebound damping too?

Correct

CoastRangeRider
03-23-2014, 02:45 AM
ChrisHall you make me want to buy this bike!

I think I will load bike with just myself, set to #1 for solo rider, then measure rear sag. Then repeat but set to auto instead of #1. If sag is significantly greater when set to #1, then a stiffer rear shock spring should help. I weigh 270 lbs, meaning: 122 kg.

Fredaroony, I'm curious because you say you are using setting #4 when you are riding solo with no luggage, as that works best for you. I can't help but wonder if a stiffer rear spring and the auto setting would give you both the stiffer ride you prefer, plus the active suspension (dynamic preload) benefits.

ACTCapo, bummer about the centre stand. It's all to common on many different bikes when the centre stand hits before the pegs. I so much prefer the pegs to hit first because they have some give to them. Just curious ACTCapo, when in auto setting, is your center stand touching just on bumpy corners, or even when fully leaned on a smooth corner?

fredaroony
03-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Fredaroony, I'm curious because you say you are using setting #4 when solo with no luggage, as that works best for you. I can't help but wonder if a stiffer rear spring and the auto setting would give you both the stiffer ride you prefer, plus the active suspension (dynamic preload) benefits.

Setting #4 is 2 rider with luggage i.e. the hardest setting.

keithc
03-23-2014, 02:52 PM
One of teh good things with getting old is that any modern suspension set up is wonderfull compared to that of my old BSA Bantam :)
I leave my setting on auto and find it OK either solo or two up. Never grounded the bike out to date so it suites my riding style.

Keith C

DodgyGeezer
03-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Correct, as for adjusting at standstill - I think the manual says it only sets it once after the engine starts, then readjusts on the move

Out of interest, checked the manual:

The system works in two phases:
1) With the vehicle at a standstill, the engine running, gear in idle, crutch closed, the system performs a first overall preload adjustment if certain signal constance conditions are met.
2) With the vehicle moving, the system continuously monitors various signals coming from the vehicle and if certain signal constance conditions are met, it acts on the preload to find the ideal position.
If the system has already reached the ideal position, it will make no further adjustments.
An automatic adjustment of the preload is highlighted on the digital display by symbols, a helmet and suitcase, that scroll quickly in sequence, to then return to slow scrolling when the system has completed the adjustment.

Can't say I remember ever seeing the "quick scrolling" mentioned here.

Capo9
03-24-2014, 03:32 AM
On auto my screen scrolls from 1 to 3 helmets on the screen. I'm pretty sure this applies to all bikes when in the auto mode.
like you I can't remember the quick scroll but will check tomorrow.

picked up my brand new red Capo this morning and managed to get home before a torrential downpour. Very happy man.

ChrisHall
03-24-2014, 04:46 AM
On auto my screen scrolls from 1 to 3 helmets on the screen. I'm pretty sure this applies to all bikes when in the auto mode.
like you I can't remember the quick scroll but will check tomorrow.

picked up my brand new red Capo this morning and managed to get home before a torrential downpour. Very happy man.

I can't recall seeing the quick scrolling helmets on the screen, but then I've not been looking for them. I'll get my son to climb on pillion and see if that causes them scroll quickly.

fredaroony
03-24-2014, 04:59 AM
I can't recall seeing the quick scrolling helmets on the screen, but then I've not been looking for them. I'll get my son to climb on pillion and see if that causes them scroll quickly.

It's two helmets plus a luggage symbols that scrolls through in Auto mode.

From the User manual:

"Two helmets and a suitcase blinking insequence correspond to the preload setting in automatic mode "

Capo9
03-24-2014, 04:20 PM
good point.It is a bit challenging getting 3 people on the bike. :

ChrisHall
03-25-2014, 05:53 AM
It's two helmets plus a luggage symbols that scrolls through in Auto mode.

From the User manual:

"Two helmets and a suitcase blinking insequence correspond to the preload setting in automatic mode "

Agreed. The scrolling takes two forms

1) Slow scrolling indicating Auto mode is active
2) Quick scrolling indicating that Auto mode is changing the preload setting (either stationary or on the move).

It is item 2 that is in question. Has anyone observed the quick scrolling??

Mr Pope
04-17-2014, 03:32 AM
Went to Cadwell the other day (see pic below, excellent time but that's another story) and found that over the mountain I was at a serious disadvantage because of the TCS. Every time I cracked it to get a little 'airtime' it cut out because of the Nazi under the bodywork.

My question is: does anyone know how to completely turn off the TCS as I've only found 1,2,3,3,2,1,1,2,3,3,2,1... Not, as I fancied - 0, feck all, you're on your own, adios amigo.....?

AussieMat
04-17-2014, 04:43 AM
Went to Cadwell the other day (see pic below, excellent time but that's another story) and found that over the mountain I was at a serious disadvantage because of the TCS. Every time I cracked it to get a little 'airtime' it cut out because of the Nazi under the bodywork.

My question is: does anyone know how to completely turn off the TCS as I've only found 1,2,3,3,2,1,1,2,3,3,2,1... Not, as I fancied - 0, feck all, you're on your own, adios amigo.....?

It it can be turned off by going 3, 2 , 1 then press and hold and it should turn off . Yellow warning light will stay on. Done this today.

ACTCapo
04-17-2014, 05:22 AM
As above. I've only managed to turn it off from 1. Hold a couple of seconds and release and it goes from 1 to [-] and TC light comes on. Wheelie away !!!!

Mr Pope
04-18-2014, 01:56 AM
Bugger, I obviously kept pressing and getting the numbers - must be more patient next time...