PDA

View Full Version : Steering damper update

Locky
03-06-2014, 01:25 PM
I contacted the store I ordered the gpr damper and asked them what the hold up was and got this as a reply...your money has been returned because we have been contacted by gpr saying their fitment information is wrong and they make a model for the 750 but not the 1200.. So does anyone on here know of someone that sells a kit to put a damper on the DD1200 that I could contact to purchase one?

Bloy182
03-06-2014, 05:00 PM
I didn't know they were different?

Locky
03-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I would like to get a 750 and a 1200 side by side. I think the dealer where I bought my 1200 has a 750 for sale so when I bring my 1200 in for it's first service I'm going to make a point of getting some pictures and some measurements problem is it could be something as simple as the break off bolts being closer.The best thing would of been to get a 750 damper kit and try fitting it but there has to be a reason why they returned my payment.There has to be someone out there besides me who's tried to put a damper on a 1200..............

lanter
03-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Do a search on here, its been done.

Bloy182
03-07-2014, 07:19 AM
I'm picking mine up Wednesday and my brother has the 750 I will measure up take pics and report back

mc18
03-08-2014, 02:13 PM
I don't live to far from GPR maybe I could take my bike by.

Locky
03-09-2014, 02:28 AM
If you go look on ebay (where I have been getting my parts from) you will see at least two dealers who list the part for the 1200 the one I went with I have bought from at least a dozen times and if your following this you know what happened there.I'm still waiting to get my money back through paypal.I talked to another dealer on ebay who lists them and of course he swears he has them to fit the 1200.mc18 if you could contact GPR direct and find out if they make one for the 1200 and if they do get a part number that would solve my problem fast.Or maybe we could find out if the one for the 750 fits or can be made to fit.....either way I thank you...

0D

keithdavisau
03-09-2014, 06:37 AM
This was posted previously search steering stabilizer. Not my post but a copy

I ended up going with GPR they told me to try out the Dorsoduro 750 kit and see how it fits. Everything went on pretty good except for the bracket that connects by the ignition and I had to trim about 1/16" off the base. other than that it was perfect. I took a trip to California last week ended up being 1149 miles and i really liked the way the stabilizer made the bike feel on the freeway and down aggressive switch backs. I also ordered Leo Vince exhaust because my stock gutted exhaust started to annoy me it was way to loud and pingy sounding. hopefully the Leo's are deeper.

mc18
03-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I e mailed them Satuday I will be in San Diego tomorrow I will see if I can run by there.

extreme67
03-09-2014, 05:22 PM
This was posted previously search steering stabilizer. Not my post but a copy

I ended up going with GPR they told me to try out the Dorsoduro 750 kit and see how it fits. Everything went on pretty good except for the bracket that connects by the ignition and I had to trim about 1/16" off the base. other than that it was perfect. I took a trip to California last week ended up being 1149 miles and i really liked the way the stabilizer made the bike feel on the freeway and down aggressive switch backs. I also ordered Leo Vince exhaust because my stock gutted exhaust started to annoy me it was way to loud and pingy sounding. hopefully the Leo's are deeper.

:pics:

mc18
03-10-2014, 12:55 PM
My bike is at GPR they are going to install a damper on it.

Mr.Dorso
03-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Can they take pics of the install for you? Or give a detailed explanation of how it's done?

mc18
03-10-2014, 05:34 PM
They showed me the install pictures and instructions for the 750 it looks the same. I'm sure they will take pictures if anything is different. It's going to be a week or so.

Locky
03-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks mc18 thats awesome.Could you please see if you can get a part number that way I can make sure when I order it I'm getting the correct part after my experience so far I want to cross my T's and dot my I's before I order again.I hope everything goes good for you....

mc18
03-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Thanks mc18 thats awesome.Could you please see if you can get a part number that way I can make sure when I order it I'm getting the correct part after my experience so far I want to cross my T's and dot my I's before I order again.I hope everything goes good for you....

I will post up everything I find out.

mc18
03-17-2014, 07:19 PM
GPR called bike will be done tomorrow sometime. I will pick it up Wednesday. 750 kit will not fit without modification to 1 of the parts. I will get all the details and post them here.

mc18
03-21-2014, 12:14 AM
Pics of install.
The plastic around the key needs to be trimmed.

lanter
03-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Looks good! How does it feel?

extreme67
03-29-2014, 02:43 AM
GPR called bike will be done tomorrow sometime. I will pick it up Wednesday. 750 kit will not fit without modification to 1 of the parts. I will get all the details and post them here.

Hi!
The part that needs to be modified is it only the plastic around the key or did they modify anything else.

Best regards Micke

extreme67
03-29-2014, 02:48 PM
It look´s like u rased the handelbar, if u did what did u use.

//Micke

Locky
03-30-2014, 05:59 AM
I can see why the kits are so expensive now their using special risers to mount the unit on the front end.That part looks straight forward it's what's going on under the plastic that covers the ignition that I imagine is where they had to mod.Like how are they dealing with the break off bolts that hold the ignition.How are they mounting the post by the ignition?

trainman
03-30-2014, 11:11 AM
It look´s like u rased the handelbar, if u did what did u use.

//Micke

does not look possible on mine as cables and hoses are too tight?

mc18
03-30-2014, 04:06 PM
The kit raises the bars a little bit about 1/2 inch. There will be a different part # for the 1200 kit one of the parts from the 750 kit they had to trim. The plastic part around the key needs to be trimmed. The security bolts for the ignition have to be removed. that's were part of the damper bolts to the frame. I have been waiting for the install directions and new part # from GPR. I will email them and see if they have it done.

I don't really think this bike needs a steering damper but I like Farkels. Any way went on a ride this weekend have it set on 1 it works great.

Locky
03-31-2014, 03:52 AM
Thanks mc18 if you get a number just for the 1200 or even just instructions thats going to make it doable for the rest of us.I have a Bandit 1200 and I have never read anything about them getting head
shake or stability problems.In fact just the opposite the bandits are know as big stable bikes.I drove mine for over a year and never gave a damper a thought till I was riding a road I had looped dozens of times but never came back out on but had to cause they closed part of it.On the way out of a corner that the radius decreases I hit a dip in the pavement leaned over that lets just say convinced me to start looking for one to fit the bandit.You come around a corner a bit to hot and hit a bump leaned over or sudden rise or dip that lightens the front end you'll wish you had a damper wait no you won't cause you have one.I've been riding now 41 years and had only a couple of incidents I can think about where a damper could of made a difference but when you consider that it could make the difference between you not being dead or in a wheel chair or sitting on the side of the road licking your wounds and looking at your bike wadded up.......