PDA

View Full Version : Capo vs RT

Steeltoe
03-04-2014, 06:11 PM
My riding buddy is thinking of selling his Gold Wing and Road King and getting a (gasp) BMW R 1200RT. I want to convince him to at least wait for the new Caponord to arrive here
in the USA and test ride one first. His complaint is that he can't ride fast enough thru the twisties without scraping hard parts on his existing baggers. Do you think the Capo would
be good competition for the RT? Or is the Capo more "adventure" and less "road" than the RT? What would the pros and cons be? Any opinions appreciated.

CoastRangeRider
03-04-2014, 07:00 PM
I assume you are referring to the 2014 R1200RT, as the older ones are underpowered in comparison.

The Caponord 1200 will offer less wind protection than the 2014 R1200RT, and his previous bikes offered more protection too.
The Caponord 1200 will cost less than the 2014 R1200RT, and his previous bikes cost more too.
Both offer more cornering clearance than his previous bikes, so both should solve his problem.

Finer differences like you are requesting must be described by someone who has ridden both: not me.

idiakez
03-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Aprilia cost more that BMW over there???

Markprend
03-04-2014, 10:42 PM
I just sold my 2011 RT and it is a fantastic bike. I have had the capo for about 8 months. The differences compared to the capo.

rt - too slow off the mark and not enough speed out of the corners.
Cruise control on the RT is perfect, the capo chops.
Suspension - I like the Capo better, the ride is as smooth.
Rt has more pillon space, although my partner says the ride is as good but there is vibration through the pegs
RT - more storage, although you can beef the capo up.
Aftermarket screen needed on both bikes.
RT - bigger to handle at stops due to the wide seat, capo OK
RT fuel life time - 4.91l per 100k with about 30000ks of that 2 up
Accessories on the RT that the capo hasn't got - Tyre pressure monitor (which I am hunting around for with the capo.), Bluetooth, proper fuel guage, USB ports for charging.
RT great for cruising, even two up at high speeds.
RT - not that flash in the wind.
Price wise there is around $10k difference
RT BMW service, warranty and breakdown service is superb, Capo??

Overll I loved the RT and it was sad to see it go but the Capo has a bit of arogance about it, the exhaust is sounding better, things are not falling off as much and as soon as I get the rear wheel paint and exhaust fixed, after the guard fell off again, I will be happy

Nolz
03-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Make no mistake, there is no ADVENTURE side to the Capo. It was designed to look like it could be an adventure bike, but that's probably as far as it gets. It's road focused sports tourer with emphasis on road sports, that's how I'd describe it. That's not to say people haven't taken it out bush but I am quite certain that Aprilia did not have river crossings and mud in mind when they penned the Capo.

If I were him I'd certainly hold out and at least wait for them to land in the country before making a decision.

mathew
03-05-2014, 05:13 AM
About 2 weeks after i got the capo the new RT was announce, i think i would have given it a test ride if i hadnt brought the capo, but it has the eara of an old mans bike!

Steeltoe
03-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, the RT sure seems like an old man's bike. I suppose the wind protection is better, but the exhaust note is really blahh. Plus the suspension is superior on the Capo. The Capo seems like a way more exciting ride. I think I'll test ride one myself when they arrive.

idiakez
03-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Make no mistake, there is no ADVENTURE side to the Capo. It was designed to look like it could be an adventure bike, but that's probably as far as it gets. It's road focused sports tourer with emphasis on road sports, that's how I'd describe it. That's not to say people haven't taken it out bush but I am quite certain that Aprilia did not have river crossings and mud in mind when they penned the Capo.

If I were him I'd certainly hold out and at least wait for them to land in the country before making a decision.

I think the Capo is capable of some gravel action but totally not into bashing the forest though. To me its the same category with the Ducati Multistrada i could say...But if anyone is trying to go against nature with the Capo, please do share the review/comments. :peace:

Nolz
03-06-2014, 03:25 AM
I think the MS is probably more capable, being a little lighter and smaller and with tyres that are actually designed to venture off the tarmac (within reason).

On my recent trip I took the capo on a few unsealed and gravel roads. Can't say I was thrilled with having to ride through it but it got through it ok (on the way to look outs and rest stops). Cleaning her once I got home was a lot of fun mud and gravel in all sorts of nooks :p

idiakez
03-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Well, you're right..i think the ground clearance for the Capo is not that high...but what if, we install the Capo ET1000 rims into the Capo1200..you think thats possible...im sure that will increase the ground clearance...i seriusly think a skid plate is needed for the capo..it might help to protect the below part of the bike better..

AussieMat
03-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Well, you're right..i think the ground clearance for the Capo is not that high...but what if, we install the Capo ET1000 rims into the Capo1200..you think thats possible...im sure that will increase the ground clearance...i seriusly think a skid plate is needed for the capo..it might help to protect the below part of the bike better..

hepco and becker are suppose to have a skid plate. I will post when I have more information.

keithc
03-06-2014, 01:52 PM
I like a bit of off road riding and while many big bikes wil do this (I even have an off road Goldwing 1100) its the territory for lighter bikes designed for this task.

Keith C

bazthebike
03-06-2014, 02:30 PM
If i wanted to go off road i would buy a horse, meanwhile will stick with capo

saintrider1
03-07-2014, 10:33 AM
If i wanted to go off road i would buy a horse, meanwhile will stick with capo

Totally agree, I have done a bit of off roading from time to time, sadly none of it was ever pre planned (if you follow my drift).

keithc
03-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Off road riding, on a suitable bike is great fun. And you get to learn a lot about how a bike handles in slides etc so it can really help your road riding. Especially in when you get that moment as you come round a bend to be confronted wioth gravel.

Dont do horses, they are even less pridictable then a woman :)

Keith C

Nolz
03-07-2014, 04:24 PM
When I first thought to move away from "sports-ish" bikes adventure bikes caught my eye because I've always been very dirt curious. But then the Capo happened :rolleyes: So I'll satisfy my curiosity at a later stage, might start my 1yr old on dirt bikes in a few years time.

keithc
03-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Na go get yourself a 250 dirt bike too. It great fun going off road with a few mates (or in my case even 2 sons), riding at your own pace. I wont normally go over 50MPH on the dirt as it getsa bit hairy after that.
I have a Honda CRF 250X, its way better off orad than I am though :) Been looking at a new CRF250XRL, nice bike now all I have to do is convince the wife that is a good idea :)

Keith C

Nolz
03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
You've talked me into it! Now for the little guy to grow up so I can convince the wife that I need to add another bike to the stable :)

keithc
03-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Mind you for some real fun (and possiblly pain) try one of these
They come in 450 and 550 guises, both 4 stroke v twins and in either off orad or supermoto trim :)

Keith C

Nolz
03-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Ohhh boy! Keith, mate...I really don't need any encouragement. Luckily for me I don't think they are available here.

saintrider1
03-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Keith, a good biking mate of mine has just started riding the lanes around Alton, is learning with a group called Woodley Dirt Bike Riders from just outside Reading.Looks great fun and improves riding skills I am sure.

DodgyGeezer
03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Hey, I was down at the station road cafe at Alton on sunday, on the Capo. Guy turns up on an R1 powered quad bike!!!!

Mr Pope
03-19-2014, 02:57 AM
Mind you for some real fun (and possiblly pain) try one of these

They come in 450 and 550 guises, both 4 stroke v twins and in either off orad or supermoto trim :)

Keith C

Mmmmm, SXV 550...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/chefbloke/Homer_drool_zpsc32e8dd2.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/chefbloke/media/Homer_drool_zpsc32e8dd2.jpg.html)

Fragile, noisy but very worth it..

dadsafrantic
04-29-2014, 07:28 PM
tell him to get a used first gen capo. he'll love it for 50k and then get a new capo.

GlenT
04-30-2014, 09:29 AM
If he is used to the dependability of a Gold Wing, he will not be happy with the reliability and cost of maintenance of an RT. With the 17" front wheel, I would think that the Capo is more comparable to the Multi-Strada. The other alternative (that I am thinking about) is the new V-strom 1000, which has the 19" front wheel and a reasonable amount of gizmos.

Bryannagirl
04-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Off road riding, on a suitable bike is great fun. And you get to learn a lot about how a bike handles in slides etc so it can really help your road riding. Especially in when you get that moment as you come round a bend to be confronted wioth gravel.

Dont do horses, they are even less pridictable then a woman :)

Keith C :gunner:

Hey - remember this not a boys only group - Lets not start comparing pridictability and reliability among genders - us lady riders are not so bad sir.

Ok now to the point. - As a person rider who has owned an RT and GS and a Harley fully dressed bagger I have some background to comment. First I love all bikes if it has two wheels and a motor you are good with me. But that being said there are differences among bikes even those in the same category. To me it is a matter of preference.

First for me is low speed handling and weight. There are some differences among men and women and one is upper body strength - I will be the first to admit I am not as strong as the average man - but I am stronger then some. Point is you need to be comfortable with the bikes size and weight both in parking lots and on the road. The RT does feel heavy. So does a bagger but the Harley is easier to manage at low speeds and the RT much better at high speed. Both are pigs to push around. The Capo does not seem that heavy and is amazingly well balanced at low speeds. So for me I am more comfortable with the Capo then I would of been with the RT. But a larger stronger person may not notice the difference.

Wind protection - BMW BMW BMW enough said! In my opinion BMW RT has the best wind management of any bike on the road. Some opinions may differ but they are wrong ;)

Handling - Capo!

Suspension - Capo!

Luggage - RT - but not by much and add ons are much cheaper for Aprilia - RT top box $800 plus. Capo $400 with everything including passenger back rest.

Electronics - well BMW is the winner, but not a real killer for me the only thing really missing is Tire Pressure but that is an easy add on. so again not huge for me. For me a bike must have cruise and Harley, BMW, and Capo have it Multi does not. Do wish Capo had the keyless system like Multi - that is amazing for a motorcycle. wish every bike manufacture would make it standard.

After market - BMW,BMW, BMW always has been better always will be better. The good news is the things I want are coming or already here with more choices coming. In the long run I will be able to buy want I want. The Capo will probably be the best supported Aprilia ever - yea!

Value - Capo! This is a slam dunk. I paid $15k out the door - I dare you to find a bike from anyone that is a better value. They priced it to sell so start shipping more I will be glad to carry the banner.

A girls opinion :)

GlenT
04-30-2014, 04:31 PM
The only comment that I would add to Bryannagirl's comments, is that the BMW electronics have a tendency to fail in expensive ways. I was riding with three BMW RT owners on the Easter long weekend, who were comparing notes on reliability. Two of the three had failed ESAs with the shock either frozen in one configuration, or not responding (or seeming to not respond) to drive mode changes. All three of them had fuel gauge problems and fuel range computer problems. One found that the fuel gauge issue had also effected all of the ride modes and info displays. All three had pending fuel pump replacements due to a recall (but no parts available from Germany). One had a slow leak in the rear rim due to a failed gasket on (ironically) the tire pressure monitor. One had intermittent interlock problems on the OEM theft protection system. One had just ordered four spark plugs and was presented a bill of $100 by the dealer. Another had ordered 3 sets of brake pads @ $450 from the dealer. The list goes on.

Bryannagirl
04-30-2014, 04:40 PM
The only comment that I would add to Bryannagirl's comments, is that the BMW electronics have a tendency to fail in expensive ways. I was riding with three BMW RT owners on the Easter long weekend, who were comparing notes on reliability. Two of the three had failed ESAs with the shock either frozen in one configuration, or not responding (or seeming to not respond) to drive mode changes. All three of them had fuel gauge problems and fuel range computer problems. One found that the fuel gauge issue had also effected all of the ride modes and info displays. All three had pending fuel pump replacements due to a recall (but no parts available from Germany). One had a slow leak in the rear rim due to a failed gasket on (ironically) the tire pressure monitor. One had intermittent interlock problems on the OEM theft protection system. One had just ordered four spark plugs and was presented a bill of $100 by the dealer. Another had ordered 3 sets of brake pads @ $450 from the dealer. The list goes on.

German engineering has its price ;)