PDA

View Full Version : Indicator issues

Paul W
03-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Hey all,
Anyone else had an issue with their stock indicators breaking?
I walked out of the garage today, and happened to glance at my indicator (rear left) and it's broken! It hasn't been down, or had anything happen to it (like close lane splitting or anything).
Also, any ideas how to best temporarily repair it? Obviously glue is needed, but it's needs a splint or something to hold it upright whilst the glue sets.
Badword.

trainman
03-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Hey all,
Anyone else had an issue with their stock indicators breaking?
I walked out of the garage today, and happened to glance at my indicator (rear left) and it's broken! It hasn't been down, or had anything happen to it (like close lane splitting or anything).
Also, any ideas how to best temporarily repair it? Obviously glue is needed, but it's needs a splint or something to hold it upright whilst the glue sets.
Badword.

Hi
you may find that a non original new one might fit as a lot of bikes use a standard part?
if you do repair you could use a short piece of black plastic tube/pipe, cut a slit down length and glue inside around broken stub, use a ty wrap to hold until dry

I don't think gluing whats there will last, the thing will vibrate!

Mr.Dorso
03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
I've had two break now, the rear right and I used cement glue which held until the new one arrived.

To glue, I removed lens and bulb and place black indicator housing against flat wall, use tape to hold against wall and apply glue and sit broken flexi bit on top.
Needs to be removed from bike to do this. Hope that makes sense.

Who has replaced stock indicators? Looking at changing to the 'rizoma action' indicators, not sure about the wiring though if a resistor is needed or not..

Paul W
03-02-2014, 03:48 PM
I've had two break now, the rear right and I used cement glue which held until the new one arrived.

To glue, I removed lens and bulb and place black indicator housing against flat wall, use tape to hold against wall and apply glue and sit broken flexi bit on top.
Needs to be removed from bike to do this. Hope that makes sense.

Who has replaced stock indicators? Looking at changing to the 'rizoma action' indicators, not sure about the wiring though if a resistor is needed or not..
Thanks Mr Dorso. Did you claim this under warranty?

And great idea trainman, I'll try that.

Mr.Dorso
03-02-2014, 08:43 PM
no warranty claim, just got one off ebay

Mr.Dorso
03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
our dealers in vic are also not the best to deal with, took 6 months for them to send off a warranty claim for paint issues and still i have heard nothing back! easier and less hassle to ebay it

Paul W
03-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks Mr Dorso.
How hard is it to fully remove the indicator, namely the lead to the indicator? Is it just a plug and play sort of concept?

Mr.Dorso
03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes pretty easy. Remove the clear lens (1 screw), and take out silver insert with bulb in it, behind that there are 2 wires which slide on to prongs. Slide connector off prongs and you can slide off the indicator housing.
To remove indicator from tail tidy: Undo the 1 screw which holds the indicator to rear tail to release the flexi mount which is still attached to bike, rotate it 180 degrees and it will slide out.

Mr.Dorso
03-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Pic below of indicator apart, and how i tape'd to wall so broken bit could sit on top till glue set.
I think this one is an aftermarket one (ordered from wrong guy on ebay, first one ordered was original) so cable colours might be different, don't use this as a reference for cabling!

Paul W
03-04-2014, 10:27 PM
You, Mr Dorso, are a dead set legend!
Glue applied, now waiting....

Mr.Dorso
03-04-2014, 11:55 PM
:peace:

Fagin
04-02-2014, 04:16 AM
I'm looking into this for a mate who is suffering the same issues. Anyone shed any light on the location of the connector to remove the broken indicator to replace with a new item......many thanks in advance!