PDA

View Full Version : R&G gards

keithc
02-17-2014, 12:33 PM
OK so a picture is now avaialable and I am told they will be out really soon. Not sure yet but I wil let you knwo when I se them in the flesh.

Keith C

CoastRangeRider
02-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Ugly hoop of metal.
For looks I'm thinking about going with the Puig instead, and leaving the rest of the crash protection up to my insurance company.

keithc
02-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Must admit that looking at the picture I wil probally go teh Puig route myself. But I wil wait till I see the product in the flesh

Keith C

fredaroony
02-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Must admit that looking at the picture I wil probally go teh Puig route myself. But I wil wait till I see the product in the flesh

Keith C

The puig look better but I think these would offer more fairing protection.

Nolz
02-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Definitely need to see more pics, from different angles. Right now if I was to make a call, I'd say I'm pretty happy I went with the Puig bars.

DodgyGeezer
02-18-2014, 05:02 AM
Here's a couple more photos. Not sure about them.

Nolz
02-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Looks like fairing protection was high on their priority list. With the amount that they stick out I guess the engine should hopefully steer clear of road rash too.

I'd imagine it'd make the Capo look even more top heavy than it does normally. The puig bars gave the bike a little more balance, aesthetically.

I guess we can't have it all.

fredaroony
02-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Looks like fairing protection was high on their priority list. With the amount that they stick out I guess the engine should hopefully steer clear of road rash too.

I'd imagine it'd make the Capo look even more top heavy than it does normally. The puig bars gave the bike a little more balance, aesthetically.

I guess we can't have it all.

You forgot to mention a lot easier to install!! Looks like you don't need to remove the fairing for these.

Nolz
02-18-2014, 05:27 AM
That was a learning experience in itself. Also, no need to get behind the frame to access the nut impossible! R&G definitely wins there. They are growing on me a little.

idiakez
02-18-2014, 07:02 AM
I wonder how does it look from far....

keithc
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Well I have decided I will go with the R&G ones as they offer more protection than the Puig ones and still dont tlook as domineering as the HB ones. oNce I have them fitted I wil take some piccies fro various angles and post them here.

Keith C

fredaroony
02-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Wow, just looked at the price and they aren't cheap! 233 pounds.

Nolz
02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Well I have decided I will go with the R&G ones as they offer more protection than the Puig ones and still dont tlook as domineering as the HB ones. oNce I have them fitted I wil take some piccies fro various angles and post them here.

Keith C
Excellent! Between the dozen or so members here we've just about got all the Caponord 1200 accessories covered :)

beeney
02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
id be worried that if the bike fell on its side,the bar would push against the tank and fairing and damage it anyway,and looking at the left hand mount,it looks like it could push against and possibly dint/mark the frame,and with it fitted you still get the exhaust,handlebar guard,mirror etc damaged.the puig looks a nicer item,but again,would it protect the tank/fairing or anything else.if they were a cheap option i might fit but i don't see the benefits at that price.i stuck the r&g bobbins on,but with the bobbins off a triumph sprint,as the ones for the capo don't stick out far enough to offer protection

keithc
02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
While I agree with beeny's points, I am sceptical about how effective the Puig bars would be in a tumble. I say this because
They wont protect the sides of the tank at all.
They are made of aluminium I understand. Not know for its impact strength.
They do look nicer though.
Also the R&G ones, like those from H&B do give more options for additional lighting and maybe even some small strap on bags like these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wunderlich-Tank-Protection-Bar-Bag-Set-BMW-R1200GS-Adventure-/251212272675?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a7d6b1423

Keith C

Nolz
02-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Puig bars won't offer much fairing protection unless its a of a tip over when stationary, or a very slow speed drop. The are more of a glorified frame slider, with better protection for the motor.

Mr Pope
02-19-2014, 03:21 AM
So, having lashed out on a rad guard and zorst band, I'm thinking of these mushrooms - which Triumph ones fit the Capo?

beeney
02-19-2014, 03:28 PM
i bought the standard r&g kit,but the standard bobbins are small tear drop shaped ones which don't stick far enough out in my opinion,so i had some longer triumph ones from a tiger 1050/sprint 1050 and fitted those instead243663

beeney
02-19-2014, 03:34 PM
these have appeared today
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=aprilia+caponord+1200&_sop=10

idiakez
02-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Geee...almost all of the accessories can't be send to South East Asia.....

fredaroony
02-20-2014, 02:31 AM

idiakez
02-20-2014, 04:05 AM
Looks like they do http://www.ebay.com.sg/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=caponord+1200&_sacat=0&_from=R40

AAgggghhhh! you're gonna make me go broke...hahahaha

mason.planft
02-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I've installed the Touratech ones. One thing they look to have in common is the chassis mounting. It maybe true that they wont survive a major bingle, but even a stationary tip over can cost you a fortune. Another thing that I know from experience, in a low-side stack, having the extra width of the bars can stop the bike falling on your leg and grinding your knee in nasty ways.
I'd been watching too many motard videos on Youtube and decided to try backing my GSA into some hairpins, 260kg of motard fun! Go at a hairpin flat-out in 3rd, punch it into 2nd when tipping it in, then hit the gas into the apex and lay a nice black strip on exit243757. It was hilarious fun right up to the point where it all went horribly wrong!

CoastRangeRider
04-07-2014, 08:36 PM

Keith C

Wondering on your results with the R&G crash bars. Did you pull the trigger, as they say?
I just noticed hectorkvs posted some fine pictures of the Hepco Becker bars in the Photo Gallery.
It would be nice to see similar angles with the R&G bars in the gallery, Keith.

Obviously the Puig bars offer less protection, although they don't hurt the eyes too much.
I like the way the HB bars follow the lines of the bike and provide a place to mount auxiliary lighting.

keithc
04-08-2014, 12:49 PM
HI

R&G guards are not available yet, so I cant comment. I have ordered a set so might even end up with the first ones fitted :)

Keith C