PDA

View Full Version : Rexxer ECU remap - done!

Capo1200
02-08-2014, 01:58 PM
[posted under a new ID to protect the guilty ]

Rode the Capo last weekend as we actually had some dry roads. I got so p*ssed off with the crappy fuelling, I thought sod that, enough is enough, I have had it with Aprilia's fuelling. So I bit the bullet and shelled out 350 for a Rexxer ECU remap.
I managed to get out on it between the showers today and it is a completely different bike, it's now the bike I thought I'd bought :cheers:

Snatchy throttle - gone! Roll on the throttle and just seamless power
Surging - gone! 20mph in 2nd, 30mph in 3rd no problem at all in town now; smooth as a baby's posterior (as much as big v-twin can be)
Really good torque now at 2000rpm and it will even pull below that! Engine is really smooth now. Roll on spring.
Lambda sensors are now switched off, Thankfully.

Well chuffed.

I'll post the dyno charts once I get them.

fredaroony
02-08-2014, 04:41 PM
[posted under a new ID to protect the guilty ]

Rode the Capo last weekend as we actually had some dry roads. I got so p*ssed off with the crappy fuelling, I thought sod that, enough is enough, I have had it with Aprilia's fuelling. So I bit the bullet and shelled out 350 for a Rexxer ECU remap.
I managed to get out on it between the showers today and it is a completely different bike, it's now the bike I thought I'd bought :cheers:

Snatchy throttle - gone! Roll on the throttle and just seamless power
Surging - gone! 20mph in 2nd, 30mph in 3rd no problem at all in town now; smooth as a baby's posterior (as much as big v-twin can be)
Really good torque now at 2000rpm and it will even pull below that! Engine is really smooth now. Roll on spring.
Lambda sensors are now switched off, Thankfully.

Well chuffed.

I'll post the dyno charts once I get them.

The maps must be very recent as they haven't updated their website yet.

Nolz
02-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Be sure to let us know how it changes your fuel economy. Perhaps after the initial few weeks of playing with the new bike. Once you get settled into it again :)

ka-ching! That's the sound of the cash register as I look to hand over my money for a tune :p

Actually, I'll wait until warranty is up before I get into that game. I'm always one to get my cars tuned and so far it's been trouble free. A little scared to chance it on the Capo just yet.

Capo1200
02-09-2014, 01:53 AM
fredaroony: You're right! Rexxer list the Dorsduro 1200 as a "new" supported bike, but not the Caponord. I have been in contact with Christian at Rexxer since September last year. The MM 7SM ECU needed new hardware to remap the ECU, which why its taken so long. I didn't buy a "Rexxer User" box. I left the bike with a Rexxer a dealer who produced a custom map on the dyno.

"Be sure to let us know how it changes your fuel economy" - I will, The AFR graph showed in running lean at lower revs then enriching massively at mid to top of the rev range. It might be too much to hope that the fuel economy will be slightly better.

I forgot to mention - as it now has plenty of grunt low down, pulling away no longer needs a handful of throttle and slipping the clutch.

Capo1200
02-09-2014, 02:01 AM
I think it's worth mentioning that when the Rexxer dealer test road my bike, he said it was one of the worst fuelling bikes he's ridden. I bought the Caponord on the strength of a test ride and the demo bike was much better than the one supplied to me 2 months later. There does seem to be quite a variation between individual bikes. Perhaps the one I ended up with was a poor one!

The morale of the story is if you like what you see on the test ride, buy the demo bike!

robertp
02-09-2014, 02:19 AM
I think it's worth mentioning that when the Rexxer dealer test road my bike, he said it was one of the worst fuelling bikes he's ridden. I bought the Caponord on the strength of a test ride and the demo bike was much better than the one supplied to me 2 months later. There does seem to be quite a variation between individual bikes. Perhaps the one I ended up with was a poor one!

The morale of the story is if you like what you see on the test ride, buy the demo bike!

It sounds like my bike runs much the same as yours did. I've had a set of Fatduc's fitted yesterday and the bike has settled considerably, much more rideable in lower revs and a lot less surging. I'll see how they go over the next week or so, but I can see a Rexxer remap looming in the near future for me!

Nolz
02-09-2014, 02:36 AM

Only when they are giving massive discounts for the demo bike of course :)

Interesting you mentioned how poorly your bike ran. I've read a few posts from people with what seems to be massive issues with the fueling. Mine *touch wood* seems to be fine for the type of riding I do so far (usually out of town but I do need to get through a heap of stop start traffic to get there). So much so that I was really wondering what all the fuss was about. Must be the variation between bikes that you mention.

robertp
02-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Only when they are giving massive discounts for the demo bike of course :)

Interesting you mentioned how poorly your bike ran. I've read a few posts from people with what seems to be massive issues with the fueling. Mine *touch wood* seems to be fine for the type of riding I do so far (usually out of town but I do need to get through a heap of stop start traffic to get there). So much so that I was really wondering what all the fuss was about. Must be the variation between bikes that you mention.

Sounds like you've been lucky. I've had Lambda sensors replaced under warranty and now resorted to the fatducs. Some days my bike is almost unrideable between 3 - 4k revs with throttle barely open, which makes commuting really difficult. It's really strange, some days its better than others.

Nolz
02-09-2014, 03:17 AM
Very odd. And sucks for you, very disappointing for a new bike. Looking into this rexxer tune (or the like) then?

robertp
02-09-2014, 03:40 AM
Very odd. And sucks for you, very disappointing for a new bike. Looking into this rexxer tune (or the like) then?

So far the fatduc's have the bike running pretty well, but have proved problematic for others so I'll see how they go, but if they need continual adjustment to keep the bike running well then definitely looking at a Rexxer remap or similar.

nisbeam
02-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Does the Rexxer remap mean you no longer has 3 modes to switch ? And does anything show on the dash ? Thanks.

P.S. yes I removed my fatducs as in the UK the drop in temperature seems to mess up the mapping, hence why i'm selling them now.

Capo1200
02-09-2014, 05:18 AM

My bike ran fine for 1 days on a 10 day tour in Spain. I stopped for lunch and it was back to it's old surging again in the afternoon.

Sounds like you've been lucky. I've had Lambda sensors replaced under warranty and now resorted to the fatducs. Some days my bike is almost unrideable between 3 - 4k revs with throttle barely open, which makes commuting really difficult. It's really strange, some days its better than others.

This is exactly how mine was. Fat-Ducs do seem to be temperature dependent and need slight adjustment as the air temperature changes

Capo1200
02-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Does the Rexxer remap mean you no longer has 3 modes to switch ? And does anything show on the dash ? Thanks..

I still have the 3 riding modes. I tried all 3 today and they ride as before and are all fine, no surging or snatching. The dealer had to map each mode separately, so contrary to an earlier post there are different fuel maps for each mode.

Nothing shows on the dash,just the usual T, S or R

Also noted on today's ride, the high frequency vibration through the footpegs has gone. That was really annoying on long rides.

I've spent thousands on bikes over the years, exhausts, power commanders, decat pipes etc. This is the by far the best 350 I've spent in along time.

p.s. They dealer had to turn off the traction control whilst the bike was on the dyno. It took me about half and hour to work how to switch it back on! (Aprilia's manual is not the best I've ever read)

The dealer must have the latest Rexxer hardware. The earlier versions of the hardware cannot be used on the Caponord

nisbeam
02-09-2014, 09:49 AM
So.... who was the dealer :-) do tell !! - forgot to ask, do you have the standard exhaust as well?

Capo1200
02-09-2014, 12:29 PM
So.... who was the dealer :-) do tell !! - forgot to ask, do you have the standard exhaust as well?

I used DWR motorcycles in Aylesbury. They have been very helpful. I think they are the only Rexxer dealer in the UK with the latest hardware.
I have the standard exhaust. I asked if they could set the exhaust valve to full open. They can, but it made no discernable difference on the dyno so it set as standard at the moment.

foot_loose
02-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Near for me then. That is tempting. Perhaps for my birthday.

Capo1200
02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Drop in and have a chat with Dave jnr, he does all the dyno work.
The Caponord 1200 is officially the worst bike they've had on the dyno.

idiakez
02-09-2014, 06:50 PM
ok im kinda lost here...so the caponord will have problems when there's a change in temperature? we're talking about the weather right? how low/high temperature are we talking about here?

I thought the 3000rpm jerking problem have been solve by Aprilia, updating the maps. It's still having problems?

:confused: :eek:

Capo1200
02-10-2014, 01:51 AM
ok im kinda lost here...so the caponord will have problems when there's a change in temperature? we're talking about the weather right? how low/high temperature are we talking about here?

I thought the 3000rpm jerking problem have been solve by Aprilia, updating the maps. It's still having problems?

:confused: :eek:

In an effort to cure to surging caused by lean fueling to meet emission regulations, some owners have fitted a device called a fatduc in line with two lambda sensors. These crude devices fool the ECU into thinking the engine is running even leaner so it adds more fuel, so the engine actually runs richer, solving the problem. I was able to get the engine to run slightly better with fatducs fitted, however small changes in air temp/pressure/humidity seemed to affect the running requiring the fatducs to be adjusted, which is a bit tedious

I had the map update and I noticed no difference.

idiakez
02-10-2014, 02:03 AM
In an effort to cure to surging caused by lean fueling to meet emission regulations, some owners have fitted a device called a fatduc in line with two lambda sensors. These crude devices fool the ECU into thinking the engine is running even leaner so it adds more fuel, so the engine actually runs richer, solving the problem. I was able to get the engine to run slightly better with fatducs fitted, however small changes in air temp/pressure/humidity seemed to affect the running requiring the fatducs to be adjusted, which is a bit tedious

I had the map update and I noticed no difference.

Ahh...i see...i cannot imagine how it feel right now so I just have to wait till I ride it...hopefully soon..

Nolz
02-10-2014, 05:26 AM
Don't go looking for problems mate. You could be one of the lucky ones and have no real issue at all.

For me it was getting used to feathering the clutch and throttle at lower speeds to begin with. Over time it's become second nature and a part of riding a big twin.

It would appear that those with problems are rare, others have solved minor issues with a sprocket/gearing change.

RSTman
02-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Rexxer re-map - Emissions in the UK.
Presumably the Rexxer re-map causes non-compliance of emissions regs?
If so is there a risk of the bike failing a UK MOT test, now or at some time in the future? I think the MOT test for bikes is already more comprehensive than it used to be.
Perhaps one of the maps, R for example, could be left as is?

Capo1200
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Rexxer re-map - Emissions in the UK.
Presumably the Rexxer re-map causes non-compliance of emissions regs?
If so is there a risk of the bike failing a UK MOT test, now or at some time in the future? I think the MOT test for bikes is already more comprehensive than it used to be.
Perhaps one of the maps, R for example, could be left as is?

Possibly. I wasn't aware that the current bike MOT has any emissions check. Failure would depend on the emission levels set.

Globalone
02-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Tempting Is there a place up north then?

ChrisHall
02-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Check dealers here (http://www.rexxer.eu/e_kontakt.cfm)

I can tell you that BSD performance in Peterborough don't have the latest Rexxer hardware and have no plans to buy it (1200).

Chris

dsgfh
02-11-2014, 03:23 PM
The bike definitely hunts a little under 50kph, but having come from an RSVR with pipes & an open loop mapping it's still substantially smoother. I guess I've come to grow used to using the clutch under 25kph anyway over the last 8 years.

That said, I commute daily on the bike & once I've snicked up into second, sitting at 35-40kph really isn't so terrible as to declare the bike flawed, or even annoying. It just is what it is. Sure, the BMW is smoother, but then I complained that its engine was bland when I rode it. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you can feel a pea under a pile of mattresses when you sleep at night.

Capo1200
02-11-2014, 05:50 PM
It could be that in Aus you have a different engine mapping as you don't need to comply with the EUSSR's emission regulations. If I've paid 12K for a bike I expect the engine to hold the bike at a constant speed with surging. The best way to describe mine (as I did to the dealer) was that it had a misfire. They checked it over and no, this is how it runs. My 1989 Kawasaki runs better! Progress my ar*e. Btw the bike I had would be likened to a boulder under the mattress - you definitely know about it!

KiwiNinja69
02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
It could be that in Aus you have a different engine mapping as you don't need to comply with the EUSSR's emission regulations. If I've paid 12K for a bike I expect the engine to hold the bike at a constant speed with surging. The best way to describe mine (as I did to the dealer) was that it had a misfire. They checked it over and no, this is how it runs. My 1989 Kawasaki runs better! Progress my ar*e. Btw the bike I had would be likened to a boulder under the mattress - you definitely know about it!

I don't believe there is any different in the engine mapping in Australia. I'm with you, mine feels like its missing badly. Maybe I've got a so called bad one. It was the first one in Oz so maybe there has been slight changes to others as they have been released. I have noticed it only seems to be the early purchases of the Capo that complain about the missing on here.

robertp
02-11-2014, 10:15 PM
The bike definitely hunts a little under 50kph, but having come from an RSVR with pipes & an open loop mapping it's still substantially smoother. I guess I've come to grow used to using the clutch under 25kph anyway over the last 8 years.

That said, I commute daily on the bike & once I've snicked up into second, sitting at 35-40kph really isn't so terrible as to declare the bike flawed, or even annoying. It just is what it is. Sure, the BMW is smoother, but then I complained that its engine was bland when I rode it. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you can feel a pea under a pile of mattresses when you sleep at night.

You have been lucky .... it seems some bikes are better than others. I do find it annoying but enjoy the bike enough to want to resolve the lean fueling issues mine has.

idiakez
02-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Guess i will update how's my Singapore based Capo gonna be like when i take it out tomorrow...will keep u guys posted.

Capo1200
02-12-2014, 01:46 AM
I find most of the mechanics at Aprilia dealerships are as subtle and sensitive as a flying circular saw.

The tests I used are as follows
Lean surging: from 2000rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, allow the engine revs to rise slowly to 5000rpm. If you have a bad one, it will feel like a misfire, in that the engine note and drive will pulse (surge).

snatchy throttle: roll-off into a clear roundabout, lean the bike over still on the over-run, now open the throttle, engine comes in with a "bang". If you're feeling brave try this in the wet on TC setting 3 and watch the lights (been there, seen it done it!). If you're feeling very brave and confident your bike has good fueling, try it in the wet, with the TC switch off (not been there!). Obviously this not how you would normally ride a roundabout, but it does exaggerate the problem because the bike is lent over.

After these tests, the dealership agreed that the fueling was rubbish and would report this back to Aprilia. The only response I got back was "they all do this, sir". "Our hands are tied by emission regs".

robertp
02-12-2014, 02:35 AM
I find most of the mechanics at dealerships are as subtle and sensitive as a flying circular saw.

The tests I used are as follows
Lean surging: from 2000rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, allow the engine revs to rise slowly to 5000rpm. If you have a bad one, it will feel like a misfire, in that the engine note and drive will pulse (surge).

snatchy throttle: roll-off into a clear roundabout, lean the bike over still on the over-run, now open the throttle, engine comes in with a "bang". If you're feeling brave try this in the wet on TC setting 3 and watch the lights (been there, seen it done it!). If you're feeling very brave and confident your bike has good fueling, try it in the wet, with the TC switch off (not been there!). Obviously this not how you would normally ride a roundabout, but it does exaggerate the problem because the bike is lent over.

After these tests, the dealership agreed that the fueling was rubbish and would report this back to Aprilia. The only response I got back was "they all do this, sir". "Our hands are tied by emission regs".

Well said .... definitely more pronounced on the roundabout scenario especially the small tight ones!!!

idiakez
02-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Will definitely try the first test... not sure about the 2nd one though.... :p:

I have no idea whats the emission regs in SG but will find out soon enough.

Globalone
02-12-2014, 04:18 AM
Check dealers here (http://www.rexxer.eu/e_kontakt.cfm)

I can tell you that BSD performance in Peterborough don't have the latest Rexxer hardware and have no plans to buy it (1200).

Chris

Thanks for the link, all agents down south so I will have to make a trip when it gets warmer.

Judging by the interest this topic is generating I believe fueling is an issue, how bad is up to the individual and how many Italian Vee twins you have owned.

I own a Caponord ETV 1000 and that had fueling issues which people tolerated or learnt to live with. I fitted a power commander in the early days which lessened the symptoms but did not fully cure the rough running at low revs and low demand. Now the ECU is cracked and open source software (TuneECU) is available for the enthusiast to remap the system the bike has evolved into a different machine. the ETV forum is full of testament to that. My bike is now a joy to ride slowly in traffic, with the added benefit of improved fuel economy.

Slightly off topic, I own a diesel Merc which has been remapped, what a difference!, forget the new dymo figures which are a vast improvement, a car which I would have said was not bad to drive and certainly did not have the problems of the Caponords has got smoother and it pulls like a train, and as a benefit my weekly average mpg has gone from 33 to 39 mpg.

If there is any chance I can get similar improvements out of the 1200 Capo then count me in, its got to be worth 350

Capo1200
02-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the link, all agents down south so I will have to make a trip when it gets warmer.

Judging by the interest this topic is generating I believe fueling is an issue, how bad is up to the individual and how many Italian Vee twins you have owned.

The only other V-twins I've owned were Ducati 998 and a 998S of 2002 vintage. These fueled perfectly if I remember. Of course the emission regs on bikes then was not as strict

Now the ECU is cracked and open source software (TuneECU) is available for the enthusiast to remap the system the bike has evolved into a different machine. the ETV forum is full of testament to that. My bike is now a joy to ride slowly in traffic, with the added benefit of improved fuel economy.

I hope that as we get more data on Caponord 1200 ECU we will see further improvements in the 3rd party mappings.

nisbeam
02-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Comparison with another Italian V twin:
I had a Tuono 1000R before the Capo. It was smooth & progressive and easy to ride at low rev, pulling away cleanly. That said, It had a full Akropovic system & PowerCommander. By comparison the Capo 1200 feels lumpy & crude with a lack of power until the revs build. BUT I still love riding the bike and have got used to it, keeping the revs a little higher and using the torque. So I wondered if it could be better using the same engine - the answer is YES. For a brief period while my Fatducs were tuned in the difference was massive. It would pull away cleanly from 2000 revs, no hesitation, I could change up into top gear early and just pull away on torque, low speed in town were no problem, the bike even sounded (slightly) better. Unfortunately the Fatduc option is only stable until the weather changes and temp. variations mean they need to be adjusted again, so I took them off. So I have seen the difference, and cant wait to get my bike remapped to feel the full effect all the time, I am sure it will be transformed. Just got to save up a bit more....

ChrisHall
02-12-2014, 11:07 AM
So I have seen the difference, and cant wait to get my bike remapped to feel the full effect all the time, I am sure it will be transformed. Just got to save up a bit more....

In my view a Caponord ECU remap should be available on the National Health. A happy biker is a safe biker!

Capo1200
02-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Comparison with another Italian V twin:
I had a Tuono 1000R before the Capo. It was smooth & progressive and easy to ride at low rev, pulling away cleanly. That said, It had a full Akropovic system & PowerCommander. By comparison the Capo 1200 feels lumpy & crude with a lack of power until the revs build. BUT I still love riding the bike and have got used to it, keeping the revs a little higher and using the torque. So I wondered if it could be better using the same engine - the answer is YES. For a brief period while my Fatducs were tuned in the difference was massive. It would pull away cleanly from 2000 revs, no hesitation, I could change up into top gear early and just pull away on torque, low speed in town were no problem, the bike even sounded (slightly) better. Unfortunately the Fatduc option is only stable until the weather changes and temp. variations mean they need to be adjusted again, so I took them off. So I have seen the difference, and cant wait to get my bike remapped to feel the full effect all the time, I am sure it will be transformed. Just got to save up a bit more....

Although I've only had about 20 mins riding with the remap in place, I would say that we are approaching Caponord nirvana. Mine is the first they've remapped, so as more bikes are mapped worldwide with Rexxer, the adjustments should get better and better. Not only does it have the fueling map, there is the ignition timing map, exhaust value and lambda sensors disabling. The secondary butterflies rpm opening point and speed of opening can be changed. There is also a torque map is there as well, which I assume works with FBW thottle. Plus all the VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY (VE) tables for air pressure, air temperature, engine coolant temperature etc.

BTW - The ECU contents are decoded by Alientech. (http://www.alientech-to.it/en) The firmware in MM IAW 7SM ECU on the Caponord is not the same as one on RSV4 which has been around for a while (V-twin-v4 obviously!), so I think there is still some tweaking to be done on the settings. All good fun!

Mr Pope
02-13-2014, 05:07 AM
Mr 1200 - OK, cost is 350 (plus VAT?) and how long does it take? Could I sit around waiting whilst it's done?

Capo1200
02-13-2014, 06:53 AM
350 in VAT
It would be best to call them. Mine was the first they'd done so I left the bike with them 2 weeks to sort out the communications with ECU. As I said in a earlier post the 7SM ECU on the Capo has new firmware. reading the stream of data is no problem, interpreting it into something meaningful is the hard bit, which is where AlienTech come in.

Now all that's been sorted it should take them less than a day I would have thought. They did tell me that an BMW S1000RR now takes about an hour because they have done so many.

Globalone
02-13-2014, 07:10 AM
A question. Can the new map be loaded with the ECU off the bike,
ie Remove ECU Post down, remap and return to sender
obviously no tweaking for aftermarket cans or stage two air filter but could be an option for stock setups

Globalone
02-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Not sure why the need to hide identity.
or is that the way forward new thread new identity

Capo1200
02-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Here is the before and after dyno graph. I've checked that both runs were done in T mode. It's pretty shocking! As standard it was kicking out 78 bhp at the rear wheel, and it felt like it! Where have all those rampant italian horses gone?? The EUSSR opened the stable door and they've bolted!

The remap has rounded them up and their back in the engine where they belong. The computed bhp at the crankshaft was 128bhp - bang on Aprilia's claimed power. Of course this means the torque is up throughout the rev range. As I said earlier it's a completely different bike.

I'll see if they have run in S mode as I reckon the dip in torque at 5000rpm is the softer delivery you get with T mode

As in my earlier posts, I don't think everyone's Caponord will be as bad as mine. It was truly crap! But how will you know if you riding around with 78bhp or 117bhp??

Capo1200
02-13-2014, 07:36 AM
A question. Can the new map be loaded with the ECU off the bike,
ie Remove ECU Post down, remap and return to sender
obviously no tweaking for aftermarket cans or stage two air filter but could be an option for stock setups

I don't know - call them and ask

Capo1200
02-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Not sure why the need to hide identity.
or is that the way forward new thread new identity

I don't plan to tell the insurance company or Aprilia that I now have the bike I paid 12,300 for. So best to use a new ID with no history on the forum. You can never be too careful imho.

Globalone
02-13-2014, 09:38 AM
I don't plan to tell the insurance company or Aprilia that I now have the bike I paid 12,300 for. So best to use a new ID with no history on the forum. You can never be too careful imho.
Fair Point

robertp
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
I wonder if the maps they developed will be made available on the Rexxer site so people who purchase the Rexxer 'User' can upload to the ecu themselves?

idiakez
02-14-2014, 02:10 AM
OMG..this sucks...paying all those money and get a 78bhp bike?! Geee...now i'm worried. But then I'm still running in...

But then again, the only way to know how much bhp my cap had is to go thru dynorun, am i right?

Globalone
02-14-2014, 04:37 AM
I wonder if the maps they developed will be made available on the Rexxer site so people who purchase the Rexxer 'User' can upload to the ecu themselves?

I believe DWR will own the maps as they have developed them, rather than rexxer

nisbeam
02-14-2014, 04:40 AM
I wouldn't worry, I think they are all different. Mine is as rough and I will be getting the re-map done, but it is certainly NOT slow, no way is it 78bhp.. Last summer I had a bid of fun with a Multistrada rider and he couldnt catch up, my bike goes like a rocket. So I suggest just wait & see when it's run in.

robertp
02-14-2014, 04:49 AM
I believe DWR will own the maps as they have developed them, rather than rexxer

Hopefully Rexxer will have something available down the track, I don't think anyone in Australia has the hardware required to develop a map for the Caponord

Capo1200
02-14-2014, 05:37 AM
I wouldn't worry, I think they are all different. Mine is as rough and I will be getting the re-map done, but it is certainly NOT slow, no way is it 78bhp.. Last summer I had a bid of fun with a Multistrada rider and he couldnt catch up, my bike goes like a rocket. So I suggest just wait & see when it's run in.

The $64,000 question is "why are there these difference, when the bikes emerge from a standard production line?"

RSTman
02-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Here is the before and after dyno graph. I've checked that both runs were done in T mode. It's pretty shocking! As standard it was kicking out 78 bhp at the rear wheel, and it felt like it! Where have all those rampant italian horses gone?? The EUSSR opened the stable door and they've bolted!

The remap has rounded them up and their back in the engine where they belong. The computed bhp at the crankshaft was 128bhp - bang on Aprilia's claimed power. Of course this means the torque is up throughout the rev range. As I said earlier it's a completely different bike.

I'll see if they have run in S mode as I reckon the dip in torque at 5000rpm is the softer delivery you get with T mode

As in my earlier posts, I don't think everyone's Caponord will be as bad as mine. It was truly crap! But how will you know if you riding around with 78bhp or 117bhp??

Why don't the Rexxer traces start till 3200RPM? Isn't the 2500 - 3500 rpm band where the lumpy snatching is, (the most important bit)?

beeney
02-16-2014, 01:31 PM
i had my tiger 1050 dynoed which came out at 120 at the rear wheel.my aprilia has similar performance with a slightly higher top speed so i'm confident the aprilia is putting out a lot more than 78hp.mine runs smooth at 30mph,but this is compared to my multistrada 1200 which was like a pogostick at those speeds.however there is very little difference between sport and touring mode on mine,wheras most people seem to feel a noticeable difference.italian character,every bike being different?

KiwiNinja69
02-16-2014, 07:06 PM
78HP at the wheel does sound wrong, unless it was really bad to start with or an issue with the factory ECU. I've seen other dyno's on the net of high 90HP at the wheel. But if the remapping works I'll be really interested to do it once the software is available in Oz.

FORZA
02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
I have the Rexxer equipment, bit far for you though we are in Sydney.

Dave Ward
Moto Italia
Aprilia-Ducati-Moto Guzzi

www.motoitalia.com.au

02 47354003

robertp
02-18-2014, 08:35 PM
I have the Rexxer equipment, bit far for you though we are in Sydney.

Dave Ward
Moto Italia

www.motoitalia.com.au (http://www.motoitalia.com.au)

02 47354003

Dave, are there any maps available for the Caponord through Rexxer? Is it a prolonged process to have a Rexxer map installed or is it a 20 min job of downloading a map from Rexxer and flashing the ECU?

robertp
02-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Looks like Rexxer have maps available now :) http://www.rexxer.eu/e_maps.cfm

KiwiNinja69
02-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Out of interest, would the tuning effect your warranty on the bike and would they be to tell when plugged into diagnostic tools? Also if a software update was done on the bike would it wipe out the tuning done to the ECU?

mason.planft
02-20-2014, 07:29 PM
This was a question I asked too. As to warranty, I guess it depends on how deeply they looked into it, a dead ECU tells no tails! I was chatting to the good folks at the Ducati dealership here in Brisbane, they recommended to inform the mechanic before any routine serving by Aprilia, as they may do a map upgrade. Best case scenario is that your expensive Rexxer map would be over-written and disappear, worse case scenario is a total 'freeze' (that's what they called it) of the ECU.
It's just my opinion, but I reckon mechanics don't ask too many questions when it comes to billing the manufacturer for expensive warranty work. It's also a chance to build good customer relationships.

FORZA
02-20-2014, 07:53 PM
The factory has put out a bulletin regarding 'aftermarket tampering' with RSV4 ECU's so its obviously something they are well aware of.

Dave Ward
Moto Italia

www.motoitalia.com.au

02 47354003

Capo1200
02-21-2014, 01:29 AM
A map upgrade by an Aprilia dealer would over write the Rexxer map.

I read that the RSV4 ECU has a checksum linked to the map, so the diagnostic tool can tell if its been changed. Personally I couldn't careless what Aprilia think! They have a bl88dy nerve flogging me a 12 grand bike with 78bhp, surges like a b*stard and a throttle snatch that is bl**dy dangerous!!! :WTF:

DWR have my original map stored and it can be written back to the ECU in the unlikely (hopefully!) event of a warranty claim.

Capo1200
02-21-2014, 01:36 AM
A mate of mine was wondering if my Capo had been restricted. There was a rumour that Aprilia restrict some models. Now I always thought this was by limiting the revs, but may be it done differently on the Capo.

I did ask the dealer about it being restricted, they said they contacted Aprilia and it wasn't. hah!!!

Also I have ridden 2 other Capo demo bikes and although on the first demo ride from On Yer Bike was relatively sedate, I don't remember it being much quicker than mine (although the surging was much much less). And the demo bike from my local dealer was pretty much the same as mine. The service manager and I rode the two bikes back to back and he didn't come back and say their demo bike was way better - I think even he'd notice and extra 30 bhp - assuming their demonstrator was pushing out 128bhp!

Globalone
02-21-2014, 03:52 AM
I would not get too het up about figures. what you should be able to notice is a 50-60% increase in power, and an increase in economy that comes with it.

I would like to see the results of a couple of other bikes.

Also remember there are other programs in the ECU that control traction and suspension some of which have had an upgrade since new along with the engine map. I would make sure I had the ability to allow the dealer to upgrade then get a copy of my custom map refitted.

ChrisHall
02-21-2014, 05:47 AM
I would not get too het up about figures. what you should be able to notice is a 50-60% increase in power, and an increase in economy that comes with it.

I would like to see the results of a couple of other bikes.

Also remember there are other programs in the ECU that control traction and suspension some of which have had an upgrade since new along with the engine map. I would make sure I had the ability to allow the dealer to upgrade then get a copy of my custom map refitted.

I'd be very interested in any changes to the fuel economy. The OP said that it was running rich from ~4K rpm upwards, so if this has been corrected there should be a noticeable improvement

Capo1200
02-21-2014, 05:53 AM
I'd be very interested in any changes to the fuel economy. The OP said that it was running rich from ~4K rpm upwards, so if this has been corrected there should be a noticeable improvement

Me too! As soon as the weather gets a bit better we'll find out

if everyone else's Capo is fine, then I'll be pleased for them, but p*ssed off I got a Friday afternoon Italian siesta Caponord

KiwiNinja69
03-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Can the person that is getting their bike done with the update in South Australia please PM me.

fredaroony
04-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Anyone else actually get this done and working?

KiwiNinja69
04-26-2014, 01:02 AM
The Australian mapping has gone quiet as the bikes they have tried here both failed. From what I was told, they could either get the high end or the low perfect but not at the same time.

Capo1200
04-26-2014, 01:37 AM
The Australian mapping has gone quiet as the bikes they have tried here both failed. From what I was told, they could either get the high end or the low perfect but not at the same time.

Weird or what!

I'm just waiting on Rexxer to provide information on changing the exhaust valve settings. I'm hoping to alter it so at idle the valve is shut (as per standard), anything over that and it whacks the valve fully open and keeps it open. Or it could just be disabled at fully open as per the RSV4 Race ECU (which use the same stepper motor and valve)

Heyfred
04-26-2014, 02:10 PM
What is base TPS set at?

dadsafrantic
05-03-2014, 04:49 PM
i'm going to try to talk the san francisco aprilia store into being the crash test rexxer site using my bike as the test subject. they sell ktm there as well. the other part is they also own 2 more store that sell both ducati and triumph. maybe some consulting fees for me in the way of shop/dyno time??? you never know.

keithc
05-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Spoke to my local tuning shop yesterday, Dynotech in Bramley nr Basingstoke and I am going get them to put mine on thero dyo after my trip to teh IoM. They will give a power/torque curve and check fueling for 48 inc VAT

Keith C

dadsafrantic
06-14-2014, 11:44 PM
I find most of the mechanics at Aprilia dealerships are as subtle and sensitive as a flying circular saw.

i would like to say that scuderia west in sf ca has been a dream shop for me. awesome people selling parts. mechanics who actually understand the brand. service managers who have years of exp in all types of bike shops. also the place has a new owner (i loved the last one) who sells ducati, triumph, ktm and aprilia in 3 stores. he chatted me up for 30 minutes today about my opinion of the new capo as opposed to seventy eight +k on the old capo. he personally thinks the capo is a better all around than the multi. he thinks the multi has too much unusable power and that is a problem for your novice riders with a pocket full of $$$. he likes the capo for the same reasons we all do. comfort, technology, envy of other riders, etc. sorry to go off the main topic. i usually do.