PDA

View Full Version : battery problem

vladp
02-06-2014, 08:06 PM
I have a strange battery problem. I had a new Shorai battery in my 1200. After a while it started losing charge, so when I start the bike the instrument panel would blink because the battery doesn't generate enough current. After a while the battery just died, wouldnt even turn the crank.

Took the bike to the dealer and the idiot mechanic started blaming the battery. So I bought a new OEM LA one. Two months later it is showing the same problem, i.e. if I leave the bike for a while the panel would blink when starting the bike.

I want to take it to the dealer to look at it but given my history I would rather have some idea what might be causing it otherwise they would again try to weasel out of responsibility.

Anybody had this problem or have some idea what might be causing it?

By the way I took the previous battery to my Shorai dealer to test and he told me that it charges fine but does not hold it.

Thanks.

vladp
02-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Could it be something as simple as a short someplace?

mc18
02-07-2014, 01:02 AM
I had a problem with my KTM, Regulator went bad and would over charge the battery it took 2 shorai battery's and 2 stock battery's before I figured it out. Volts would read ok until the bike warmed up and the volts would slowly climb over charging the battery. it takes a while for the battery to get damaged. Start your bike put a meter on the battery terminals and let it run for a while see if the volts stay constant. My KTM would read 12-13 then climbed to 18 volts after a few minutes.

trainman
02-07-2014, 11:18 AM
I have a strange battery problem. I had a new Shorai battery in my 1200. After a while it started losing charge, so when I start the bike the instrument panel would blink because the battery doesn't generate enough current. After a while the battery just died, wouldnt even turn the crank.

Took the bike to the dealer and the idiot mechanic started blaming the battery. So I bought a new OEM LA one. Two months later it is showing the same problem, i.e. if I leave the bike for a while the panel would blink when starting the bike.

I want to take it to the dealer to look at it but given my history I would rather have some idea what might be causing it otherwise they would again try to weasel out of responsibility.

Anybody had this problem or have some idea what might be causing it?

By the way I took the previous battery to my Shorai dealer to test and he told me that it charges fine but does not hold it.

Thanks.

hi
what do you mean by blink? my speedo display goes out when cranking but always starts, big engine, small batt!!

do you have an alarm?

if you have a meter check DC current in series with batt with bike at rest and key out, should be tiny (mA), if not you have a leakage somewhere, narrow it down by pulling fuses until you hit the guilty circuit

vladp
02-08-2014, 09:30 PM
what do you mean by blink? my speedo display goes out when cranking but always starts, big engine, small batt!!

Definitely not how it should be. I have had bigger bikes than Dorsoduro and never had this problem. Its a sign of battery damage, it does not happen with new batteries.

Reading around this looks like a common problem with large Aprilias. Have to say as time goes by I keep discovering why they are cheaper than Ducatis.

Checked the voltage regulator and it seems fine.

morganoh
02-09-2014, 04:53 AM
is your IU connected directly to the Battery?
or connected to the Ignition?

I believe yours is connect to battery. cos all the Singapore Agent's bike are connected to Battery.
even for when I bought both my Dorsoduro and Caponord.
I have to change the connecton to the ignition.
If IU is connected directly to Battery it will drain the power from the battery fast (even if your bike is not running.)

(IU is Identification Unit in Singapore. its a unit that will deduce money everytime the bike pass though a gantry point)

Try changing the connection to the Ignition.

vladp
02-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks, Morgan. Great tip. IU is definitely connected directly to the battery. I saw the wires when I put the first Shorai in.

trainman
02-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Definitely not how it should be. I have had bigger bikes than Dorsoduro and never had this problem. Its a sign of battery damage, it does not happen with new batteries.

Reading around this looks like a common problem with large Aprilias. Have to say as time goes by I keep discovering why they are cheaper than Ducatis.

Checked the voltage regulator and it seems fine.

you may be right about new battery's but after 2 plus years mine still spins the motor fine, if it slowed down I would be worried, once its run for a minute or so it will re start with no dash dimming at all, I think it just cold oil + big engine and maybe aprilia under speccing the battery to save size and weight.

I have had a number of big twins and lights going dim is nothing new, especially when temp outside is around freezing, I will also change oil more often than aprilia say, this makes a big diff.