PDA

View Full Version : RS 50 D50BO Spains No1 I want reliability!!!

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Hi Forum Newb Here!!
Bought my RS June last year it was immaculate, 2007 bike no running issues...
Got a friend from eastern Europe, i told him what the bike idled at, 1.7-2k rpm and he said this was wrong, it should idle no higher than 1.5...
So thats when with my little knowledge or experience he told me to clean the carb out, (only ever cleaned out a pitbike carb) This is when the problems started, i did that put the carb back together and the bike would not run properly, bogged out.... anyway he came round again to help me sort it out, instead we started stripping the bike, first by trying to take the air box out so we could get a better view of the carb this didnt go well and we began prying the rear frame to we could nudge the air box out , anyway we got tired and bored and got no where so we left it, the next week i took it to a garage (piston broke motorcycles) if your local to Cambridge Never use them!!!! Gave them my bike in bits asked them to put it together sort out the carb set it , and make sure i could ride it problem free. 1 week later went back paid them 170 quid, got on the bike it ran terribly literally got half a mile down the road and the revs where bouncing from high to low- it was unrideable the bike even got stuck at 12k revs and could not control it, anyway went back complained, they fixed the carb well i thought they did but the bike still ran terribly, i think from what i told apriliamandan at the time he reckoned it was running very lean, so me having no money at the time went back to my other friend, get set up the carb it was just about reliable but still not running right e.g had to have choke on all the time, bla bla bla sounded horrible but but i believe this is down to the garage messing it up.. another month went by of unreliable riding and the chain came off when i was a half mile from my house thank god! i called another motorbike garage in Cambridge (Cambridge motorcycles) they fitted new chain and sprockets for me. And have set up the carb and replaced the vacuum fuel tap which apparently was constantly flooding the carb, they then said it still is not running right so they are now setting the carb for me etc... and i am collecting it tomorrow (03/02/14) Anyway the bike SHOULD be running correctly when i collect it tomorrow, anyway to cut a long story short i would like to make the bike generally more reliable , im quite skint at the moment, but so far i have come to the conclusion that for a budget i will 1. buy the sticky parts kit (120) 2.get the doppler crank 3. buy a polini clutch kit. Just wanted to know what you guys think and anything you would change ad if this will actually make it more reliable aswell as getting more speed:D Sorry for the longwinded story btw;) - BennyBRS (also me and my friend reprayed it in matte black and this now needs redoing as explained on my profile) Cheers:))

Zav
02-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi Forum Newb Here!!
Bought my RS June last year it was immaculate, 2007 bike no running issues...
Got a friend from eastern Europe, i told him what the bike idled at, 1.7-2k rpm and he said this was wrong, it should idle no higher than 1.5...
So thats when with my little knowledge or experience he told me to clean the carb out, (only ever cleaned out a pitbike carb) This is when the problems started, i did that put the carb back together and the bike would not run properly, bogged out.... anyway he came round again to help me sort it out, instead we started stripping the bike, first by trying to take the air box out so we could get a better view of the carb this didnt go well and we began prying the rear frame to we could nudge the air box out , anyway we got tired and bored and got no where so we left it, the next week i took it to a garage (piston broke motorcycles) if your local to Cambridge Never use them!!!! Gave them my bike in bits asked them to put it together sort out the carb set it , and make sure i could ride it problem free. 1 week later went back paid them 170 quid, got on the bike it ran terribly literally got half a mile down the road and the revs where bouncing from high to low- it was unrideable the bike even got stuck at 12k revs and could not control it, anyway went back complained, they fixed the carb well i thought they did but the bike still ran terribly, i think from what i told apriliamandan at the time he reckoned it was running very lean, so me having no money at the time went back to my other friend, get set up the carb it was just about reliable but still not running right e.g had to have choke on all the time, bla bla bla sounded horrible but but i believe this is down to the garage messing it up.. another month went by of unreliable riding and the chain came off when i was a half mile from my house thank god! i called another motorbike garage in Cambridge (Cambridge motorcycles) they fitted new chain and sprockets for me. And have set up the carb and replaced the vacuum fuel tap which apparently was constantly flooding the carb, they then said it still is not running right so they are now setting the carb for me etc... and i am collecting it tomorrow (03/02/14) Anyway the bike SHOULD be running correctly when i collect it tomorrow, anyway to cut a long story short i would like to make the bike generally more reliable , im quite skint at the moment, but so far i have come to the conclusion that for a budget i will 1. buy the sticky parts kit (120) 2.get the doppler crank 3. buy a polini clutch kit. Just wanted to know what you guys think and anything you would change ad if this will actually make it more reliable aswell as getting more speed:D Sorry for the longwinded story btw;) - BennyBRS (also me and my friend reprayed it in matte black and this now needs redoing as explained on my profile) Cheers:))

Wnat at to know long story short
don't tune it they get worse more maintainece and from what your said I'm guessing you know f**k all

best way on budget to get a lot more power and speed out of a my06 bike is this

stock engine
21mm (Dan will say no higher than 19 and you will believe him so do that but 21is a lot better and more powerful I used this setup for a year and a half)
arrow exhaust
15/53 sprockets
MVT reeds ( or keep stock and take reed restrictor out)

Las I've said I ran this setup fro year and half did 12k miles in that time the bike would do 72mph everywhere up hill and down and would power wheelie in 1st if you slowed down and revs the shit out of it

or go this way (btw this dan will make dan eat dust trust me)

airsal 70cc m racing (twin ring alloy so you will get more than 9hp like you do with stickyparts kits you will get about 14hp)
doppler endrance drank with full skf bearings
keep stock carb or get 21mm up too you
arrow exhaust
15/53 gearing or if don't mind been slow get 15/49
MVT reeds or take reed restrictor out

this will do 75 to 80 mph and get there quickly and last forever roughly 15k miles plus dan will eat your 2 stroke dust cloud

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Cheers for the reply zav
yeah i dont no alot about strokes as im a newbie lol but yeah fuck all is a little bit of an overstatement;)
i would like the airsal but as i said im skint:(
So you reckon 21mm carb keep the arrow
reeds
crank
would the stickyparts kit be ok with that setup, and i want gearing as high as the engine will pull as i travel on alot of 70mph a roads so would like to be able to do that speed comfortably

cheers:)

apriliamandan
02-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Stickyparts 70cc 7 port kit 120
Stock 17.5mm carburettor, or swap for a 19mm/21mm Dellorto for a stronger powerband, but you'd have to set-up the carburettor, so unless you can do that, i'd keep with the stock carburettor.
Decent underslung exhaust, get rid of thos horrid undertail pipes, all the bends and curves will kill power.
Keep with an airbox, by all means add another inlet.

Set up well, quality oil used, don't see why it shouldn't last 10,000 miles.

Zav
02-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Cheers for the reply zav
yeah i dont no alot about strokes as im a newbie lol but yeah fuck all is a little bit of an overstatement;)
i would like the airsal but as i said im skint:(
So you reckon 21mm carb keep the arrow
reeds
crank
would the stickyparts kit be ok with that setup, and i want gearing as high as the engine will pull as i travel on alot of 70mph a roads so would like to be able to do that speed comfortably

cheers:)

The airsal is actually cheaper ahaaa than the stickyparts

but yeah the stickyparts would be fine but you will get bored I did with that kit in 2 weeks so I went airsal and kept that for 6months then cracked frame

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 01:48 PM
So sell the arrow and buy one like you guys have on the older rs?
mm definetly gonna get a new carb 17.5 is stock right for the my06? not sure 19 or 21 yet
probobly gonna go for the stickyparts as its cheaper for me right now
and new reeds?
will keep the stock crank if i can get away with it:)
ive got a strange feeling its got the airsal 50 kit on there atm its very high revving as ive ridden my friends 09 gpr and the acceration is crap comprared to mine well when it was running lol

Zav
02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Oh and little side note for dan look at his air box it's wank for stock never mind when you tune

look whhere the inlet is and there's no room for a second inlet so it's useless

so my answer for this is a triple layer race tech filter wth extensible tube that goes to where old air box was then you have no problems with water and dirt as it's in same place as the old

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Im not even thinking about air inlet yet, i literally just want it running and not having to wonder if it will die when im 20 miles away:(

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:02 PM
I only posted that so dan can see how crap it is as he's always going on about how good they are and all this crap

and if the top end is airsal it will say in big letters on side airsal

apriliamandan
02-02-2014, 02:10 PM
First modification I would do is fit a performance pipe that is underslung like older models.

Second modification would be either mod you current airbox with another air inlet, or fit a motoforce airbox. Zav, I know the airbox is not as good as the 99-05 models (having done lots of work on these bikes for other people).

After this, I'd fit a Stickyparts 70cc kit.

This is what I would be doing if it were my bike.

Ben, if you have an airsal 50 kit, It will say airsal on the side of the barrel.

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Haven't had the chance to look yet as its still in garage will check tomorrow on the service history it apparently had a top rebuild in 2012 from memory of looking at the cylinder i cant remember it saying anything hmm and also zav where can i get a complete fairing bolt set from searched ebay can only find for the screen, anodised ones preferbly

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Haven't had the chance to look yet as its still in garage will check tomorrow on the service history it apparently had a top rebuild in 2012 from memory of looking at the cylinder i cant remember it saying anything hmm and also zav where can i get a complete fairing bolt set from searched ebay can only find for the screen, anodised ones preferbly

I brought them them from bolt shop came to 3 for all bolts and stoppers

but get a rs125 full bolt set as same bolts it's about 20

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
alright cheers and you know the front bellypan kind of thing(not sure whats its called, the black mud catcher behind the front wheel, will it come for bolts for that aswell?

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah as that's fairing

if you go for dans idea of side sludge the belly pan don't fit anyway

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:26 PM
i want it in there because it stops mud and shit from the road going on the engine, and what side sludge? lol been on this forum for a day and if you too got a problem with each other (which you clearly do) just sort it out either physically or like mature people lol this 'if you do this cause he said it' and other shit is pathetic

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Dan said what I agree is a good idea of a side exit exhaust like he has (increases power) but if this is done the belly pan does not fit

as for fairing wise to stop the engine getting covered in shite fiberglass the bottom whole in raid cover up that stops a lot of shite getting in so you just have the whole for the radiator

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:35 PM
ahhh sweet so can use just normal fibreglass yeah and my engine will always be clean cause i hate it ride it one day in the rain and its filthy again!!might have to stop rain riding!!!
ahh just remembered also , oil wise i had an oil leak from the back the feeder tube got stuck in the rear suspension and i lost all my oil i was about 15 miles away staying at a birds house and she was not happy with all the red stuff on her drivway anyway had a problem was no oil in the bike so went to the petrol station running with no oil and they only sold semi sysnthtic 2 stroke so had to settle with that , went home fixed the tube with arodite and from what i rememebr its still got the semi stuff in there as i didnt use the bike much since , should i drain it and put some good stuff in there? i heard mixing oils makes like a gum form on the rings? cheers

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Yep drain it I blew up a rs using semi synthetic

as for mixing I don't see problem with it I have a purple colour in my bike at moment (I've mixed about 6 different fully systemic oils together in the tank as I couldn't find same oil or kept forgetting

but your engine won't like that as it's alloy but mines cast and crap and I just can't kill it

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:42 PM
ahha is the stickyparts kit alloy or cast?
ok will drain that straight away!

Anyone know or recommend a synthetic oil to stick with for the my 06?

Guessing thats already been asked a 100 times ahah

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:42 PM
And yeah just fibre glass the whole up and it stops most crap getting in it still gets wet but no more dirt I did it on mine it was spotless till my oil pipe came off

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Sweet yeah might do that then, not bothered about resale value might forever keep this bike mmm :/ how much would an rs be worth in 20 years in good order i wonder:cigar:

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Sweet yeah might do that then, not bothered about resale value might forever keep this bike mmm :/ how much would an rs be worth in 20 years in good order i wonder:cigar:

Prob 50 ahaa look at price of the 95 rs50 they sell now in fully working order for 200 ahaa they first cost 4000

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Ok maybe 40 years:) it will be a classic hah, and where there hell can you get a rs for 200 ish i want another one!

Spudgun60
02-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Ye old story. A bike is worth as much as another person will pay for it. However, consider this; I couldn't afford a moped from the 1970's (When I was 16) as people my age (Yes, I'm over 50 so deal with it) are buying them to recapture their youth (or they couldn't have one at the time). So in 20 years time, there will be people who will be looking for an RS50.

The story is the same. Just the generation is different.

Zav
02-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Ok maybe 40 years:) it will be a classic hah, and where there hell can you get a rs for 200 ish i want another one!

Gumtree preloved swapz

i brought 2 aprilias for 200 each one was in both what was my Rx I've not spent a single penny on it and it's now worth 900 :0 and a 2000 plate rs what was a death trap spent 150 and it's now road worthy but I prefer my Rx

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah thanks Spud i agree with you its not just about the raw value of the bike its about the memory's people pull up in their heads from seeing it, as you said people always want to recapture themselves in their 'glory days' i reckon another 5 years the 2 stroke rs first gen will be going for shit loads!

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 02:58 PM
And you got logbooks with these? lol i would like and old and new shape one which is the best old shape 99-05 or pre 99?

Zav
02-02-2014, 03:05 PM
I prefer neither I hate all rs's ahaaa but if I had a choice lid go 95 to 98 as the 99 to 05 is just skinner and tall and ugly ahaa

the he money gathers at moment are the Rx and mx in good nick your looking at 1200 atleast you can buy crap ones for 700

and yep yep full log books the rs had actually had 900 spent on it a month before I brought it (he was a old foum member and a nob head) and the Rx was owned by a chav who wanted to go shagaloof so I dropped him from 500 to 200 and I got a 300 exhaust with it what he had never used and brought 2 months before I brought it I even got it in its box ahaa

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 03:09 PM
lol loving life! if you hate rs why are you on thr fourum:L mm thats cheap fuck well im pretty sure as time goes on the rs will be worth more than the mx and rx as they are common with other manufacturers and are not the best, however the rs has always been the highest rated 50cc geared sports bike, the gpr, tzr will never compare to it however used to have a tzr and it did look beutiful but the crank was gone and so was the top end but only cost me 400 and sold it for 500:D

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 03:11 PM
by other manufactorors i mean cpi sm 50 , wk 50, senda 50, mx, rx, pegasso, the sx 50, the mx and rx are not the best in its class , i would say the senda drd pro as an allrounder

apriliamandan
02-02-2014, 03:18 PM
CPI/WK are good bikes, having 2 of them sitting right by me...

RS's will be the next AR's...have you seen how much the AR's are going for? Infact, just the wheels are hundreds!

Zav
02-02-2014, 03:20 PM
by other manufactorors i mean cpi sm 50 , wk 50, senda 50, mx, rx, pegasso, the sx 50, the mx and rx are not the best in its class , i would say the senda drd pro as an allrounder

Yeah I know it's not the best but it was a example there all increase value what are supermotos

the best 50cc bikes is now the reiju rs3 pro and rieju met pro at 11hp stock factory de resrited and top speed of the rs3 of 75mph that's when stock de restricted there the best by far as the rs has lost its best mess as there started putting shite fairings on them and heavy parts the rs3 is super light and the pro is even lighter

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah im not saying they are bad ive never owned one im just saying the mx and rx wont be worth as much in the near furture like zav reckons as it is not so poplular in its class unlike the rs, they may still appeal to specific target audicences

Zav
02-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Oh yeah im not saying they are bad ive never owned one im just saying the mx and rx wont be worth as much in the near furture like zav reckons as it is not so poplular in its class unlike the rs, they may still appeal to specific target audicences

Aka chavs ahaaa I see more chavs with my Rx and mx's then I see anything true fact specialy the chavs with posh parents

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 03:22 PM
True zav ive heard about the rs3 but the rs has been around for generations alot of people have grown up with them if you think about it the rs3 is worth alot now probobly not in the future, lol weve gone pretty off topic ha

BennyBRS
02-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Aka chavs ahaaa I see more chavs with my Rx and mx's then I see anything true fact specialy the chavs with posh parents
:plus:

Zav
02-02-2014, 03:25 PM
True zav ive heard about the rs3 but the rs has been around for generations alot of people have grown up with them if you think about it the rs3 is worth alot now probobly not in the future, lol weve gone pretty off topic ha

The rs1 is the first and still sells for 2000 now ahaaa

but yeah the rs3 isn't that we'll know but it's the fastest best hand eroding and most powerful as soon as it gets more known it will be loved

and oh we'll I look at it this way if the owner of the thread don't mind it can go off topic but don't tell Patrick this his knickers get Ina. Twist

BennyBRS
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
has anyone else got any tips for more reliability like not having to put the engine at strain for prolonged periods of time so it lasts longer ive spent 800 on this since i bought it and its worse than the time i bought it! also how do i check compression?:)

Zav
02-03-2014, 12:29 PM
With a compression tester in spark plug hole or put them over hole and turn engine over if it forces your thumb of it should e okay to start and run

BennyBRS
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Ahh cheers so thumb over hole, elec starter...?

Zav
02-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Ahh cheers so thumb over hole, elec starter...?

Spin by hand using flywheel

but this is not a proper way to donut this just shows it has enough to start /run doesn't mean it will run tight or start easy tho to do that you need compression tester

BennyBRS
02-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Ah ok cheers:cheers:

Zav
02-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Btw your gearing has to be way off go for 14/53 you will hit 65 to 70mph then and it will still be reliable

BennyBRS
02-03-2014, 03:59 PM
ah okay cheers and what with the 70 kit or how it is atm?

Zav
02-03-2014, 04:55 PM
ah okay cheers and what with the 70 kit or how it is atm?

Bone stcok de restricted is 14/53 with sports pipe ment to go 15/53 and when fully tuned 70 ment to keep 15/53 or go 15/59 then 80cc you go 16/45 the max speed you can ever get out of a rs50 new shape is 95mph without buying custom sprockets and changing get box (yes that is faster than am6 as fastest can get am6 without gearbox change is 80mph (yes with custom sprockets you can hit over 100mph