PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Broken Subframe

stockell_mat
02-01-2014, 06:39 PM
The subframe / saddle support on my dorso 1200 sheared today whilst holding the pillion strap and lowering my bike from a paddock stand. The frame has snapped cleanly in exactly the same place on both sides of the bike just above the lower bolt fixing and below the first weld. It appears to be metal fatigue. This can be best seen on the microfiche for the saddle support and is above where bolt 13 goes and below the horizontal line that then followed by the first of the reinforcing struts.
If anyone knows how I should proceed from here (do I need to inform Aprilia?) I would be grateful.

flightguide
02-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Picture would be great.

keithc
02-02-2014, 05:46 AM
I would defiantly contact Aprilia for lots of reasons. They should replace this under warrantee even if the bike is out of time. Make sure that you let them know that you don’t have any luggage fitted, or any other modifications that they could use as a means of claiming that you modified the bike in a way that caused this major failure. Take particular attention to the rated maximum weight as given in the manual in case they say that the failure is down to overloading (ie don’t thll them that you and your regular pillion weigh over 30 stone each). Also be prepared to report this as a potential manufacturing problem to the DVLA if you don’t get the proper response from Aprilia.

Keith C

stockell_mat
02-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks Keith, excellent advice. Sorry am unable to post pictures as don't know how (computer keeps on saying no). I have sent an email to aprilia uk and will call them on Monday. Further updates to come.

Mr.Dorso
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Picture would be great.
+1 if you can figure out how to upload pics (simple once you work it out) that would be great

stockell_mat
02-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I have spoken to Aprilia uk and they have asked me to take the bike to a dealer for an inspection. Updates to come. As for photos I appear to be a bit of a numpty, and can't for the life of me get them to upload.

Mr.Dorso
02-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Sometimes photo size needs to be smaller, hover over the buttons where you type replies and one says 'insert image', looks like a picture in a frame. Would be good to see pics

Best of luck with everything, hope this isn't a common issue, pls keep us updated!!
:cheers:

stockell_mat
02-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Mr.Dorso
02-05-2014, 06:11 PM
thanks for pics, OUCH not good mate. How many k's has it done?? Hope this gets sorted quick and proper for you

Mr.Dorso
02-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Any updates on this?

stockell_mat
02-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I have contacted Aprilia, who said it needed to go through a dealer. I went on Saturday 8th Feb and they took photos and have approached Aprilia asking to re-open the warranty. Once it has been re-opened they will put through the claim. BTW I have bought a second hand sub frame (as I need the bike running ASAP) and I will fit it on Sunday.

zzjoe
03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow! I'm planning to buy DD1.2, after reading this thread, seem like DD1.2 should not be my option.

Mr.Dorso
03-25-2014, 03:32 PM
There's only the one case of this happening.. stockell-matt did it all get fixed under warranty? and, was it on one wheel a lot..!?

tfunk8360
07-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Mine is broke in the same place, And yesterday the temp got to 112 F. Now the tail light is sagging. I think the stock cans got so hot that it changed the tensile strength and caused fatigue so now I need to fix.

Mr.Dorso
07-03-2014, 06:31 PM
oh man.. aprilia what have you done to us.... :( did the bike start to handle different or did you just see it? hope you still have warranty, even if not they should still fix, and recall would be good

zviadi
07-19-2014, 02:31 AM
Subframe broke twice.
First time last year in the area of ​​attachment of a stoplight. The second time - the day before yesterday, at fixing mufflers.
Both failure associate with ugly quality welds and design subframe. In my view, such a shaky cantilevered construction of the subframe will always break through vibration loads.
Both times I welded it, the dealer did not apply. It makes no sense to change it to a new subframe - it will have exactly the same defects.

Disappointed with the build quality of the Dorsoduro 1200. Possession two seasons she did not get out of the service.
Bought a month ago KTM Super Duke 990. Compared with Dorsoduro 1200 he does not accelerate - very sluggish motorcycle ...
Huh, why he was lauded on the Internet. IMHO - piece of shit. Pump seal water pump struck - antifreeze poured into the oil, now I stand to be repaired.
Will sell both bike and buy one normal bike. While leaning toward new EBR1190SX.

Mr.Dorso
07-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Considered BMW s1000r..?

zviadi
07-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Inline engine do not want - only V-Twins!
Ducati do not want to.

Ayeron
07-21-2014, 07:59 PM
I noticed my seat support sub frame had little hairline fractures when I performed the installation of my tail tidy. The cracks were under the rear fender in areas where welds were.

Mattix415
04-10-2015, 09:06 AM
hey guys, i also noticed the other day that my rear sub frame is also broken :( so i have taken pics and sent everything through to an Aprilia dealer and lets hold thumbs and see if they will swap it out.

The frame is still resting on the ends so i can still ride it but i have to take it easy, i also went to a custom bike builder and he said if they dont swap it out then he will make up an end piece
for it out of aviation grade aluminium and then machine it into the broken frame and he said it will be way stronger than the normal weld.

Will revert back when i hear something... :whiner:

Conorian
04-10-2015, 10:19 AM
streetfighter 1198? :D

poor dorsoduro :(

zviadi
04-10-2015, 12:58 PM
No Ducati, especially this Streetfighter! Their timing belts let them suffocate their designers.
Streetfighter has low located the drain plug. In Russia there have been cases of it breaking when driving irregularities at high speed.
It is better to buy Buell 1125 comprehensive Streetfighter 1098.

Locky
04-11-2015, 07:00 PM
I seem to remember reading about this happening to a DD750 when I first joined this site.