PDA

View Full Version : DD1200 reviews

Locky
01-28-2014, 01:51 PM
I just bought my DD1200 and haven't even rode it yet so I've been looking at other owners bikes for what seems like the best mods and reading/watching reviews about the bike for information.Seems reviews for this bike are really varied making it bloody impossible to sort through.So I figured if I could get what I want to know it would be from you guys who ride and own them.
Is the throttle really as abrupt as some claim and how do you fix it?Is the stock suspension good and have enough adjustment for say adding weight like riding two up?Whats the bike like at speeds high or low could it use a steering damper or no need.What did you have to change on the bike to make it work better for you?Anything you think I should know before I put it on the road.Thanks Locky

Locky
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Wow I'm starting to fell like I asked a catholic school girl what colour her panties are.Interested bystanders but no answer…………………….

flightguide
01-31-2014, 01:06 AM
Dear Locky,
Your questions lead to 10 different answers. For one might be the throttle abrupt for others not. Same with the suspension. For me with 100 kg maybe to soft for others with 70 kg to hard. Since you bought the bike already just wait for the time until you ride it and you will find out your very own way what you want to change. Sure for me personally was the biggest improvement changing from 180 rear tyre to 190/55. But again this is subject to personal preference. Ask for the best tyre and you will get again 10 different answers.
Greetings
Bernd

stockell_mat
01-31-2014, 08:12 AM
Lucky, hi, throttle problems have been solved with the latest map. I had my suspension set up to my weight and find it really handles well now (no more wallowing in corners). Tires -I have gone for a dual compound to help with the wear problems that a powerful v-twin exhibit. Finally the best single mod, IMHO, is a DNA stage 2 air filter. Good luck and safe riding. Mat

Locky
01-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys..I'm aware I'm jumping the the gun Bernd but the throttle being abrupt {in sport setting}was one of the things every review I checked agreed on but with Mats info I'll make sure the
dealer has the latest maps installed.I've owned around 20 bikes but this will be my first fuel injected bike.I've gotten used to doing all my own bike work and the electronics on this BB1200 are a big learning project for me and I can't help felling the more I know before I drive the bike home the less surprises I'll have or at least unpleasant surprises..You didn't say what brand of dual compound tire you are using Mat but I swear by the Bridgestone BT016.I put a set on my street fighter which has been hard on rear tires in the past {might be the way I drive it} and a short while after I got them on i was driving by a fair ground and never noticed that the oil they were spraying to keep dust down had gotten pulled out onto the road by traffic.Next right turn I found myself sliding like I was on ice when the bike got over far enough to the soft side compound the tire hooked up and saved me,but like Bernd wrote you ask about tires you'll get different answers..

flightguide
02-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Dear Lock,
I have the Bridgestone S20 and I'm also very happy with it. A huge difference in terms of handling was switching the rear tyre to 190/55. Feels much more stable in corners. In S Mode the throttle reacts much faster than in T Mode when rolling on but I'm sure u will love it. I still keep the S Mode for my weekend sessions. I also changed the rear sprocket to 42 teeth since I don't mind to cut my topspeed down a bit. I run the bike with a leo exhaust without db killer. I love the sound and it's much safer for me. We have a lot of monkeys here jumping around at the side of the road but with the loud exhaust they stay away. Last but not least is the tidy tail (mine is from evotech) for me a must to show the nice ass from my Diva. Don't worry, the only surprise you will have is how good the bike goes. Is a damn fun machine for going cornering and I saw not only one time my knee drawing friends with their mouth wide open.

trainman
02-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Dear Lock,
I have the Bridgestone S20 and I'm also very happy with it. A huge difference in terms of handling was switching the rear tyre to 190/55. Feels much more stable in corners. In S Mode the throttle reacts much faster than in T Mode when rolling on but I'm sure u will love it. I still keep the S Mode for my weekend sessions. I also changed the rear sprocket to 42 teeth since I don't mind to cut my topspeed down a bit. I run the bike with a leo exhaust without db killer. I love the sound and it's much safer for me. We have a lot of monkeys here jumping around at the side of the road but with the loud exhaust they stay away. Last but not least is the tidy tail (mine is from evotech) for me a must to show the nice ass from my Diva. Don't worry, the only surprise you will have is how good the bike goes. Is a damn fun machine for going cornering and I saw not only one time my knee drawing friends with their mouth wide open.

I have had a lot of big twins but the decel when you shut throttle takes some time to adjust to, you get used t it, check the modes out too, other than that I have a Puig screen and a Tutoro chain oiler, I don't need more power and Maxxis tyres give me good life and decent grip

flightguide
02-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Hi trainman,

I would love to see a picture with the puig. Especially the whole bike from the side. Would be great if you could show some pics. What's your height and does it really work.
Thanks in advance.

trainman
02-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Hi trainman,

I would love to see a picture with the puig. Especially the whole bike from the side. Would be great if you could show some pics. What's your height and does it really work.
Thanks in advance.

Hi

see attached, not very pretty but keeps winter muck and rain off, there were some covers for the bar clamps but don't seem to fit.

I am 6 foot and you do need to duck down at speed as blast doesn't go over helmet, may well remove come summer, when its dry!

there is another version that some say looks more sleek but is same size, so wont improve coverage

I think for 60UKP its ok. Mark.

flightguide
02-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the picture. I saw another puig which looks a bit better. Yours is really big

jasonmachine
02-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Hi Locky. The only disappointment for me is the heavy fuel consumption...although the smile on my face after a ride does suppress the bitterness very quickly. I have a Puig screen too like Trainman, but mine is slimmer, which definitely helps when you ride at speed. The tailtidy is also a must, as the standard kit looks terrible. I also got rid of the standard levers and put on adustable shorty levers...very handy.The throttle response is something you will get to appreciatte, especially when you start feeling comfortable with the accelleration and wheelies.Enjoy your machine!

trainman
02-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the picture. I saw another puig which looks a bit better. Yours is really big

yes, I went for size over beauty, story of my life!!
easy to remove, couple of bolts and leave the clamps on the bars

I had the shorty levers for a while but I felt the clutch was too much effort so went back to standard

and as I mention elsewhere the 2013 update ecu map transforms mpg and smoothness, maybe not an issue on newer bikes?

Locky
02-06-2014, 12:45 PM
That puig looks like it would do the job alright,I have never been a fan of fairings maybe cause I'm older and grew up riding what's now called naked bikes or the bad memories of a fairing on a snowmobile.I hit a fence post buried just under the snow which stopped the ski-doo dead in it's tracks but my face kept going and met the wind screen spent the next 8 weeks with wire holding my teeth in and eating soup.Looking in the mirror and seeing 2 black eyes a broken nose and enough stitches to make you look like Frankenstein can have affects like that.I also never been on a snowmobile since and still sometimes get the urge to kick people in the crotch when I hear "Oh you were lucky"…..Back on track here I have been looking for a shock that could lower the seat height if I need or want one and thought I might pass on some of what I learned..The Hyperpro 750 shock does not fit the 1200 that's from AFI.Race tec wouldn't build one unless they have the bike in their shop.I talked to works and hagon also with no luck.Penske will build you one and have done shocks for the 750 and make the shock so you can lower it and adjust it back to stock height or so you can lower it and raise it.Seems the way to go.

coronaberg
02-06-2014, 08:02 PM
What does race tech need to see on the bike? I live 1 mile away if it's the one in Corona CA let me know.

Locky
02-08-2014, 04:21 AM
On race tech's sight they have a form you can fill out to have custom shocks built so I emailed them and they phoned me back and I asked about having a shock built to lower my seat height the woman on the phone asked me if my bike had twin or mono shocks when I told her mono she said they have to have the bike to built that the forums on their site are for bikes with twin shocks and thats all I got.I never asked about an address after what I was told but thanks for the offer.I'm committed to go with Penske for now but you never know.If you end up going to race tech yourself for any work on you bike it would be interesting to hear about it.