PDA

View Full Version : New owner from Orange

robertp
01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi all, I bit the bullet and purchased an ex company demo in Sydney the week before christmas. I'm coming off a Ninja 1000 and ST1300 but wanted to get back to one bike that hopefully covered both touring and some spirited riding. I loved the Ninja but couldn't do the distance on it and the ST 1300 was just too heavy, but very comfortable touring.

I've done a few thousand Km now and my main issues so far would be the seat, after about 600 km I'm done. I tried an airhawk but at 5'9 the added height takes me to the edge of my reach and fully loaded I'd prefer to have more secure footing, plus I wasn't a fan of the movement in the saddle with an airhawk. Might have to get the seat modified for more comfort and a tad lower.

The screen is a bit small and doesnt offer much in the way of protection. Fitted an NTX screen yesterday but haven't had a chance to ride with it yet and it's raining here now so won't be today.

I've fitted a radiator guard and heated grips, and mounted my Zumo. Overall, loving the bike, its a completely different ride than I'm used too but I can see me having a lot of fun and covering a lot of km on it.

AussieMat
01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
welcome, I am sure you will enjoy it. On the air hawk, I let a bit more air out and the movement was a lot less.

robertp
01-08-2014, 10:35 PM
welcome, I am sure you will enjoy it. On the air hawk, I let a bit more air out and the movement was a lot less.

Thanks Mat, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'll give the airhawk another go with a bit less air but will probably get my seat modified and probably lowered before too long

fredaroony
01-08-2014, 10:47 PM
I just ordered a Givi D610ST screen from Italy this morning. I have an Airhawk too and only used it once. Might just sell it.

robertp
01-08-2014, 11:28 PM
I just ordered a Givi D610ST screen from Italy this morning. I have an Airhawk too and only used it once. Might just sell it.

Yeah, I had to try the airhawk as a quickfix and it does distribute the pressure more evenly, just didn't go much on the movement in the saddle and seat height is an issue...... I'll probably do the same and sell the airhawk.

The D610ST screen looks good, the NTX screen should be a big improvement over stock, I'm looking forward to testing it when the weather dries up a bit.

fredaroony
01-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Is that a Zumo 660 GPS? I wrote this up if you havent seen it already http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?280141-Mounting-a-Garmin-GPS

Capo9
01-08-2014, 11:41 PM

Did you buy through eBay (Italy)? I found one but they don't ship to Oz. I see they are about $150US but shipping is pretty steep.

fredaroony
01-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Did you buy through eBay (Italy)? I found one but they don't ship to Oz. I see they are about $150US but shipping is pretty steep.

No, through a shop and they used paypal. Cost me $208 all up, you dont have to pay VAT either.

http://www.ojmoto.it/givi-d610st-moto-guzzi-stelvio-1200-p-10859.html

robertp
01-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Is that a Zumo 660 GPS? I wrote this up if you havent seen it already http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?280141-Mounting-a-Garmin-GPS

Yes its a Zumo 660. I've been lurking on the forum since I purchased the bike and saw the write up ..... thanks, found it very informative and I used it to wire mine in. For now I've mounted off the bars, seems ok there. I have bluetooth to the helmet so don't need it in full vision all the time. I'll see how it goes and can change it later if need be.

AussieMat
01-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Yes its a Zumo 660. I've been lurking on the forum since I purchased the bike and saw the write up ..... thanks, found it very informative and I used it to wire mine in. For now I've mounted off the bars, seems ok there. I have bluetooth to the helmet so don't need it in full vision all the time. I'll see how it goes and can change it later if need be.

what Bluetooth are using ? I am waiting for the sena 20s to be released.

robertp
01-09-2014, 12:16 AM
what Bluetooth are using ? I am waiting for the sena 20s to be released.

I use the scala rider G9. I've had it for quite a while and it does what I need it to do, GPS, music and hands free calls if someone rings me when I'm riding.

ACTCapo
01-10-2014, 03:09 AM
I get on the bike to get away from the phone...

I use the scala rider G9. I've had it for quite a while and it does what I need it to do, GPS, music and hands free calls if someone rings me when I'm riding.

AussieMat
01-10-2014, 04:09 AM

A bit of music and gps is handy on longer rides/trips, plus communication in a bigger group or with the pillion .

robertp
01-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Me too, but I like to be contactable when I'm away riding ...... and I don't have to answer, depends who's calling :)

Steve-Oh!
02-19-2014, 05:53 AM
Hi Robert . . . Just wondered how your finding the ARROW exhaust. Did it come with the demo?

Is it 'louder', if you've had any chance to compare it?

saintrider1
02-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Nice bike, nice weather, enjoy both.

robertp
02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Hi Robert . . . Just wondered how your finding the ARROW exhaust. Did it come with the demo?

Is it 'louder', if you've had any chance to compare it?

The bike came with the Arrow. I have the stock pipe as well but haven't swapped them out to test .... and haven't seen or heard another cap with the stock pipe to be able to compare, sorry

Nolz
02-19-2014, 11:29 PM
I actually prefer the sound of the stock pipe, it seems to have a deeper, bassier thump. But want the look and weight savings of the ARROW.

Steve-Oh!
02-26-2014, 08:55 PM
I actually prefer the sound of the stock pipe, it seems to have a deeper, bassier thump. But want the look and weight savings of the ARROW.

Hi Nolz . . . I've lost track of some of the threads to know the answer to this question, so . . . . have you had both pipes on your bike? So the ARROW wasn't noticeably better / louder? Do you still have the exhaust valve attached?

Pity we can't wash the standard muffler on the Hot setting on the washing machine, and shrink it just a bit! :WTF:

Nolz
02-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Hey there. The demo bike I rode had an arrow pipe on it and it was something I took notice of as it looked good and I'm a sucker for some good vtwin noise. Except it didn't tickle my fancy as much as I thought it would.

Then I noticed once I took delivery of my bike that it sounded noticeably different for the demo with the stock can. And the stock can was more along the lines of what I want in a twin. Just need it louder :p

Nolz
02-27-2014, 06:22 AM
+1 on washing machine option :)

Capo9
02-27-2014, 07:46 PM
I too had a test ride with Arrow fitted. Have not riden with the standard can, but in some ways I prefered the black on silver look of the standard can over the allow look of the arrow. Sure the carbon cap is cool but not very noticable and I was expecting a Termi exhaust note and did not get it.

At $4k it was an option I easily passed in.

FORZA
02-27-2014, 09:17 PM
$4k, what was that for???

Dave Ward
Moto Italia
Aprilia-Ducati-Moto Guzzi

www.motoitalia.com.au

02 47354003

robertp
02-27-2014, 09:23 PM
I think the Arrow slip-on retails for about $2k. It was on the bike when I got it

dastrix
02-27-2014, 09:33 PM
I lived in Orange for many many years of my life. Welcome!

Capo9
02-28-2014, 05:45 AM
$4k, what was that for???

Dave Ward

Correct Dave, it is listed as $2400. My mistake, I was still thinking Termi pricing.

Sorry about that guys - but still hard to see the value IMO.