PDA

View Full Version : Map 2, So Cal

KOCONUT
01-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Hey everyone, I just put some new delkevic pipes on my 2007 Tuono and took it to the dealer near me in Newport Beach to get the Map 2 switch. They are a relatively new dealership and did not have the map upload tools for the rotax engined bikes. So I let them keep it for about a week so they could get take the bike to the corporate Piaggio/Aprilia facility around here and they emailed me with this, "Vehicle 07 Tuono in the state of California. The MAP cannot be used as it is not compliant for street use. With that said, MAP 2 (engine variant 2) is not available." :spankie: So, anyone know where I can go from here? As far as I know, all that is needed is an Axone tool or something? I have heard of a mechanic in the area named Amauri who many Aprilia enthusiasts go to for repairs and upgrades. If anyone knows his contact info or anyone else in the area who can get the map switch on my Tuono I'd be super grateful. Thanks for reading.

jhirsch
01-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Take out the ECU and mail it in to AF1. Look it up on their website for map 2 remapping or something of the sort. It's $35.

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-07-2014, 04:40 PM
mail it in to us or go see Amauri Nunes

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
Call Amauri at 714 892-4056 for appointment

its your commie state laws that are causing this mess. Akra nor aprilia will even ship exhausts to dealers in California right now.

KOCONUT
01-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the contact info on amauri. He said this god forsaken state is really starting to come down on dealers who are modifying any of the stock smog equipment in on motorcycles. Finally, California is tackling the real serious issues that we have to deal with. I don't want to get him in trouble in any way so I will be sending in my ecu. Thanks again for the info.

mhr650
01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
While you are being a rebel look into removing the evaporative canister under the rear seat if it hasn’t already been taken out. It wont really change anything in the way the bike runs but it will free up quite a bit of very valuable storage space under the passenger seat.

KOCONUT
01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
While you are being a rebel look into removing the evaporative canister under the rear seat if it hasn’t already been taken out. It wont really change anything in the way the bike runs but it will free up quite a bit of very valuable storage space under the passenger seat.

PO already took care of that for me. :peace:

KOCONUT
01-09-2014, 02:31 PM
so, I'm sure its been covered here and its got to be pretty easy to do. How do I pull the ecu out?

tutto gasse
01-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Just go to Amauri he right by you. He did mine while I waited. He's the Aprilia Guru

JSV4
01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
If you do go to Amauri,( and you should) have him look at the hoses from the canister. You may have a vacuum leak, if it was just unhooked & removed you DO have a vacuum leak. There is a one way valve from the tank that needs re routed, he fixed mine & installed map 2, to go with my pipes & air box mod. It runs SO much better.

Aprilia_Crazy
01-16-2014, 01:47 AM
its your commie state laws that are causing this mess. Akra nor aprilia will even ship exhausts to dealers in California right now.

Tell me about it...commies for sure ...it was a real bitch getting Akra's for my Tuono here in California....among many others.

We have a government organization called CARB- That stands for California Air Resources Board. They go around and fine companies like Dynojet, Akrapovic, Leo Vince and many others and actually get Millions of dollars. Somehow our leaders have let this shit happen....even though the companies manufacturer RACE stuff for closed course only ( where it is 100% legal in Ca ) and are not the ones installing it for street. It's really appauling and those bastards should be thrown in jail for extortion.

amauri
01-16-2014, 11:22 AM
I guess it depends on how we look at it.

For many years we've been able to buy parts meant for Off Highway Only use, without having to prove that we are not breaking the law by using them on street registered vehicles.

Some may think that our state is screwing us over by allowing us buy those parts and then finning the shops who install those race parts on street registered vehicles.
I'm sure much of that has to do with the tax dollars those parts and services generate.

Sport motorcycles pollute far more per passenger per mile than a late model automobile.
Just sniff the tail pipe on a typical sport bike with altered fuel mapping (PC3, Bazzaz, race ECU, etc) and it is easy to believe that they pollute 5 - 10 times more than late model emission compliant cars on our driveways.

Even worse is that sport bikes emit all that pollution while carrying only one person. Cars pollute far less while carrying many more people inside.

I'm happy that CARB is finally enforcing laws that have been in the books for many years. I bet that soon they will require bi-annual smog inspections on motorcycles too.

If the state had not started mandatory emissions controls on all motor vehicles way back in the 60s and 70s, we would all have to wear oxygen masks here in the Los Angeles basin by now.

Because of emissions controls, the air quality here is now better than it was 10 years ago.