PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy or want to buy a Caponord 1200?

Flienlow
01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Simply put, Why did you buy or want to buy a Caponord 1200?

keithc
01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Saw one, wanted one, rode one had to buy one.

Simple really (well apart from eh bit where I had to convince the wife I needed one anyway)

Keith C

foot_loose
01-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Bored with previous bike (CB1000r). Fancied a v twin (nearly all my previous bikes have been 4 cyclinders (though one was a v4) and wanted something reasonably practical too.

Flienlow
01-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Is this an entertaining bike to ride? ( I am coming off a Tuono V4R)

keithc
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I have ridden a Tuono V4R and its a completely different bike to ride. V4 is a lot more powerful and no where near as comfortable. The Caponord is a lot more capable for longer distance work and has more than adequate power for me. Also its not to comfortable for a pillion either. I would not like to ride the V4 for much more than 30 or so miles without a break as the riding position is cramped and places to much weight on the arms.
You can see form the above I wasn't to impressed with the V4 really.

Keith C

Nolz
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
In amongst a bunch of IL4 sports bikes I had a naked SV650. The time I had with that bike stood out as being practical and fun which spawned my love for Vtwins (didn't know it at the time). After a long hiatus I bought an 08 FZ1s and it reaffirmed my desire to own a sporty yet comfortable/practical bike...my time with sport bikes had expired.
From there I thought that perhaps a GS or a Multistrada would be my 'dream bike', then enter the Caponord. Drooled over images of it on the net for a few months then when it finally landed I took one for a test ride and was sold. I also wanted to do a bit of touring so the Caponord, panniers and all seemed the perfect fit

didn't pull the trigger initially as I was trying to be a responsible new parent, but knew it was an attainable goal. SWMBO said go back and buy it. Me, not wanting any trouble.....agreed. And here we are :)

dsgfh
01-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Pretty simple for me. I was coming off an '05 RSVR, but I've got lower back & knee problems that meant I wanted something more upright. Couple that with a missus who likes to spend time with me on weekends, but couldn't sit on the RSVR for more than half an hour without being in pain & it was time to change bikes. I briefly looked at the sports tourers, but they all felt quite bulky for a daily commute, so I turned my attention to the tiger explorer, gs, multistrada & the caponord. Not small bikes, but the steering head angle makes them quite maneuverable. I rode the GS & the Caponord, ruled out the multi on price & the triumph on comfort. Dealer wouldn't give me a demo KTM, so I ruled them out instantly.
GS was great, but the engine boring. If I was doing any off-road this is the bike I would have taken. On road though, the Caponord felt better, great personality to the engine & was several grand cheaper for equivalent specs. No contest.

A mate of mine bought a gs & loves it. I've ridden the two bikes back to back since in the hills & the telelever front end is brilliant in the twisties, but I just find the Caponord more engaging and more comfortable as a ride. You do have to be smoother to get the most out of the front end though. The GS is more forgiving in that regard. Of course, he was looking for slightly different things & didn't see why I loved the Caponord so much. He prefers the cold German efficiency of the GS. Me, I have a thing for twins... Bikes with a soul.

mason.planft
01-03-2014, 01:32 AM
My choice of bikes is fairly limited, I'm 205cm and am pretty cramped on most bikes. I wanted another Adventure bike (although you'd call the Caponord a soft adventure), for the ergonomic factor, also to preserve my license. I've had big-bore sports tourers, but found them boring unless you're doing illegal things on them. I also wanted Dynamic suspension, so that narrowed the list to the GS, the KTM Adventure, or the Caponord. KTM had too much power, I wouldn't be able to resist using it, the GS was ruled out after two bad experiences with unreliable BMWs. I'd always wanted an Italian V-twin, but never imagined that I'd fit on any of them.
Still though, nothing stacks up to my previous 2010 GS Adventure ergonomically, it was a hoot in the twisties and had real off-road credentials too. Just a shame they're so expensive and in my experience, so unreliable. I wont ever own another one.
The Aprilia has great character and soul. The Italians know how to build a bike with flair. I've even grown to love the way it develops torque, it makes a dramatic entrance at around 4000rpm that never fails to make me smile.
Perhaps my next bike might be a Guzzi Stelvio. If they could just graft the electronic wizardry onto it and perhaps shove a re-tuned 1400 California donk into it too...

fredaroony
01-03-2014, 05:31 AM
Two reasons, I got married and just gone done watching the Long Around and Long Way down series :) I've always had sportsbikes and done lots of track days so this bike was a big difference for me but wanted something I could travel on with my wife.

The choice was between the R1200GS or the Caponord and the value of the Caponord was so much better plus I got a pretty good deal on it. I also liked that it was more sports oriented but in the end I never even rode the GS as I liked the Caponord so much.

Being a gadget freak I also liked the modes etc that came standard.

I'd like like to have a sportbike in the garage too though :)

Flienlow
01-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Seems like the Caponord was price point purchase for a few of you? I wonder how the power compares to a KTM 990 adv. I bet it would be similar. I can't wait to sit on one!

sanausbe
01-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Because it is really a kind of sportbike on which you can sit very comfortably...

I saw 249km/h speed on the speedometer. Very comfortable on everykind of asphalt roads. The standart wheels are road tyres, so, not very good on enduro roads (like Duc Multistrada). I give my broken Tuono(the engine was dead), and bought this, very happy with the bike.

I can go also to the track days:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/sancopanco/caponord/capotr1_zpsd75e609b.jpg

When I compare with Tuono V4R:

-Absolutely comfortable in all ways, longer suspensions, more torque on 2-3-4 (or the torquey feel is better, I don't know)

-You can miss the quickshifter, Capo has longer shift ways.

-You can put a topcase to the capo.

-Not capable as Tuono on the track, again due its longer suspensions. But it is ok.

-I think more comfortable and faster then KTM 990.

-Cheapest between the others. But the quality is good, sometimes better then most of the "others".

S.

Flienlow
01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Because it is really a kind of sportbike on which you can sit very comfortably...

I saw 249km/h speed on the speedometer. Very comfortable on everykind of asphalt roads. The standart wheels are road tyres, so, not very good on enduro roads (like Duc Multistrada). I give my broken Tuono(the engine was dead), and bought this, very happy with the bike.

I can go also to the track days:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/sancopanco/caponord/capotr1_zpsd75e609b.jpg

When I compare with Tuono V4R:

-Absolutely comfortable in all ways, longer suspensions, more torque on 2-3-4 (or the torquey feel is better, I don't know)

-You can miss the quickshifter, Capo has longer shift ways.

-You can put a topcase to the capo.

-Not capable as Tuono on the track, again due its longer suspensions. But it is ok.

-I think more comfortable and faster then KTM 990.

-Cheapest between the others. But the quality is good, sometimes better then most of the "others".

S.

Great information, thanks! I am thinking that I would like to pare down to one do-all bike. I love Cruise Control so this, the Triumph Explorer(which I hate) and the GS all seem to be in the running.

What kind of fuel ecomony are you seeing, and sorry, but what size is the gas tank?

Thanks,
PS. It has been forever since I have been to Istanbul. Cool City!

sanausbe
01-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Great information, thanks! I am thinking that I would like to pare down to one do-all bike. I love Cruise Control so this, the Triumph Explorer(which I hate) and the GS all seem to be in the running.

GS could be better, in the meaning the road comfort, due it's telelever. We have tried as friends all the new bikes; Capo, 1190, GS, Multi Pikespeak. All my friends says Capo should be the winner, because it's roar (sound and performance) is the "cheapest" when you compare with others.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/sancopanco/caponord/capo9_zps516b247e.jpg

What kind of fuel ecomony are you seeing, and sorry, but what size is the gas tank?

Gas tank takes 24 liters. 4 litres reserv, so, normally it takes around 19-20 liters if you make it full after the light came. The range on my bike is changing around 250-300 kilometers; it means 6,6liters to 8 liters/100km. But I should say I'm going very fast and trying the maximum speed, also around 200-230km/s on the track.

PS. It has been forever since I have been to Istanbul. Cool City!

So, one picture from Bosphorous.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/sancopanco/caponord/capo8a_zps4b6f0699.jpg

RSTman
01-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I knew it had to be a V twin, a comfortable road bike, with proper road wheels and tyres (I'm not interested in off road) and have reasonable two up ability with luggage. Having owned loads of trad ST bikes including an Aprilia RST Futura I knew my body now needed the more upright comfort of an adventure style bike. That gives a choice of about four; Base model Guzzi Stelvio, KTM SMT990, Ducati Multistrada, Aprilia Caponord.
I really wanted the Guzzi, that motor looks and sounds great, shaft drive, huge fuel range, comfortable seat. On the road though the bike is just not refined or fast enough for me, I wanted to love it but it just wasn't happening.
The KTM SMT is stunningly good, the motor is perfect, along wth the handling and brakes. I couldn't stop grinning till I got off it. Only the poor fuel range and marginal pillion comfort ruled it out for me, but as a solo machine it has to be a winner. Good value too.
I owned a Multistrada 1200 for a while. This bike is the fastest thing I have ever ridden and that includes a Blackbird, Aprilia RSV and a Kawa 1400GTR. The performance in sport mode is just staggering (forget the other modes the fuelling crap). Pillion comfort is good, luggage OK, fuel range marginal. In the end though the performace is counter productive. It demands so much concentration to ride smoothly in traffic that long trips get very tiring. Pretty vibey too. Maintenance is not easy and also expensive. Still an amazing bike but not quite the allrounder Ducati would have you believe.
So that leaves the Caponord then. Having owned and loved two Aprilias in the past I was confident the Capo would deliver for me. So far I am well pleased. The ADD suspension is simply amazing. You won't believe how easy this bike is to ride quickly on all sorts of roads in superb comfort. The brakes are great, the fuel range is good and the engine is nice and smooth and plenty powerful enough in any situation on the road. If you want a fast, easy handling, long distance, comfortable road bike for one or two the Capo is hard to beat.
If you are a speed freak then the Multistrada is the one, or indeed the KTM for solo use. But for all round ability and value it has to be the Capo.

mason.planft
01-03-2014, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=Flienlow;3538981]Great information, thanks! I am thinking that I would like to pare down to one do-all bike. I love Cruise Control so this, the Triumph Explorer(which I hate) and the GS all seem to be in the running.

I've seen 5.3lt/100km running on 98RON on the highway, cruise control set at 107kmh.

Markprend
01-06-2014, 07:21 PM
I had a Speed triple which was a super bike. I then decided to travel this vast land around Australia and needed a big tourer as my partner was on the back and I needed the room to carry tents, bags etc. I went for a BMW r1200rt. After 25000kms and arriving back home the plan was to sell the Beema and go back to the triple. You do get spoilt on the Beema when you compare it to the triple, so the plan changed.

I looked at the GS, Ktm and eventually I rode the Capo and was immediately sold, apart from the screen. I remember saying that it is the easiest bike I had ever ridden and comfort levels were much the same as the Beema.
So I traded the triple for the Capo and I still have the Beema, although it is up for sale. I have riden the Capo on extended trips of around 600kms a day and I still love it.
I have since added an Ntx - Calsci screen and it is just a good as the Beema, had a few little things fall off, and the dreaded oil fix and am still waiting on panniers under warranty, but love the bike.

Flienlow
01-06-2014, 07:40 PM
I had a Speed triple which was a super bike. I then decided to travel this vast land around Australia and needed a big tourer as my partner was on the back and I needed the room to carry tents, bags etc. I went for a BMW r1200rt. After 25000kms and arriving back home the plan was to sell the Beema and go back to the triple. You do get spoilt on the Beema when you compare it to the triple, so the plan changed.

I looked at the GS, Ktm and eventually I rode the Capo and was immediately sold, apart from the screen. I remember saying that it is the easiest bike I had ever ridden and comfort levels were much the same as the Beema.
So I traded the triple for the Capo and I still have the Beema, although it is up for sale. I have riden the Capo on extended trips of around 600kms a day and I still love it.
I have since added an Ntx - Calsci screen and it is just a good as the Beema, had a few little things fall off, and the dreaded oil fix and am still waiting on panniers under warranty, but love the bike.

I am assuming both the GS and KTM were the new Model? Did you not try them before bought the Capo?

I would really like the 1 bike to do it all if Possible. I cant tell if the Capo is the ugliest bike or not, one moment I look at it and think its Hideous, the other I think its cool. I am also a bit concerned by a few things:
1. Its Italian
2. Aprilia customer is non existent in the US
3. Coming off my Stolen V4R it might not be exciting enough.
4. How it will perform in Long touring trips.

As I stated before, I can't wait to see it in person!

DaveNZ
01-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Flienlow i traded my v4 on a multistrada, and for a few weeks you really miss the v4s sheer power and agility, but after doing some long rides, some gravel back roads, and touring , adjusting your riding style to suit these multi tasking bikes, you really dont miss it, i have no trouble doing a 700 plus K ride now, and dont have to plan my trips around gas stations. it hurt for the first 2 or 4 weeks but now im convinced i made a great motorcycling decision. Im having a ball on my multi, and it really does hall arse. (comfortably)

Flienlow
01-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Flienlow i traded my v4 on a multistrada, and for a few weeks you really miss the v4s sheer power and agility, but after doing some long rides, some gravel back roads, and touring , adjusting your riding style to suit these multi tasking bikes, you really dont miss it, i have no trouble doing a 700 plus K ride now, and dont have to plan my trips around gas stations. it hurt for the first 2 or 4 weeks but now im convinced i made a great motorcycling decision. Im having a ball on my multi, and it really does hall arse. (comfortably)

I wish that bike had cruise control. It would be a strong contender for me.

fredaroony
01-07-2014, 02:34 AM

Which size did you get? The Stelvio screen is already quite a bit taller than the Caponord's so I was thinking the shorty version would be the best.

keithc
01-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I wish that bike had cruise control. It would be a strong contender for me.
The travel pack version of the 1200 caponord comes with cruise control as standard :)

Keithc

Markprend
01-07-2014, 10:03 PM
I got the medium.

fredaroony
01-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I got the medium.

Would you mind posting a couple pictures of it?

Mr Pope
01-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Having had a KTM 950SM for 7 years it was time for a change (plus just sold a house & had money burning a hole in my pocket)

Looked initially at the Duc Multi GT but, having asked SWMBO about my price limit, 17.5k was baulked at so went for the Capo

Lots of research done, sat on one after ordering and was smitten

Saxon
04-14-2014, 06:25 AM
In Canadian dollars, the Capo is $16,000. The Multistrada Touring (with less equipment than the Capo) is $22,000, and if you add the panniers and similar options to the BMW R1200GS, it's $26,000.

Is is the Capo every bit as good as those 2 competitors? Probably not. But at $6,000 less than the Duc and $10,000 less than the GS, it could be virtually crap and still be the better value. Of course, it's not virtually crap. While I'm still waiting for delivery of mine, and have never even seen one as they haven't arrived in Canada yet, the countless professional and owner reviews indicate that it's comparable (and in some opinions better) to those 2 big guys.

Why buy the Capo? In my case it's a no-brainer! Great value for the money!

ChrisHall
04-14-2014, 06:45 AM
Buy Ducati for the badge

Buy BMW GS because you want to look like Ewan McGregor in the "Long Way Round"

flying_hun
04-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Seems like the Caponord was price point purchase for a few of you? I wonder how the power compares to a KTM 990 adv. I bet it would be similar. I can't wait to sit on one!

I'm thinking the Capo has more than the 990 and less than the 1190.

hectorkvs
04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
KTM 990 adv 110hp,Caponord 1200 125hp,KTM 1190 adv 150hp...but horse power is not an issue here...comfort,great design,sport soul,V2 & the most important thing,price and u got win win situation...simple as that...:-)

idiakez
04-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Yupe true...the price of the capo won my heart over the KTM adv1190...

Nolz
04-22-2014, 06:30 AM
As for touring comfort, I put on 769km The other day. I was one of a group of 6 which ranged from a Harley Vrod (Yes they haul arse when piloted properly) to a hayabusa, and a couple of naked triples and a sports bike. By the day's end I was the only one that was neither cold, cramped up or in pain.

With the right screen on your body is very well protected, the hand gaurds help to keep your paws functional, and with the optional heated grips all is cosy on top of the Capo. The ergonomics are near perfect for me. I've added an airhawk seat cushion and that just guaranteed that I stayed pampered and comfy. I used to get a sore mid back but it would appear that my muscles have become accustom to the new seating position.

Without a passenger and on open country roads I have a range of 400+km. I love it more with each ride.

ACTCapo
04-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Comfort, style, standard features, plus it's NOT a Ducati.

keithc
04-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Comfort, style, standard features, plus it's NOT a Ducati.

Obvoiusly a man of good taste :)

Keith C

dadsafrantic
04-22-2014, 07:54 PM
I have ridden a Tuono V4R and its a completely different bike to ride. V4 is a lot more powerful and no where near as comfortable. The Caponord is a lot more capable for longer distance work and has more than adequate power for me. Also its not to comfortable for a pillion either. I would not like to ride the V4 for much more than 30 or so miles without a break as the riding position is cramped and places to much weight on the arms.
You can see form the above I wasn't to impressed with the V4 really.

Keith C

not that i own one but in the sf bay area the tuono is a brilliant filter bike. i did a test ride in friday afternoon commute mayhem.

dadsafrantic
04-22-2014, 08:00 PM
i pick mine up this Saturday. red. the last one in sf.