PDA

View Full Version : Removing wheels - anything special I have to do?

ACTCapo
12-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Need to drop the wheels out to swap tyres over with my track bike. Is there anything special I need to do in terms or the ABS sensors etc? Will just use centre stand and axle stands under front forks.

Don't want to stuff anything up...

Globalone
12-22-2013, 07:25 PM
No standard nut off spindle out keep an eye on the spacers

beeney
12-23-2013, 09:42 AM
pain finish is soft and easily marked,so wrap cloth or whatever around the calipers.the rear wheel takes some manouvering to get it out,but i didn't have to remove anything other than the spindle

nisbeam
12-23-2013, 11:23 AM
If you put the real wheel spindle back in the other way around, I.e. with the nut on the other side, it makes chain adjustment easier.

ChrisHall
12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I found I needed to remove the hugger/chain guard to get the rear wheel out.

I made up a small wooden platform at just the right height to remove/refit the wheel with the bike on the centre stand. Saves trying to hold the wheel in position with one hand, line everything up and push the spindle through.

An observation: the wheel nut is very thin, the flats on the nut are narrow, so getting a good purchase is hard - if it slips, it will round off the nut as sure as Tony Blair's a war criminal.

ACTCapo
12-24-2013, 02:57 AM
thanks all. I spent good money on some good sockets or the axle nuts, so should be ok there.

do I nip up front pinch bolts first to stop axle turning while tightening front axle nut?