PDA

View Full Version : Ride it Sumo style?

auditude
12-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Hey all

After a rather slippery ride around one of my favorite back roads, I was prompted to ask myself if I'm doing it all wrong.

I came across black ice, damp spots and slick patches and came home thinking maybe I should've been "backing it in" and throwin my inside leg out "sumo" style.

Just coming from a Falco R, I found myself tucked and propped fwd even in the twisties but the upright bars and ergos of the T almost beg a supermotard style of riding. While there's plenty of footage of the T on a track, is there anyone out there throwing her around like a sumo?

If so, post up, with pics or vid if possible, as I'm inclined to try and back her in with a leg out when navigating through the twisties when it's slick out!

Rubberside down, brethren!

Tifa
12-15-2013, 03:28 PM
whatever it takes to keep out of the ditch.

meanstrk
12-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Ever since my total knee dislocation resulting in ACL and PCL replacement that was caused by having a foot out when the bike went down, I keep my feets on the pegs...

kzmille
12-15-2013, 07:37 PM
...I came across black ice, damp spots and slick patches and came home thinking maybe I should've been "backing it in" and throwin my inside leg out "sumo" style…

Yeah, that's just the way to ride on ice.

ohiomike
12-17-2013, 09:25 AM
I think the biggest mistake I see when people are cornering is how much foot they have over the peg I remember doing it once and making contact with the ground in "Gravity cavity" and thought damm that would hurt if it pulled my foot down under the bike mid corner.

Zephyr
12-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Yeah, that's just the way to ride on ice.

Not sure Audi actually knows what "black ice" is.

auditude
12-26-2013, 01:17 PM

I'm quite "familiar" with black ice. IDK what a statement like yours is intended to illustrate; however, through several decades of traveling to the sierras, mountain passes and cross country trips, I recently encountered "black ice" on one of my favorite twisty routes on my new-to-me Tuono. I also saw frozen puddles and pools off to the side of the main road that particular morning IN addition to black ice patches on main road.

At any rate, I was asking if anyone on the forum rides their T "sumo" style not start a poll on whether or not I am familiar with black ice...:peace:

kzmille
12-26-2013, 11:08 PM
I think you must be the only sumo rider here.

auditude
12-27-2013, 10:43 AM
I think you must be the only sumo rider here.
I doubt it. First, because I'm not experienced enough with super motard riding to execute this style without significant risk to moto or rider and, second, because I know there are a number of "dirt" riders on this forum.

My guess is that most own a more sumo suited moto like a dorso, drz, ktm or the likes versus slinging their tuonos around like a motard.

I'd love to see someone on a tuono ride motard style though.

I've scoured the interwebs for examples but came up empty handed.

g00gl3it
12-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Might be because it's dangerous. It's one thing to do it on a 250lb bike that's easily correctable. A 450+lb bike is not so forgiving, if you're going down, you're going down - no sense putting yourself under the bike for the pure enjoyment of it.

Pieman_tm
12-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Is that Valentino Auditude? If not, maybe give The Doctor himself a call, but he rarely goes "Sumo" in icy conditions.

auditude
12-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Might be because it's dangerous. It's one thing to do it on a 250lb bike that's easily correctable. A 450+lb bike is not so forgiving, if you're going down, you're going down - no sense putting yourself under the bike for the pure enjoyment of it.

No truer words have ever been said...I don't know ANYONE who enjoys having an "off".

Is that Valentino Auditude? If not, maybe give The Doctor himself a call, but he rarely goes "Sumo" in icy conditions.

In those conditions it's more than likely I'd have to call my personal physician.

Again, brethren, I'm simply wondering if anyone "sumos" their T. I'm sure, somewhere in the crazy world of motorcycling, there's been some galoot that's backed this bike in to turns.

If not, oh well; but the dorso 1200 and duc hypermotard aren't too far off in weight and ergos and find the rear ends coming round quite frequently at the rider's whim.

Isn't the tuono somewhere in between a motard and a sport bike???

Just sayin'

Anyhoo, safe travels and hoppy hoolidays

kzmille
12-28-2013, 03:09 PM
What are you talking about? What is sumo riding? Have a video?

Pieman_tm
12-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Most bullshitters usually do it to your face in bar after a few pints and can't back down when confronted. You're saying that when the roads are icy you got home safely but wondered if you should've been throwing a leg out and chucking the back out? i've never heard so much horse shit in my life. Sorry mate.. Either this is some sort of candid camera/you've been frames kinda thread or you've had a stroke and just talking crap.
Grow up and come back with a realistic question or statement.

Zephyr
12-28-2013, 11:05 PM

I'm quite "familiar" with black ice. IDK what a statement like yours is intended to illustrate; however, through several decades of traveling to the sierras, mountain passes and cross country trips, I recently encountered "black ice" on one of my favorite twisty routes on my new-to-me Tuono. I also saw frozen puddles and pools off to the side of the main road that particular morning IN addition to black ice patches on main road.

At any rate, I was asking if anyone on the forum rides their T "sumo" style not start a poll on whether or not I am familiar with black ice...:peace:

I wasn't intending to illustrate anything, but what we in New England call black ice is a very specific occurrence, it's when you have very high humidity -- i.e. fog -- in above-freezing temps that quickly sink to below-freezing temps, and the fog congeals on the road in an invisible layer of ice that, depending on the smoothness of the road surface, will give you absolutely zero grip. You don't even want to be driving a car over that, let alone "backing in" a motorcycle.

auditude
12-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Most bullshitters usually do it to your face in bar after a few pints and can't back down when confronted. You're saying that when the roads are icy you got home safely but wondered if you should've been throwing a leg out and chucking the back out? i've never heard so much horse shit in my life. Sorry mate.. Either this is some sort of candid camera/you've been frames kinda thread or you've had a stroke and just talking crap.
Grow up and come back with a realistic question or statement.

You're missing my point and quite horribly at that. My question was to those on this forum that ride their tuono a certain "style" ala super motard. It was the condition of the road which prompted my question and the ergonomics of the tuono which are akin to dirt bike and supermoto. Are you really saying I can't ask if anyone rides their tuono in this way? That makes no sense.

I wasn't intending to illustrate anything, but what we in New England call black ice is a very specific occurrence, it's when you have very high humidity -- i.e. fog -- in above-freezing temps that quickly sink to below-freezing temps, and the fog congeals on the road in an invisible layer of ice that, depending on the smoothness of the road surface, will give you absolutely zero grip. You don't even want to be driving a car over that, let alone "backing in" a motorcycle.

This is precisely what I was describing, zephyr. On redwood rd in castro valley, it meanders through the mountains and is covered by redwood trees dropping the temps well below the surrounding city limits resulting in the frozen and icy patches.

The morning temperatures outside of the area were easily low 40's but since the sun never cast upon many of the sections shaded by trees the ground temps and shade were upper 20's to lower 30's. Bad recipe for any vehicle especially of the two wheeled variety.

I actually DIDN'T want to be there once I saw how bad the conditions were. Total pucker factor on several levels. Fortunately, it's a relatively short jaunt averaging 10 miles in length from starting to alternate routes which can take you down out of the twisties.

I'm rather clueless; however, when posing such a simple question to the forum about riding styles on a bike designed with wide supercross bars and an upright riding position.

I am a bullshitter by most standards but, I assure you, was not bullshitting when asking this question.

So, biting my tongue, guess I'll refrain from asking such a straight-forward question about whether or not anyone rides their TUONO like a supermotard.

Sounds like folks got lumps of coal in their stockings this year...feel sorry for you but please don't piss in my Cheerios. It's the interwebs, and a public forum; I'm thinking my question [about a particular riding style] was permitted and even valid. If not, mods please lock thread. In fact, just lock it because I don't see an answer to my question anywhere on the horizon...

Thanks

The Commissar
12-29-2013, 02:02 AM
I'll answer your question like an adult.

The geometry and handling characteristics don't translate to supermoto style on this bike.

It doesn't have the suspension travel or weight bias of a true sumo, so no, I would not recommend it.

You can back it in just fine though, but 70 ftlb at the wheel will put you on your head most ricky tick.

mball
12-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Auditude, I'll throw my 2 cents in regarding your question about riding super-motard style on a Tuono. My frame of reference is my Honda XR628 motard, dual sports of various sizes, and my '07 Tuono. I think the main limit to riding the Tuono or other nakeds that style is you can't sit forward on the gas tank like the seat/tank juncture on a super-moto or dual sport allows. That forward, upright position lets you dip the bike side to side with slight pressure on the bars and with the knee on the outside of the tank. I think this position allows good control when the back end gets loose on you as well - that's the fun of this style, right? Like others advised, I'd be careful about putting your foot down. All you need to do, I think, is unweight that inside peg a bit.