PDA

View Full Version : Derbi senda 50 frame, with RS125 engine - Possible?

ApriliaRsRider
11-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi there - unknowing where to put this post, I thought i'd just put it in here as its to do with a 50cc :) As im nearly 17 - wanted an Mx125 but as they're quite hard to come by in the UK, I thought I could just put an RS125 engine into a Derbi senda 50 frame? My brother has a Derbi senda X-treme model, however the engine barely runs as theres so little compression and he hasn't got round to fixing it, he wants to buy my aprilia off me, so I said ' give me your bike and 450 and you can have my aprilia'' however im wondering, If I took his bike to the garage, got new engine mounts welded onto it, how hard could it be? what kind of complications would I run into? I wouldn't necessarily need to change the wheels because theres alllready a 140 on there, but im aware the braks would have to be changed and everything like that. Thanks.

Zav
11-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Won't work sprocket wrong side and rear brake in way

Just get a dt125r put a 170 kit on it or a Yamaha dt200 topened put that on it, and no other 125 will keep up till about 90mph where the wind will slow you down but still will do close to 100+

ApriliaRsRider
11-23-2013, 08:03 PM
So still using the Derbi Senda frame - just with a different engine?

Zav
11-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah pretty much or you could just forget using derbi frame and buy a Yamaha dt125r and tune the f**k out of it they beat mx125s when tuned right

Or get a Yamaha dt125r and put a yz125 engine in it

ApriliaRsRider
11-23-2013, 08:17 PM
True - Dt125r's are rapid, never seen/Driven an Mx at all, so personally I don't know much about them! but if I don't use the Derbi frame then i'll just buy an Mx as for my first 125(road legal) im gunna have a decent sized budget as im gunna have to keep it for a while! ha, But using the Frame - how much would it cost do you think, 'Paperwork' wise? because i'd have to change everything and get it re-registered as a 125 etc.. Expensive?

Zav
11-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Let's just say most that are done in England are not reg as there new cc. 1 because there builds are hardly ever safe 2 costs too much and too much hassle

Why do you want just a mx the rx and sx are same bike pretty much just diff colours diff wheels and diff tyres and brakes and colours but you can buy a sx125 (loads easier to get but expensive) and convert to crosser trim so same as mx and the rx

ApriliaRsRider
11-24-2013, 06:25 AM
I kinda want the MX because whenever I've had a look at the Sx and the Rx they've commonly used the 11Kw engine, which isn't very powerful at all. and the Mx has always used the more powerful one. However I was just wondering if I make it all Safe and everything, how much would it cost to get it all re-registered after inspection etc..?

Zav
11-24-2013, 06:34 AM
They all have 11kw engines as that's a restricted engine so you cut a wire in the cdi take the cat our off exhaust and get a 34mm carb and you will have the full power bike get a Mick Abby tuned cyclinder, mick Abby exhaust rave 2 cdi and you will have 35hp+

ApriliaRsRider
11-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Aaahh I see - however im still strongly looking into putting a 125 engine into a senda frame - as it'll be So much cheaper than buying a good condition 125. however im just concerned about the hassle involving DVLA etc..

Zav
11-24-2013, 07:59 AM
There's a few possibilities but they will be easier if you pick a kick starts engine with a rpm analog drive like the am6 engine so then you can use same dash and same wiring you just need the engines wiring then a exhaust and change rear sprocket to fit front get new chain

Possible race shocks aka fully adjustable so can adjust to new weight of engine and new brakes with new brake disks prob something like a rs125 or Yamaha dt front brake system and rear brake

ApriliaRsRider
11-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Well the derbi senda frame that I've got at the moment is in pretty rough shape when it comes to all the wiring etc.. it needs a new front end with speedo clocks and everything, because all the wires have been cut off it and the speedo and rev counter doesn't even work, and its just one single digital clock, which doesn't work, so im gunna have to change all the electrics on it anyway - so I don't mind getting a new speedo to fit the new engine that i'll be putting into it anyways. but from personal preference, do you think I should do it? or just sell my bike for 850, and then save for an Mx125 which ive seen for 2000?.

apriliamandan
11-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Just buy a DT125 or MX/RX/SX125 mate. Frame on those are far superior and far more legal.

Burt-t
11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Rs125 engine

Will if you have the rs 125 engine and swing arm slid it all in as one with small amounts of cutting and welding involved I did the same a few years back with a tzr 50 frame as they where better looking then the rs125

mattology
12-02-2013, 07:54 AM
You can do whatever you want. I used a cr125 engine and it came out wonderfully.

ApriliaRsRider
12-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Did you use the cr125 engine in a derbi? Or put it into an rs50?

Zav
12-08-2013, 02:50 PM
He put it in a rs50 what he hardly ever uses and thinks everyone should do it

As I've said eather keep the Sendas engine and tune it wil airsal 80 kit and Doppler crank 28mm carb race exhaust clutch what will give enough power for English roads trust me my airsal 70 kit was enough to get me in trouble loads of times or sell and get a Yamaha dt125r what has same engine as derbi gpr 125 and Yamaha tzr 125 what are easily capable of 90mph + and when tuned capable of 100 mph +

ApriliaRsRider
12-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Haha fair enough - and doing up the derbi doesnt sound like a bad idea - because once swapping my rs I'll have a budget of 600 or so, so could easily do up the derbi properly and do everything correctly :) so yeah I might just do up the engine with an 80cc and then gradually move up to a 125 :)
Thanks

Zav
12-09-2013, 08:02 AM
if you want a nice fast engine use the setup I had on my rs50 streetfighter that was more than fast enough to get me in trouble with cops and other drivers ust to beat my rg125 all the way to 60mph and top out at 75 to 80 mph but if that isn't fast enough swap out the airsal 70 kit for a airsal 80 kit and get Doppler clutch and use a 24mm or 28mm or 30 mm carb should give about 90mph in right conditions and right gearing but be warned I ust to go though 15 worth of fuel in 50 miles or less when just commuting from college and back but when I went skeggy whats about 90 miles away from me did it in full tank sitting at 70moh all way pretty much

mattology
12-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Hahha I ride it whenever I am in town!!! Don't hate xav

apriliamandan
12-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Hahha I ride it whenever I am in town!!! Don't hate xav

Nobody can give you hate, what you have done is brilliant and crazy.

Zav
12-10-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm not hating I'm just saying you hardly ride as your a very busy person

mattology
12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah but that doesn't mean it doesn't start perfectly every time! If I would have ever thought in a thousand years that it would be as good and reliable as this I would be full of it! Yeah right haha. But here I am with a wonderful bike and honestly I think everybody should do it if they don't have learner bike / insurance legality issues

ToraTora
03-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm really not a fan of engine swapping. It can be done, and it can be done well, but most folks that do it fail to do a proper job. They usually think they can just stick a bigger engine in, and everything is fine. They don't go to a larger chain, larger axel, better brakes, better suspension, wheels, etc. They will then say things like you don't need to changes those things, but if that was true why does every single manufacturer do those things when they build a bike with a larger engine?

All that said it doesn't mean that we can't have fun with a Senda chassis. ;)

Here's a preview of one of my current projects.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/dimethylether/bikes/Red%20Senda/file_zps409095f6.jpg

Zav
03-03-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm really not a fan of engine swapping. It can be done, and it can be done well, but most folks that do it fail to do a proper job. They usually think they can just stick a bigger engine in, and everything is fine. They don't go to a larger chain, larger axel, better brakes, better suspension, wheels, etc. They will then say things like you don't need to changes those things, but if that was true why does every single manufacturer do those things when they build a bike with a larger engine?

All that said it doesn't mean that we can't have fun with a Senda chassis. ;)

Here's a preview of one of my current projects.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/dimethylether/bikes/Red%20Senda/file_zps409095f6.jpg

What treatment that getting

knee-dragger777
02-27-2015, 08:04 PM
You can do whatever you want. I used a cr125 engine and it came out wonderfully.

Mattology, I know I am digging up an 14 month old thread. I recently bought a derbi senda 50 on the cheap, and thinking about an engine swap. I know the KTM and CR 85 motor fit pretty easily, but I want to go big and would rather have a 125. I was thinking of an RM, YZ, or CR motor, but wanted to get more feedback from you if I can. Lighting stator questions and the like. I would love to see photos if you have them.

Thanks,
Scott

knee-dragger777
02-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Mattology,

I did find this thread,--http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?244445-Hey-guys-long-time-no-post-New-project/page7

and going through it now, but this is a RS 50 framed 125-- so not a derbi. Correct?

mattology
03-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Knee Dragger - yes it was an Aprilia RS50, not a derbi. But whatever, you can make them work pretty easily.