PDA

View Full Version : electrical issue

foot_loose
11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
I have been getting an intermittent red warning light on the dash. I am taking the bike to the dealers to get it checked on Saturday. On Tuesday morning I started bike. Red light cam on so I turned off to re-start as this has cancelled the warning before. This time I had trouble re-starting but eventually did. Rode to station. Parked for day. Restarted on way home in the evening no problem. I decided to charge the battery using my Optimate. Got an orange battery warning. Recharged overnight and all well this morning. Green lights on the charger. Reconnected to charger this evening. Orange light again! Now the journey I do daily is not far its true but I have not had problems with previous (Japanese) bikes. I know the Capo has a big engine which probably takes a bit of turning over but even so. Do I have a dodgy battery / a charging issue or am I just not riding far enough? If I have to I'll connect to charger every night to keep it topped up.

Any thoughts / advice?

keithc
11-20-2013, 03:48 PM
The green light will almost always go on when you first connect the optimate unless you charging system and batter are spot on with all connections clean, or if you have been on a longish run, enough to charge the batter up.
I would not really worry about this unless you start to get starting problems.

Keith C

foot_loose
11-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks Keith. I'll see how it goes.

RSTman
11-21-2013, 08:00 AM
The green light will almost always go on when you first connect the optimate unless you charging system and batter are spot on with all connections clean, or if you have been on a longish run, enough to charge the batter up.
I would not really worry about this unless you start to get starting problems.

Keith C

Do you mean the orange light?

RSTman
11-21-2013, 08:14 AM
The Rotax engined Aprilias had marginal charging voltage from the reg/rectifiers. I upgraded the reg/rectifier on the Futura I had. RSV was the same. Charging voltage should be at least 14V, not much more than 13 was the norm for those bikes. Have not had chance to test the charging voltage on the Capo. Shame Aprilia didn't include a voltage read out on the dash (like Multistrada and 1400GTR).

While 13 something volts is enough in summer with long runs, it's not in winter with short runs lights one etc. Having said all that niether Futura or RSV actually failed to start at any time (sounded doubtful a few times though).