PDA

View Full Version : aprilia alarm

mathew
11-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Anyone got this fitted? Or anyone added it at a later date? Did it help insurance and does it kill the battery

AussieMat
11-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Anyone got this fitted? Or anyone added it at a later date? Did it help insurance and does it kill the battery
Made no difference to insurance in Australia

Globalone
11-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Easy to fit, does not kill the battery, Fitted after my insurance was sorted so any savings would have been wiped out by the admin fee so have not mentioned it to the insurance co.

Mr Pope
11-15-2013, 03:26 AM
Didn't bother - no-one these days worries about an alarm going off unless it's their own. In fact, most folks find them annoying.

I opted for a tracker so the bike texts me whenever it moves :)

keithc
11-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Didn't bother - no-one these days worries about an alarm going off unless it's their own. In fact, most folks find them annoying.

I opted for a tracker so the bike texts me whenever it moves :)

Got to agree with this comment. All alarms seem to do is give the owners bother when they go wrong, as they invariably do. And to be honest I dont see a tracker doing much either as if someone is going to steal your bike they will do no matter what you do. The police are not really interested (and its really not advisable to go against a gang that steal bikes for a living on your own or with a few mates, after all they know where you live) and the insurance companies dont appear to be or they wouldn't allow frames for written off bikes to be sold with registration docs.

Keith C

Mr Pope
11-17-2013, 03:15 AM
At least with a tracker you're not waking folks up at stupid o'clock with an alarm that won't go off plus you can ping it whenever and find out where it is (to the nearest metre)

mathew
11-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Just spoke to my Insurer and neither the alarm or a tracker effect (reduce) the insurance price so I wont be doing either!

keithc
11-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Just reinforces my comment really, the insurance companies dont really care. They just set the premiums to reflect how much they pay out so dont really loose out in the long run. That pleasure is down to their customers.
To really stop or reduce thefts the insurance companies must stop selling major parts of bikes on with registration documents (or the ability to get them). If you check how much a new frame is, compared to the price you pay for a second hand one with registration documents you will see what I mean. How can a second hand frame be worth more than a new one. I cannot see al legitimate reason for this.

Keith C

simond
11-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know what type and model of immobiliser is fitted? I'm guessing some kind of Meta type. I'm looking at insurance comparison websites and some want to know the make/type of alarm etc.
Simon

keithc
11-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Normally if you type in OE it works out OK

Keith C

Mr Pope
11-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Just spoke to my Insurer and neither the alarm or a tracker effect (reduce) the insurance price so I wont be doing either!

Strangely I got a 20% discount because of the tracker

keithc
11-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Strangely I got a 20% discount because of the tracker

That's great news, did they tell you how much this discount was while they were preparing the quote, or was the discount given after they had quoted you? I may be a cynic, but if it was during the quote it may have been just a throw away comment. I really dont believe a word insurance companies say.

Keith C

Mr Pope
11-30-2013, 04:20 AM
That's great news, did they tell you how much this discount was while they were preparing the quote, or was the discount given after they had quoted you? I may be a cynic, but if it was during the quote it may have been just a throw away comment. I really dont believe a word insurance companies say.

Keith C

Know the feeling, but after insuring a group 14 bike (950sm) this was about 20% cheaper..