PDA

View Full Version : strange indicator problem

jaguar65
05-26-2004, 10:12 AM
I bought a set of mini chromed indicators for the rear of my scoot, the old ones had been working until I installed them and work properly now.
The new ones posed a bit of a problem however. When activated, they did not blink. The front and rear indicators went on but then did not stay on. I initially thought it was something to do with the electrics of the setup, but realised it couldn't be when the old ones worked fine. I imagine it is something simple, any ideas?
Thanks!

MOLECULAR-SR50
05-26-2004, 02:55 PM
I would check the replacement lite's wattage...these scoot's don't have much extra juice..bulb watt's are listed in owners manual...make sure it's not drawing too much from the system...I think that's why LED's are popular,they take little wattage for bright lite's...just my 2c....:peace:

ditechspain
05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
The flasher depends on the amount of current passing through in order to work. use lower wattage bulbs and they will either flash slower, or never actually flash at all.

jaguar65
05-31-2004, 11:54 AM
so in order for my blinkers to flash, they need to use more power which can be acheived by drawing more current from the battery so if I mount some resistors in the loop they should be ok?
Thanks
John

ditechspain
05-31-2004, 02:47 PM
you need to get the total resistance back up to the level of the original bulbs to keep the original flash rate. too high a resistance and the result will be a very short blink.

Glad you started this project?

jaguar65
05-31-2004, 03:59 PM
in all honesty, yes:
I have been learning a great deal about electronics lately and have managed a 20 LED setup for the underside/headlamps of my scoot so something like this should be no major task. I study physics at college so I have a basic understanding about why certain things have to be done...which always helps!
The new indicators look so much cooler than the old ones anyways!
Will give you some pics and tell you how it goes in a few days