PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control - How do you set it?

simond
10-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Picked up the new bike today and having read the owners manual, I can't seem to set the cruise contol. I press the button for what seems like 3 - 4 seconds and the green cruise warning light starts flashing I release the button and then press again for 1 second and it doesn't set. I've tried different lengths of pressing the button whilst the cruise light flashes but no joy!
I've tried it at constant speed (60 - 70mph) in 4th , 5th and 6th, so it should be in the operating speed range.
It obviously isn't idiot proof!

Can anyone give me advice on what I need to do.

Simon

fredaroony
10-22-2013, 02:54 PM

simond
10-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Fredaroony,
I'll give it a go on the way home tonight.

Simon

Mr Pope
10-23-2013, 01:29 AM
I find you need to almost remove your hand from the clutch lever too

fredaroony
10-23-2013, 02:21 AM

nisbeam
10-23-2013, 02:43 AM
Yes. Also if you indicate to turn, and then pull in the clutch to drop a gear, you have two green lights flashing... :confused: who thought that was a good idea.

KiwiNinja69
10-23-2013, 04:51 AM
I was thinking about this riding home tonight, so what I'm thinking about trying is pulling the switch apart and swapping over the cruise control button and the heated grip buttons as I don't have heated grips on the bike. The heated grips button protrudes out further too so in hoping that will make it all easier to push and it's in a more ergonomically designed position.

ChrisHall
10-23-2013, 05:05 AM
or join the "left hand" operation club! Note - membership could result in a shortened life expectancy

fredaroony
10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
I was thinking about this riding home tonight, so what I'm thinking about trying is pulling the switch apart and swapping over the cruise control button and the heated grip buttons as I don't have heated grips on the bike. The heated grips button protrudes out further too so in hoping that will make it all easier to push and it's in a more ergonomically designed position.

Take pictures if you do!

simond
10-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, I tried to set the cruise again on the way home last night. 10 miles of quiet dual carriageway, apart from someone resembling Victor Meldrew riding along on his Capo, swearing at the cruise control button!
I get the green cruise light flashing but cannot get it to set. I am pushing the button hard enough, as it can't travel any further up its housing. If I briefly push it nothing, try a couple of seconds....nothing just flashing cruise light still, then push it for 3 - 4 seconds and the flashing cruise light goes off! So I can turn it on and off but can't set it.
Anyone got any ideas?

Simon

nisbeam
10-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I find mine sometimes cannot be set, usually if I cancel ,.e.g to slow down, then try to set for a second time it just keeps flashing and will not set. So it may be that after the first unsuccessful attempt your will also refuse as mine does.
The first problem is I dont have a thumb 6 inches long with multiple joints, so I roll my hand back of the throttle a bit first. Usually I find the only way to make mine work it to start it (about 4 secs) so the light is flashing, then reach a steady speed and hold it steady while pressing the button in for 1 sec - no more, then release. You need to be holding the steady speed while you set it or it wont work.
So in summary I think the design is a piece of crap. It should be on the left bar with a simple toggle on/off, and also have up/down to vary the speed. Also the light should not flash to compete with the indicator.
But hey/ho the rest of the controls are OK, well apart from the indicator switch which doesn't click to let you know you have cancelled. I still have to keep checking I have cancelled mine.
But the full beam switch is good and positive so at least we have one good switch :cool:

fredaroony
10-23-2013, 01:57 PM

simond
10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks nisbeam and fredaroony.
I'll try again tonight but I'm not holding my breath.......................wait a minute...............perhaps that's what you have to do to set the blooming thing!!

fredaroony
10-24-2013, 01:40 AM

simond
10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Tried again last night and still no joy. I tried every combination of button pressing but all I can do is turn cruise on i.e get the green light flashing, and then turn it off again. I just can't get it to set the speed. I set a steady speed, constant throttle etc. 70mph in 5th and 6th but no luck. I even tried joining the left hand club and that didn't work!
Frustrating is the word.

DodgyGeezer
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
I found it impossible to do with right hand, or with thick gloves. The button has to pushed in soooo far.

Once the CC is turned on, just a quick push on the button sets it. Push too long and you turn it off.

Otherwise simond, it's back to the dealer!

fredaroony
10-24-2013, 02:41 PM

simond
10-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Looks like it's a dealer job. I ordered an Aprilia top box 2 weeks ago and it should be here mid-November! I'll get the dealer to look at it then. Also, I've noticed the water pump starting to leak. There's coolant seeping out of the drain pipe. I've only had it 3 days, so I should have a reasonable list of snags for the dealer to look at by mid-November!!
On the plus side, the water leak has taken my mind off the cruise fault, lol.
When I get a resolution, I will post on here.
Thanks again for all of your advice.

simond
10-29-2013, 08:05 AM
I've got it booked in to a dealer on Nov 12th for them to have a look at the cruise issue. I'll keep you posted.

RSTman
10-30-2013, 05:31 AM
Also, I've noticed the water pump starting to leak. There's coolant seeping out of the drain pipe. I've only had it 3 days, so I should have a reasonable list of snags for the dealer to look at by mid-November!!
On the plus side, the water leak has taken my mind off the cruise fault, lol.
When I get a resolution, I will post on here.
Thanks again for all of your advice.
Unless coolant is pouring out of the weep pipe I wouldn't worry (mine does it too). Both my rotax engined Aprilias did this, changed the seal on one of then (pig of a job) fine for serveral thousand miles then leaking again. Changed coolant, no leaking.
My Kawa 1400GTR and a Honda Firestorm also weeped coolant from the pump weep hole every so often BTW. Never caused a problem.

KiwiNinja69
11-02-2013, 02:07 AM
So I've pulled the switch apart to swap the cruise control and heated grips button over. Looks like you can do this, but the exterior buttons can't be swapped due orientation guides to stop the button spinning.

So I'm trying to decide if I should still do it and push the heated grip button for the cruise control and vice versa.

AussieMat
11-02-2013, 04:21 AM
I rode home from work today with out gloves ( haven't done that before), cruise engaged every time first go . Will see what I am doing different tomorrow .

KiwiNinja69
11-02-2013, 06:13 PM
After all the cabling isn't quite long enough to do the swap, even with a gentle pull on the cables to give some extra length. So back to the drawing board on thar one.

RSTman
11-03-2013, 12:36 PM
After all the cabling isn't quite long enough to do the swap, even with a gentle pull on the cables to give some extra length. So back to the drawing board on thar one.

You could just super glue an extension on the button. Alternatively if the button is a simple shape get a longer one machined from nylon rod?

simond
11-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Well I took the bike in to "On Yer Bike" today, to have them look at my cruise control problem. It took them one ride for 5 minutes to find the fault. There was a connector on the clutch micro switch which had fallen off! So, after refitting it with a bit of silicone on, just to stop it from falling off again, I was on my way. I engaged the cruise and set it successfully every time, on the journey home. Big thanks to the guys at On Yer Bike.
So, if I get the problem again, I will check the clutch and front and back brake switches to make sure they are ok.

fredaroony
11-17-2013, 02:48 PM