PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get PISSED!!!!!!

raddison
10-16-2013, 07:27 PM
I've got an '11 DD 1200. The fuel tank has started swelling (as others have according to this forum). The tank has swollen so much that is has broken the mount for the side cover under the seat and lacks approx. 1/2 inch ripping all of the way through the front of the tank cover. So I take the bike to the closest dealer 1 1/2 hours away and they get the warranty work approved. This has been almost two months ago. I call them and a few weeks ago and they have already received the tank cover but no tank. So, I call Aprilia USA. They call me back and the tank is on backorder. No idea when it will be available. I wait a couple weeks and call back. Same thing except this time the woman on the phone acts like I am bothering her by calling back. She tells me that her techs say that I'm fine riding the bike and I just need to wait. REALLY??? The tank cover like about 1/2 inch a there will be nothing connecting it to the bike on the top side. This just doesn't seem safe to me. I also have to wonder just how much these tanks can swell without rupture. The bike is a blast to ride but the company is really letting me down. I asked the dealer what would happen if the next tank swells and the same thing happens. They politely said that I would be out of luck if my warranty is gone. With no better customer support than this I'm thinking about jumping the fence to a Japanese bike. Pretty sure I'm going to unload the DD if it ever gets fixed.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Beau1K
10-16-2013, 07:44 PM
There's a coating you can apply to the inside of your new tank as a preventative measure to ensure the ethanol doesn't do this again. Google it. Sorry to hear about your issue :/

There's been a handfull of posts about it on this forum I think, there's a consensus as to which one is best search the forum too.

raddison
10-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the advice Beau1K. You know the problem with the tank is really not the biggest issue here. I understand that there are going to be problems. That's fine. The problem is the lack of customer support that Aprilia is offering. No explanation, no ETA. A while back Kawi had a recall on the Teryx4 side x side. It took them a while to get it fixed, but not only did they give us an extra six months of warranty on the thing, they give us a $300 credit at the dealer for accessories. Kawi sent out several letters over a couple month period apologizing and giving owners update on the status. That's real customer appreciation. I'm not necessarily looking for free stuff but can I get explanation or status update. To me it just shows arrogance of Aprilia as a company and shows that they really could care less about what I think.

Mr.Dorso
10-16-2013, 08:45 PM
All these situations make my hard decision to sell my beloved DD1200 for a KTM1290 Duke that little bit easier..! Sorry to hear though, I've had some issues myself, insanely frustrating. They should of done a recall on the tank, it's a worry

Beau1K
10-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Aprilia is no Kawasaki...it's a small company...goes with the territory. I wish they were better on the service, parts etc. but that's Europe for you...anything from across the pond is a pain in the ass to deal with especially Italy.

So I dunno about GA but in CA the fuel system, tank included, is held to a higher standard I think the warranty goes to 5 years? Just something I heard maybe somebody could back that up with some fact...I could be wrong but I've heard of Aprilia warranting tanks long after the warranty period.

lanter
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
I waited over three months for my new tank! The new tank has a different texture on the outside, but I have no idea if the tank is lined different to prevent future problems. At least my dealer got my bike up and running while I waited for aprilia US dragging their asses on my claim.

ramon61
10-17-2013, 09:42 AM
I was seriously considering the Dorsoduro to replace my Guzzi V11 which has a plastic tank that bulges in one spot in hot weather if I use ethanol contaminated gas. Luckily, there is a gas station
in my area that sells ethanol free gas for the recreational vehicle crowd. My bike is 10 years old, so Guzzi/Aprilia certainly has known of the issue for a long time and has chosen not to address it.
Depressing.

u00bgg2
10-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I feel the pain. I did get my tank replace, mine also on back order for 5 months. I have ridden it very little since getting it fixed due to work but I to have concerns over tank number two swelling. As posted above, my single biggest disappointment is the customer service, the are NOT a small company but seem to have not figured out the formulation that Ducati finally realized which is take care of your customers and they will be loyal to you.

Raddison what GA dealer are you using? I am asking because the closest one to me is in NC and they sucked, that the other part of the experience that I was smarting on.

mc18
10-23-2013, 09:40 AM
I really like this bike but ethenol is a big problem. All my other bikes the carbs get clogged in short order. I think I need to get in the habit of draining all the gas out of my tanks when I'm done riding. Need to add a fuel drain line what a pain.
Harley XR 1200 have a big problem with there plastic tanks expanding.

ramon61
10-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Ethanol crudded up the throttle bodies on my Guzzi V11, so my dealer said, so it's ethanol free gas from now on. Check the internet for gas stations in your area that sell ethanol free
gas. If I had a metal tank, I'd still use ethanol free.

keithc
10-29-2013, 03:09 PM
As u00bgg2 says Aprilia is not a small company as such as it belongs to Piaggio which is a massive company that owns seven brands of motorcycle and scooter.
The fuel tank thing should have been resolved by now as its been going on for years, as stated Ducati suffered from this some tome ago and seem to have sorted out out for their customers.
As for me I will be using Super Unleaded in the UK s it doesn't seem to contain Ethanol yet with many fuel companies and to be honest seems to give better MPG as well. An important consideration with the size of the 750 DD fuel tank :)

Keith C

hank
11-01-2013, 09:09 AM
The tanks are made by Acerbis - they also make tanks for Ducati, KTM and others... all are subject to swelling from Ethanol. Unless you coat the tank or use non-Ethanol fuel, they will swell.

photoRotor
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Short answer for appropriate coating product?

hank
11-01-2013, 09:33 AM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?281433-Dragons-Blood-Tank-Coating&highlight=caswell

photoRotor
11-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks Hank