PDA

View Full Version : Project! 2002 RS50. Idea's, advice and tips would be much appreciated!

D.LECKIE
10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi folks! This is my first RS50 project and also my first post so bear with me here!
Can someone please inform me on how to post pictures? As it's not letting me add an attachment or insert image!:whiner:

I'll be doing all the work my self so any tips or tricks for my project would be great!

Right about the bike:-

It's a 2002 Aprilia RS50(as you may have guessed:angel:)

It's in really bad condition as the last owner threw it about like a rag doll and never looked after it.

He drained the gearbox before selling it to me(don't know why...)

Plastics are rough and will need about a week spent on them and will also need to buy new bolts for them as he gave me a tin which was supposed to have had them all in it... opened it today and there were a total of 4 :WTF:

The cylinder was destroyed(obviously) but head was in ok condition and maybe reusable.

Tank mount in front of the seat is snapped.

He had the documents!

The bottom end seems fine.

The rear brake works a treat!

Decent tread on the tyres.

I got the bike dirt cheap so I'm not complaining!

Ordered a few parts that will be here Monday(14th):-

Battery
50cc top end kit
Motul 10W40(for gearbox)
Sprocket cover
Gold Chain
Paint

Still need to buy:-

Twin can exhaust
Body filler
Sandpaper 280, 400, 800 & 1500.
Bellypan
Carbon levers
Dot 5 brake fluid
Speedo Cable
Castrol 2stroke oil
Fuel filter

Think that's all that I need right now!

Any suggestions on what I should attack first? already started to strip down (what's left anyway)

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 04:58 AM
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae71/dleckie1/DSC_0777_zpsb2dc4435.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/dleckie1/media/DSC_0777_zpsb2dc4435.jpg.html)

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 04:58 AM
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae71/dleckie1/DSC_0776_zpsda52da54.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/dleckie1/media/DSC_0776_zpsda52da54.jpg.html)

After stripdown

apriliamandan
10-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Hi and Welcome mate!

First off, Do not buy a Twin endy exhaust system, they;re crap. Get a decent Arrow or Gianelli Pipe, will liven the bike up no end. You'll have to re jet the carburettor.

When running in the new cylinder, run a slightly over sized main jet and a extra 100:1 premix in the tank to prevent seizures.

Make sure your gearbox oil is suitable for wet clutch and not for scooters. Fully synthetic aswell.

Personally, I think carbon effect brake levers are naff. Original, but with a few engine mods is the way to go.

Fuel filters aren't needed either, but by all means fit one for the sake of a few quid.

The Am6 engine is a very tunable engine, plenty of big bore kits around for them , from mild torque kits to real screamers!

If you have the 12mm carburettor, I would get rid of it and fit a nice 19mm or 21mm Dellorto carb. This will give you far more power and much stronger power band.

Adrenalin Pedstop, Easyparts and AJSutton are all good suppliers. Ebay is full of spares also.

I would sort the engine out first, get it running as it should. Sort out all the mechanical things, then concentrate on cosmetics.

I recommend you use Stainless nuts, bolts and washers as salty roads eat them up.

Regarding pictures, theres a button called insert image.

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi mate!

Advice straight off the line, I like it!

Im going to have a look around for a decent exhaust

Im having to premix the fuel myself as the oil pump/feed hasn't got a cable as the throttle cable is missing! So im just going to mix the fuel myself!

Have any links for jets, carbs etc as I dont know exactly what would fit what haha!

I've ordered most of my parts from adrenalin but got the cylinder kit from pedparts

Ive used AJSutton for a previous bike(Gilera Cougar 125) and I would recomend them to anyone!

I dont care for a "screamer" as I want it to be more of a reliability beast than a speed freak!

I do have the 12mm carb that has been stripped for bits! So I need a new carb anyway, and also a throttle cable.

Im going to try and replace most nuts, bolts and washers to stainless! Looks so much better aswell!

RS_Patrick
10-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Edit your post instead of making new ones right after an other.

Think he figured out how Photobucket works Dan as he posted the other 2 pics fine.
If you look at the image you want to post theres a list with links and one of them says IMG, thats the one you want to copy, and all you do is paste it in the same window here as you type your story in and after posting it shows up.

Or klick on Go Advanced, and you get more option including a Preview button so you can see how your post including pictures etc. is gonna look on the forum.

If you buy a difrent carb, you might want to go for a Polini carb kit (and choke cable kit) that has the Manifold and Adaptor for the Stock Airbox.

I would have posted a list of the parts you wanted to order and see if anyone had any comments on them or if you needed something extra that you forgot/didnt know about to get it all working perfectly

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeah I figured it out eventually!

Its only because my laptop wouldn't let me upload any pics but my phone worked straight away!

I need:-

Carb
Exhaust
Front brake pads
Radiator hoses
Plastic "T" piece for cooling hoses
Throttle cable
Fairing bolts(almost all of them)
Gear lever
Front brake lever
Speedo cable
HT cap

RS_Patrick
10-13-2013, 01:24 PM
You do not need the plastic T piece that goes into the cooling hose if you change the cilinder and/or carb as its ment to go to the carb for heating and than back to the head, but aftermarked carbs dont have the heating circuit on the manifold or on the carb, so its useless and its better to go straight from the radiator to the pump.
And if you where to change the cilinder(head) than it might have the in and outlet nipples for the carb heating both on the head, instead of just one nipple, or on some heads they dont have anything at all.

For the HT cap get one out of silicone rubber, they are much better than the old fasion hard ones.
And but good quality sintered front brakepads, be carefull that you buy a set for the RS50, because there are pads that look almost identical but the C-schaped extension on one of the pads has a difrent diameter.

For the faiting bolts, you can get sets of aluminium ones with the needed speednuts in almost any colour you like.

Zav
10-13-2013, 01:45 PM
If need any fairing pieces I have 2 full sets I also have a twinendy exhaust if interested also got a range of carbs spare as well as manifolds plus a few spare bits for engine got 2 spare what I'm keeping then 2 prettyf much full engines in parts

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 02:25 PM
What size carbs you got mate? And im gonna buy a new exhaust just so I know its in great condition.

Going to change the cooling pipes to red anyway so thats perfect!

Also what condition are the cylinder heads in? Mines looks salvagable but dont wanna risk anything!

apriliamandan
10-13-2013, 03:18 PM
If in doubt, buy a new cylinder head off ebay for 20!

I wouldn't go over 21mm size if you're using stock cylinder.

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Cheers! :worship:

Zav
10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Currently I have a 12mm a 16mm a 28mm and a 32mm carb all with manifolds and the 28mm has a powerjet so is very nice indeed aha but I'm guessing there all too small or too big for what you want them for

RS_Patrick
10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
16mm would be good on his stock cilinder, should have a Aluminium Gilardoni barrel wich is really easy to tune the ports on a little to get a lot of performance out of them.

If it can be honed to get rid of light scratches and you install a oversized cheap piston you can have a lot of fun from it.

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
16-21mm should be fine I think.

21mm with a foam filter and up sized jets? Also think ill just go for the twin can exhaust then upgrade to a custom made one at a later date?

What size of jets should I need?
Or even a rough guess between what sizes as I can just buy the kit that has like 20 different sizes!

Michelet
10-13-2013, 04:52 PM
You get bolts for the fairings at tastynuts.com ;)

RS_Patrick
10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Stock Filter mate, or Go-kart style airbox, but i would go for the stock airbox.

Wouldnt even botter with a twin end pipe, even a really cheap "normal" ppe will probably be a lot better.

Dont forget the reeds, if your sticking with 50cc 0.30mm reeds should be fine.

D.LECKIE
10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks Michelet! What a brilliant address haha!

I still have the stock airbox Patrick so will just stick with that then.
My budget on an exhaust was between 120-160

Was thinking any of these
http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/scooter-bike/aprilia/moto-50cc-250cc/rs-50cc-lc-1999-2005-minarelli-engine/exhaust

I've been looking at reeds but they all look the same to me except you get carbon ones?

RS_Patrick
10-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Reeds come in difrent thicknesses, depending on your setup.
Sugest you buy a kit like these with 0.30, 0.35 and 0.40mm reeds so you have the right reeds no matter what: http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/01052712430C0/0-4019-1682-499-2034-2403-373/303/Serie_Lamel.F.Carb._Sp.0,30-0,35-0,40_Val.Or.html

My pick of those pipes would be this one even though its a little over budget: http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/yasuni-r1-powerpipe-aluminium-silencer-aprilia-rs50 really cheap price for that pipe
Unlike whats posted on that site, the pipe is not suitable at all for a 70cc kit, so its only good if you know your gonna stick with a (fast) 50cc kit.

These are also good allround pipes: http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/01104127/0-4019-121-87-1567/15340/Exhaust_Leovince_Hm_V6_4127_Aprilia_Rs_50_(1999-2003)_E-Pass.html

Arrow and Giannelli are also ok, but you need to buy a silencer with them and i think there a little disapointing compaired to the pipes they had a few years back.

apriliamandan
10-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Ive got an Arrow pipe (purchased in 2007) and its brilliant for what I want. They can be picked up for 150 easily.

D.LECKIE
10-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Ahh thats perfect!

Don't mind if I don't get 100% power or that, just like the look of the twin cans :lover:

See the 100:1 mix that you said? That doesn't sound right to me?
Correct me if I'm wrong but 10L of fuel would be 0.10L of 2T?
Can someone dumb it down for me :P
Say I have 10L of fuel...how much oil do I need to mix in?

Need to get M7 nuts for the head as the last guy lost them! :mad:

On the bright side it was like christmas today! Received some parts today and also all my paint!

What inlet manifold and carb should I go for?
Was thinking http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p-21mm_racing_carburettor_from_TNT_for_2T_scooters-4361.aspx
and this http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Rubber_inlet_manifold_for_Minarelli_AM6_engine_RS_ 50_TZR_etc-1540.aspx but it doesnt have a size in description?

Can't wait to get torn in!
Thanks for the help so far guys! Keep it up! :worship:

RS_Patrick
10-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Are you gonna go with a 50cc or 70cc kit? for 50cc its much better to get the Polini carb kit (carb, manifold, adaptor for airbox) and a polini cable choke set.

If you want to add 100:1 extra trough the fuel, than you need to add 100ml/cc to 10 liters of feul, and the good thing is that the feultank holds 13 liters of wich 3 liters reserve, so if you had to switch to reserve and fill her up again jou can add 100ml of feul and it should be fine.

Dont go for a twin can pipe mate, its not just that they perform poorly, but also because one of the end pipes Always fills up with gunk your gonna get problems with starting the bike after a while also.
Personaly i dont like the look of those twin endcan pipes at all.

D.LECKIE
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm sticking with the 50cc kit for now mate.

So 100ml-10L then 30-50ml-10L after its been run in?

Ahh I see now, ok I'll take the advice and go for a single can then :angel:

apriliamandan
10-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Just always mix in 10ml to every 1Litre (100:1). Put in 6 Litres of petrol, you need 60ml of oil.

Dont buy Endy pipes! They're crap! Get an arrow or something!

D.LECKIE
10-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Perfectly explained there! Thanks!

Gonna go for this one for now http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/powerpipe-rs50-1999-2005

Just because its gonna do the job I want it to!
Might change my mind at a later date :p:

See when installing my cylinder kit, should I line the Bore & Pin with 2T?

RS_Patrick
10-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Just rub a little tiny amound of 2 stroke on the barrel wen installing.

For running the engine in its much better to run a slighty bigger mainjet than needed than to ad extra oil btw. naturaly you can always add a little extra oil.

What Oil did you get exactly for the Gearbox?

D.LECKIE
10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Perfect cheers.

I got Motul 10w40 semi synthetic but I realise that fully synthetic would be better!

apriliamandan
10-15-2013, 01:27 PM
When fitting the piston and barrel, I find it easier to fit the piston in the barrel first, then slot the gudgeon pin in. Shove plenty of rag in the crank case to prevent any circlips finding their way in the bottom end. I lube the bore, piston and little end up with 2 stroke oil.

As long as the gearbox oil is for wet clutch then thats fine.

RS_Patrick
10-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Should have been Fully Syntetic oil, but its not a disater if you use a high quality semi syntetic oil from Motul, has to be for a Motorcylce with Wet Clutch though like Dan said.

D.LECKIE
10-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Yeah it was the only 10w40 oil in the RS50 section :happy:

I need to get some M7 nuts for the head before I can do anything! So I'll be taking a little trip to the nuts and bolts shop down the road from me on Saturday!

Then it's time to order the exhaust :D

RS_Patrick
10-15-2013, 04:04 PM
M7 nuts and rings you need, use stainless steel ones (not aluminium)

D.LECKIE
10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Perfect cheers Partick!

Still to buy:-
Domed stainless M7 nuts x4
Stainless M7 washers x4
Castrol 2T oil x 4Litres
Exhaust(Still not decided on what one:tired:)
Maybe a new front tyre (as I think mine has a slow leak)
Extra key cut(just incase)
Body filler
Sand paper
Petrol
MOT
Road Tax
Insurance

Almost got everything I need! Think I'm just going to do it practically all at once! Over the course of a week probably.
Expected date of finish Sunday 17th of November (If I can get its MOT booked)

Did you do the rear fairing yourself Patrick? If so, do you mind giving me advice on how to do it?
I was just going to make up a fiberglass insert then use body filler to smooth it off?

RS_Patrick
10-16-2013, 06:10 AM
I bought the rear fairing mate, the one i have is for both the RS50 and the RS125 99-05, but you see them more with th Y-pannels atached, and in that case you ned to make sure its for the RS50, as theY-pannels on the RS125 are difrent.

Make sure you get fully syntetic 2 stoke oil.

D.LECKIE
10-16-2013, 03:19 PM
I've decided to make my own rear fairing out of fiberglass. Should be cool if it comes out the way I want!

Its definitely fully synthetic 2T oil that I'm getting

D.LECKIE
12-03-2013, 07:09 PM
UPDATE!!

Not posted on this in a while so thought I'd post a little update!

-Have it now running but not correctly, Jets I think as it doesn't idle(Gets down to around 1200rpm and dies) and barely pulls when riding! Think it has something to do with the exhaust :P

-Coolant "T" piece needed but I'm just going to use a brass fitting from b&q :angel:

-Tried vinyl wrapping the side fairing and it failed miserably, so I'm just going to paint them.

Suggestions?

Cheers

apriliamandan
12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
When vinyl wrapping, you need plenty of heat. Yeah, there's defiantly a skill required to wrap.

I have my bike set to idle (when warm) to around 1300rpm.

You possibly need a bigger pilot jet.

D.LECKIE
12-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Can anyone tell me the standard jet sizes for the stock carb? As im having trouble figuring out what jet sizes to go up to on main & pilot.

First im going to try adjusting needle position to make it run richer then I'll change jets to suit.