PDA

View Full Version : alternative aftermarket exhaust available

beeney
10-12-2013, 02:07 PM
just found one of these.looks better than the gpr,less than half the price of the arrow,have to start counting my pennies
http://www.sc-project.com/aprilia_caponord_1200_e.htm

RSTman
10-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I might be the odd one out here but what's wrong with the std can? Looks and sounds OK to me.
Unless an after market can makes the fueling better it's a waste of money for me, except in the case of the 1400GTR - now that is an ugly and extremely heavy silencer. The Remus can I bought for that bike had a proper bolt on bracket unlike the cheap looking strap arragement on most after market stuff (sc-project included looking at the pics).

DodgyGeezer
10-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Not much info on their web site. Would be interested to know it it's supposed to add horsepower, weight, and decibells.

beeney
10-12-2013, 02:45 PM
i took dealer demo bike out with arrow titanium and it sounded better, looked better and ran very well and felt a bit quicker.with the bikes parked next to each other on side stands the standard silencer looked massive.
i don't expect i'll be riding much over the next few months now so i'll see whats on the market next spring,but i just though i'd give everyone a heads up on whats available.

BigSteve
10-12-2013, 03:18 PM
so i'll see whats on the market next spring,but i just though i'd give everyone a heads up on whats available.

I expect 3 or 4 of the exhaust manufactures will have slip on silencers for the Capo by the spring....although I thought the standard can sounded fruity enough on my test ride...some nice deep throat Leo's would stir the the local neighbourhood up....:banana:

kadracing
10-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Just put a GPR on my Caponord. Saves a lot of weight

Nolz
10-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Would love to see some pics and even a short vid if you can manage it kadracing.

The demo which made me sign on the dotted line was fitted with the Arrow can, and it sure was a great compromise between looks and noise. Can't wait to see what other manufacturers are going to come up with. Hopefully soon!

Mr Pope
10-13-2013, 02:32 AM
Does it have the valve installed?

keithc
10-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Not a fan of after market cans really, unless the original requires replacement. OK they sound nicer but they also attract the attention of the cops, as they can hear you coming. Not good. And I suppose they also save a little weight, then again so does going on a diet which costs you less money :)

I actually think the Capo sounds quite good with the standard can BTW

Keith C

kadracing
10-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Will put one up in the next day or two. It bolts onto the cat. It removes the exhaust valve. You remove the cables from the stepper motor, but leave it there to operate otherwise you get errors. Saves about 5 kg. The GPR comes with two baffles . I modded one and left the other out , but it was too noisy , so I put the one back in.
Sounds better than standard, but the big difference is the weight. Got the stainless one as I didnt think the Ti or Carbon finish would handle the gravel or falls as well.

I am a fan of aftermarket cans. Especially the weight saving

Mr Pope
10-14-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm in agreement with Keith tbh, I lost 2 stones before I got the Capo (12kg for you metric types)so I've already lost that weight twice over without spending £800! If you're that bothered by weight, stay off the kebabs & pasties :)

Plus the rozzers like to be woken up before nicking you.. :spankie:

Nolz
10-14-2013, 04:14 AM
I used to be a fan of aftermarket can's purely for the noise and looks. As the years have worn on its turned into exhaust note, looks and WEIGHT saved. The kilo's shed can be put on in food consumed on rides :) so it's win win.

There are cans out there that aren't obnoxiously loud but allow for you to enjoy more of that V-twin goodness. Just waiting for those manufacturers to make something up for the Caponord.

kadracing
10-20-2013, 02:29 AM
GPR Exhaust

Nolz
10-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Your one pic has sold it so much better than their official website and youtube vids. Looks great! Your thoughts so far, compared to stock and increased volume?

Mr Pope
10-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Nice look. So, does the valve actually do anything or is it just for show?

kadracing
10-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Valve is gone. Stepper motor stays so no codes come up. Saves a lot of weight Bit noisier The baffle in the end has been modded , the one in the join between the link pipe and can is standard

beeney
10-20-2013, 03:29 PM
have you seen how much these are now?they were £320 when first listed,now£575,without a valve.
http://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/b/3/Aprilia.html?fCategoryname=Caponord+1200
i like modifying the bike to improve it,but also to make it 'my' bike,so i can tell which is mine in a lineup without checking the number plate.at that kind of money i'll wait and see if any offers on the arrow from dealer.

kadracing
10-20-2013, 05:14 PM
have you seen how much these are now?they were £320 when first listed,now£575,without a valve.
http://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/b/3/Aprilia.html?fCategoryname=Caponord+1200
i like modifying the bike to improve it,but also to make it 'my' bike,so i can tell which is mine in a lineup without checking the number plate.at that kind of money i'll wait and see if any offers on the arrow from dealer.

Thats who I got mine through. Once I purchased on line, it did jump 200 pound, I paid about 275 pound, then postage on top of that , no VAT

ACTCapo
02-27-2014, 02:43 AM
Has anyone got an SC-Project exhaust on their 1200 Caponord?

Cheers
Shane

andydj31
02-27-2014, 04:42 AM
This is the results of my friend with CN 1200 and GPR exhaust.

-green line original exhaust
-red line GPR without Db killer
-blu line GPR with Db killer

Disaster! :bangwall: The only advantage is 5 kg less of original exhaust....
Gpr says +3,5 cv with Dbk and +7 cv without but using a PCIII or PCV.

http://www.apriliaontheroad.com/forum/download/file.php?id=387&mode=view/564710_10202423727507511_1343298536_n.jpg

Capo1200
02-27-2014, 07:27 AM
I definitely picked up a duff map from somewhere!

Capo9
02-27-2014, 07:40 PM
hard to imagine the map could be so far out isn't it. It may be that the rexer upgrade has simply brought your bike pretty much bback to standard trim.

It was definitely worth the exercise in your case. Let's hope yours is a one off. Close to getting my bike, but coming off a Hypermotard, the test bike I rode felt like it had 125hp or close to it.

Globalone
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Well is going to get noisy then:gunner:

Globalone
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
New GPR fitted with no baffles,

One of the Exhaust valve cables found to be badly corroded and parted when removed, not sure if it had failed before removal, but if you are keeping the system then the cables could do with some lubrication

mathew
03-12-2014, 12:00 PM
lets have a picture of it then?

Globalone
04-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Ok comments

Nolz
04-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Ahhh finally more pics and options :)

GPR has been out a while but the styling isn't in tune with the bikes lines IMO. As for the Remus can is a little too long for my liking.

I'm hoping someone will get their hands on an SC-Project can, that would be my pick for looks right now.

ACTCapo
04-14-2014, 04:09 AM
GPR in carbon or black would look better. My pick is the SC-Project too. Waiting for feedback, not really keen to be the guinea pig myself...

webley
04-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Don't really understand this desire to be obnoxiously loud, if I could get a bike that was silent like an electric - notice I said "like" - that would be fine for me. Not being 12 years old anymore I don't find I'm impressed much by "big noise". Please spare me your anecdotes about loud pipes save lives etc. I wear earplugs so I don't have to listen to the racket my bike makes. I am far fresher at the end of the ride for not hearing all that noise...and my ears don't ring at the destination. Protecting my own hearing but conversely trying to blast as much noise as possible at everyone around me would make me a bit of a douche wouldn't it? Kind of like if a smoker walked up to you and blew a lungful of 2nd hand smoke into your face.. it's just rude.

idiakez
04-16-2014, 12:48 AM
hey Globalone, is the GPR endcan able to adjust the height position? Will look nice if its pointed slightly higher than now.

Globalone
04-16-2014, 02:43 AM
hey Globalone, is the GPR endcan able to adjust the height position? Will look nice if its pointed slightly higher than now.

GPR will twist up or down, I have some other options that I will check this weekend, I am also having a custom can made should be ready in a month.

Buddymack
08-27-2014, 05:54 PM
I bought the SC-Project pipe installed it and my "Check Engine" light went on. Sounded great but I couldn't stand to see the dam "Check Engine" light on so I shipped the pipe back. Kadracing, Are you not getting any light errors with your GPR Pipe?

idiakez
08-27-2014, 07:46 PM
GPR will twist up or down, I have some other options that I will check this weekend, I am also having a custom can made should be ready in a month.

Custom made can? will you still be able to use the exhaust valve or wateva they call it?

dadsafrantic
08-29-2014, 08:47 PM
when i put the arrow can on i left the valve cables off. the bike was always looking for something in the ecu. it would die at stop lights and stuff. it sounded really good. i put the cables on and it's all cream again.