PDA

View Full Version : New user, looking at purchasing dorsoduro 1200

Ingvald
09-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey guys my name is Kurt and i am thinking of switching sides. I currently own a 2007 Kawasaki zx6r which was the first bike i have owned. i have put close to 20,000 miles on it in the 2 years of ownership so i am looking to buy something different. The aprilia dorsoduro 1200 has my attention right now and i would like to ask for some input please. With my current motorcycle there were certain model years that were more prone to engine failure, my 2007 being one of them. So in short are there anything specific things to look for while purchasing a dorsoduro? There is a brand new 2012 at a dealer near me asking $9450. I am just looking for some general input from people who already own the dorsoduro. Thanks guys and gals i hope to hear from you

extreme67
09-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Look in this thread, and see if u can find something interesting.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?274047-Looking-at-a-2012-DD1200-and-have-a-few-questions

sperry
10-02-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm also new to the DD1200. Have had many bikes over many years, and it has become one of my favorites already. Great handling, upright seating and plenty of power. Very little wind protection...not a good or bad thing, just a consideration depending on how, where and what time of year you like to ride. Not a lot of room for a passenger on the OEM seat. Finally, make sure you can reach the ground comfortably...it has a moderately high seat. That seems like a very good price, and if you can live with Aprilia dealers few and far between, I'd buy it. You can get your money back at that price if you don't end up liking it.

gregga
10-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Great price. I'd say buy it and feel very confident. My hunch is that you understand what the bike means and that's why you're serious about it. I've enjoyed it more than I can tell you. The bike gets a bad rap about fuel range and seat comfort. Getting off every 100+ miles isn't a bad thing and the Airhawk is a simple and inexpensive solution for the butt. A bit more fuel planning required on longer trips but the computer does a reasonable job of keeping you updated. My fuel light comes on at 75 to 90 miles on average. A full 35+ miles left at that point if you turn the volume down a bit.

ramon61
10-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd go for it. Nothing gets my heart pumping like the sound of a big 90 degree v twin engine.

ABN2nds
10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Excellent price, I picked up an 09 in 2012 brand new from a VA dealer for $7000 OTD. You will love the Aprilia!

airbus330
10-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Go for it, one of the best bikes I have owned over many years.
Issues.
Lack of wind protection - get the PUIG screen. Looks good and makes the bike bearable at high speed.
Seat Comfort - OE seat is OK, the Aprillia comfort seat is better by a mile IMHO.
Service - dealers are a patchy lot, mine is not so good.
Range- this is the biggy as there is no fix and if you live or ride in remote areas constantly thinking ahead where the fuel stops are is a pain. This is the only thing which will make me get rid of the bike.
Tyres- eats rears. Using Diablo Rosso ATM, which are fab in dry, less so in the wet.

kag
11-03-2013, 11:58 AM
If I could find a great price like the OP anywhere close to me I would buy asap. Then mod it for my Adv needs.....could be a poor man's Multi Strad with a little work