PDA

View Full Version : Easy, painless, and cheap GP Shift conversion...

meanstrk
09-16-2013, 04:50 PM
On my Mille, I had to buy rearsets to do the conversion in order to avoid cutting bodywork for knuckle clearance when trying a Futura linkage set-up. The same lever and linkage works very well on the Tuono :banana:

Bolts right up with perfect operation. Thanks to spare parts on the shelf, this did not cost me a dime!

This is the Futura rearset the lever and linkage came off....

You will need the lever, linkage, and knuckle, as well as the mounting bolt from the Futura rearset. ON the Futura rearset, this bolt threads directly into the rearset, but on the Tuono rearset, there are no threads, so I used a nyla nut on the back side and it works excellent!

EVLTWN
09-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Nice mod.. thanks :worship:

Hansie
09-25-2013, 02:18 AM
On my Falco there is a RSV set up, also cheap GP shift method.
Why didnt this work for the fut?

meanstrk
09-25-2013, 09:03 AM
It does work for the Futura. All you gotta do is flip the linkage and trim a bit of bodywork to clear the rod. On the Mille however, I was not willing to trim bodywork since it's the rare Edwards version, so I bought Woodcraft rearsets for it. I prefer to have all my bikes set up with the reverse GP pattern since my track bike makes it critical not to screw up mid corner!

tblade
10-01-2013, 12:44 PM
so, what you're saying is that if someone just happened to have a futura rearset on the shelf, they may be able to use the linkage off it...

it must be just me, but that seems like a pretty small set.

thanks for the effort

CarbonDave
10-04-2013, 12:10 PM
so, what you're saying is that if someone just happened to have a futura rearset on the shelf, they may be able to use the linkage off it...

it must be just me, but that seems like a pretty small set.

thanks for the effort

Actually I think what he is saying is if you find a CHEAP (as in the post title) linkage it will work great on an RSVR or Tuono. And if you happen to have one laying around it will not cost a dime.

meanstrk
10-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I am willing to bet you can get a used Futura rearset with shift lever and linkage much cheaper than you can purchase the conversion kit for. That was the reason I posted this. In my case, I happened to have a spare.

tblade
10-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Fair enough. Good to know at the very least. Maybe I'll happen upon one sometime.

Had GP shift on my gsxr a while ago which was nice.

Not hugely attached to it, just takes the ol brain a couple weeks to get used to it... :)

meanstrk
10-07-2013, 08:14 AM
The brain tweaking thing is the reason I did the conversion on all the aprilia's in the garage. My GSXR track bike is set up for GP, and this way I don't have to recalibrate from street to track. The only bikes in the garage left with standard shift are the Katana, Honda quad (Not really standard, but all up to upshift and down to downshift. Just no 1 down or 1 up pattern) and the TTR 110.

tblade
10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Good find kind sir :worship:

I located a shift linkage and did this over the weekend

Setting aside the GP shift thing, two major annoying issues have since been resolved (I was hoping, of course... )

1. I used to have a 'sticky' shift from 1->2. Not anymore with the extra leverage provided by the linkage, its nice and smooth
2. Finding neutral is a piece of cake - can now consistently move to neutral from 1, 2. Earlier, it was pretty @$%&@$%& frustrating. Pretty handy if you're sitting at lights

I owe ya a beer!
all in all, well worth it :peace:

meanstrk
10-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Now that you mention it, I use to have a sticky 1-2 shift as well. Very frustrating when shifting while on one wheel. That's not an issue with mine anymore either!

The Tuono with this set up shifts much smoother than my Mille with Woodcraft rearsets.

Glad it worked out for ya!

tblade
10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
sure did, btw - I have the woodcraft rearsets on my T