PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Island Track Day this Monday

Exdukenut
05-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Anyone from Melbourne going? I'm 90% certain of being able to do it.

One more babysitter to arrange for the morning, and it'll be a goer to trailer the bike down.

Let me know, and I'll look forward to meeting up.

I've always wanted to ride the Island, and this looks like the best oportunity for a while to be able to do it.

:cool:

Exdukenut
05-24-2004, 03:54 PM
This track day is the 31st May, (next Monday)

Exdukenut
05-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Should also ask, what the regulars on Aprilia 1000's recommend for gearing at PI. I currently have 16/44.

This'll be the first time at PI for me, and I am really looking forward to the day. The long range forecast looks promising, but I know this can change quite dramatically. (Just like usual Melbourne/Victorian weather)!:D

Any advice on the circuit much appreciated.

AdamT
05-24-2004, 08:45 PM
... Unfortunately I won't be able to join you on the 31st.

Some tips for the newcomers to the Island.

The only "tricky" corners are the two slowest, Honda and MG. Honda is reasonably straight forward but comes after a long fast left hand sweeper, where you will need to wash off 150+ km/h of speed before getting around the tight right hander. This catches most people out at some stage during the day, even the really good riders (remember Alex Barros at PI a few years back?).

MG is a tight off camber right hand that comes after a steep decent after going over the Lukey Heights crest. Once again, this will catch you out, so go easy through there for the first couple of sessions till you get comfortable. You want to stay as far left and quick steer as late as possible for the best line through here. I use the ripple strip on the left hand side of the track as my guide. Where it ends is my turn in reference point.

The other "tricky" corner is turn 1. Most people brake or back off to go around it. I find all I need to do is blip the throttle, down shift and tip it in. You can carry a lot of speed through here, and is where I pass most riders. On my Factory, I see 250 - 260km/h down the straight. Speed is determined by the drive you get out of Turn 12 and if there is a head wind.

... and Finally, Turn 2, like Eastern Creek it is a dual apex tightening radius corner. It is no where near as tight as Turn 2 at the Creek, but it is very easy to run wide on the exit if you do not correct your line when halfway through the corner. The trick is to use your wide vision and continue to focus on the vanishing point of the track as you hook around the left hander.

If you like fast sweepers, then you will love Phillip Island ...
... Turn 12 onto the straight, Turn 1, Turn 3, Turn 8 (the Hayshed) are all flat out full crank sweepers, that will leave you grinning from ear to ear!

Have fun ... Hopefully the track is dry and the wind is not blowing.

Exdukenut
05-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks Adam. Sorry won't be able to make the ride on Sunday family committments (funeral) and all, even though I'll have my bike.

But can't wait to do the Island track.

AdamT
05-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Hopefully you will get weather like this!

... Pic taking going around Siberia last week in my "out" lap.

Exdukenut
05-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Yep big fingers crossed! How long does it take to get to the Island from Melbourne approx - 1 hour or thereabouts?

AdamT
05-24-2004, 09:04 PM
From Cranbourne it is 45-50 minutes to get to the track. Depending on what time you leave the city and where you are leaving from it should take 35-45 minutes to get to Cranbourne.

I assume you are riding? Or are you towing the bike? If you are riding you will need to fill up with fuel in San Remo or Cowes, so allow a couple of hours. I hate rushing down there. The first session will start at 9am sharp so plan on getting there just after 8am.

btw ... lunch is provided, you will get a decent cooked meal.

Exdukenut
05-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Tks for that info. I think I'll be able to get away by 6am. I'll be trailering the bike, and I'll be bringing a couple of 10ltr jerry cans with me. Can't remember the actual suburb, but it is about 10-15mins along the North Eastern Freeway, and chuck a left, then about a half km, just near the river and a golf course.

FORZA
05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
That turn2/sth. loop area was the place that really took some mastering for me. It kind of sneaks up really quickly and then its 'oh shit' as the corner continues to tighten. The rest I liked, especially 11 & 12.

I liked the track but would need to do a lot more laps to get comfortable. That isnt likely nowdays though.

Good luck with it Leigh.

Dave.

Exdukenut
05-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Adam, Dave, another quick question re PI. What tyre temps would you suggest? 30/31 F/R? I doubt it's going to be that warm. Should add that it's Diablo Corsa Front, and a Diablo rear.

Tks

(PS Can't wait!!!!:D )

AdamT
05-25-2004, 10:18 PM
I run Super Corsas. If it is cool and overcast I run 31/31 for the first session or two. Once the sun comes out or if it is a sunny day I run 30/30.

PI is much harder on tyres then Eastern Creek, especially the left hand side. 7 of the 12 corners are fast left hand corners.

Pro Backmarker
05-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by AdamT
... Unfortunately I won't be able to join you on the 31st.

Some tips for the newcomers to the Island.

The only "tricky" corners are the two slowest, Honda and MG. Honda is reasonably straight forward but comes after a long fast left hand sweeper, where you will need to wash off 150+ km/h of speed before getting around the tight right hander. This catches most people out at some stage during the day, even the really good riders (remember Alex Barros at PI a few years back?).

MG is a tight off camber right hand that comes after a steep decent after going over the Lukey Heights crest. Once again, this will catch you out, so go easy through there for the first couple of sessions till you get comfortable. You want to stay as far left and quick steer as late as possible for the best line through here. I use the ripple strip on the left hand side of the track as my guide. Where it ends is my turn in reference point.

The other "tricky" corner is turn 1. Most people brake or back off to go around it. I find all I need to do is blip the throttle, down shift and tip it in. You can carry a lot of speed through here, and is where I pass most riders. On my Factory, I see 250 - 260km/h down the straight. Speed is determined by the drive you get out of Turn 12 and if there is a head wind.

... and Finally, Turn 2, like Eastern Creek it is a dual apex tightening radius corner. It is no where near as tight as Turn 2 at the Creek, but it is very easy to run wide on the exit if you do not correct your line when halfway through the corner. The trick is to use your wide vision and continue to focus on the vanishing point of the track as you hook around the left hander.

If you like fast sweepers, then you will love Phillip Island ...
... Turn 12 onto the straight, Turn 1, Turn 3, Turn 8 (the Hayshed) are all flat out full crank sweepers, that will leave you grinning from ear to ear!

Have fun ... Hopefully the track is dry and the wind is not blowing.
Hmmm, I wouldn't agree about MG- to me it's got a positive camber, it's more the elevation change that makes it tricky (see pic below). I also find it's a corner that works on several lines, you can square off and shoot out and still be quick.
Honda is a good corner to practice pushing, as the runoff road can remain your backup, providing you stay wide.

Yeah, turn 1 does mess with the head a bit. You big guys would have to slow earlier, but for me on a proddie it's about 2 secs after the last braking marker where I shut off and shift down 1, tip in (wash speed off with the tyres) and wind the power back on..

Turn 2 and turn 9 are both slippery out wide, with a camber decrease that sucks you wider if you go there.

Here's a good clip of how Shannon Johnson does it (about a 1:50)-
http://www.mcnews.com.au/Video/2003/CBR600RR/cbr600rr.htm

Ohmygewd
05-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Hey Leigh,

Unfortunately l won't be able to make it to the Island either (may change my mind though if the craving gets to me). If you leave at 6 am, you'd get to the Island with plenty of time as the track doesn't open till 9:00 although get your bike scrutineered ASAP as the riders brief can be longwinded then it’s usually the fast group out first then medium and slow (they are kept back for further briefing). Although they can have the reserve, slow 1st, inters 2nd, fast 3rd .

16/44 gearing is fine! 20lt is sufficient and l alwayss have the tank half full when l ride around there, lightens it up a bit.

Conditions: Will be a cold track and, depending on what tyres you run, l usually have mine set at 32/30 (f/r). The wind can vary and usually changes due to the nature and position of the track close to the ocean. A good gauge on what the conditions will be like is to stare out at French Island just as you go over the rise heading to San Remo, look at the water for chop and that’s a great indications on wind direction and strength…. it is fluky though!

Track:
What can l say, take it easy and don’t push early! What group are you in?

As for advice
Approaching turn one: As you get past the bridge, keep on the gas and you will see two lines on the right hand side, these are the 150 markers and the 50mts further is the 100markers. With the engine braking of the twin, and you’re a first timer at the line, bob up at the 150 marker and drop down a gear. This should reduce your speed enough to tip into the corner don’t really need to hit the brakes but you can ‘touch’ them just to know their there.

As you tip into turn 1, try and get close to the ripple strip on your right (about 1 foot out) as the surface is fairly ripply due the cars and you’s find that it’s almost like a rut. Keep the throttle steady, not shut.

Approaching Southern Loop (T2): Drive hard out of turn 1 and then gear down 1 or 2 gears (4th or 3rd) and stick to the outside (RH) and late apex the corner. This corner is a double apex corner!!!
In Southern Loop (T2): Once you have tipped in to turn 3, you should see a change in surface around this corner, try and stick on or just outside this surface and apex T4 tight, enough to hit the scrapper over the ripple and drive hard out of the corner towards the ripple strip on the RH at the start of the straight.

Back Straight Approaching GIO (T3): Driving hard out of Southern Loop (up to 5th) and sticking to the outside, you’ll fast approach turn 3 or GIO. To set this up correctly, as you approach this corner, be sure to be mid track then tip in as 2-3 metres outside of Gio are very large ripples made by cars and chopping over this can upset (like a women on her periods) the suspension of the bike.

Approaching Honda (T4): Coming out of GIO, head the bike to the left of the track and brake around the 100mt mark (gearing down to 1st or 2nd), l tip in latethrough there and hug the corner…really whatever suits you.

Out of Honda to Siberia: Coming out of Honda, get on the gas early and drive to the ripple strip on the right then up a gear (2nd or 3rd) to the RHS before Siberia.

In and out of Siberia: Apex the ist corner of Siberia holding a tight line all the way around it then get on the gas as soon as you see the base of the foot bridge as you exit.

Out of Siberia to the Heyshed: Drive hard and up to 4th or 5th and hold to the LHS before tipping into T8 (ripply close to the ripple strip).

Heyshed to Lukey Heights: As you exit the corner, l tend to hold the gas before gearing down two (3rd) to my approach to Lukey Heights. Then hug the LH ripple strip as l go over the blind corner, focussing on the inside white line as its all horizon if you look up. Watch out for the bump midway through this corner!!!

Lukey Height into MG: As you come over Lukey and down into MG (tight RH), l tend to gas a bit before gearing down into 2nd gear, holding a wide line, late apexing the corner.

Out of MG to T11: Critical, as soon as you go around MG, hard on the gas and shift to 3rd (short shift if you are in 1st) and head to the RH ripple strip before T11, then tip into T11 and hold a tight line pass the end of the inside (LH) ripple before drifting to the RH ripple at the short straight, hard on the gas to 4th gear.

Into Turn 12: As you approach 12, stay on the RH side close to the ripple and (depending on how big you gonads are), turn in t12 as you just pass that RH ripple into 12, holding a close line to the inside ripple (LH) with a steady throttle before opening it up just as you begin to exit, heading to the RH ripple at the start on the main straight.

If you can nail the transition from MG to T11 and then into T12, you can take seconds off your lap times!!!!

It will take you a few sessions for this to make sense but, in short, just have fun and be as smooth as possible…..may see you there on Monday (if l can push the boss)????

OZSLR
05-26-2004, 06:09 AM
I've only ridden the island once, and that was on an inappropriate bike (the appropriate one had been sold after the cash paid for the day), but I've got a woodie just reading the accounts above :D

Shame you can't make Sundays ride ! Maybe next time.

Exdukenut
05-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks Ohmeygewd.

Very helpful stuff!

I'm in the medium group, as I'm not that shabby, a rider, but it will definately be steady as she goes for the first few sessions, till I've placed in the brain, all your info.

Maybe we'll see you!

OZ, yep sorry I can't make the ride, but I think that would be stretching the friendship with the wife!:p: ;)

TTYAS

Ohmygewd
05-26-2004, 07:03 PM
LoL, l hope l can tooo!!!!

If l could ride the way l wrote that piece (he spits in the air), l'd be a 1.45min and under rider!!!!!:p:

Anyway, that's what Glenn Allerton and Shannon Johnson told us on a track walk and the minute l started to visualise then use their pointers, my times started to fall and became a smoother rider..

Never been to the Creek (possible will in Spring) but the Island rewards a smooth rider!!!

Jay

Exdukenut
05-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Ohmy, "Smooth" is my middle name! And not just in riding!:D :D :D :p: :p: :p:

Oh and the caravan is always available for a base if you need for a few days.

OZSLR
05-26-2004, 08:36 PM
:D Never abuse the priviledge of having a motorcycling compassionate wife/partner. I am blessed with one and always keep the balance.

If the weather is good, you are going to have an absolute ball. Try and keep your eyes on the track though as you peak over the straight towards turn 1. The view is magnificent. The double Apex of turns 2 and 3, got me as my entry speeds lifted and I kept extending my brake markers.

Oh and watch out for wildlife too. Thier is a Monster Hare that lives there and he'd sit right near the track. Another guy hit a seagull while flat down the main straight.

Have a great day you bastard !

Exdukenut
05-26-2004, 10:18 PM
When PI is wet, what sort of traction can I expect? Are some of the corners pretty greasy, (ala turn 7 on the inside of the corner at Eastern Creek), catches lots of riders in the wet, on ride days if you don't stay out about 3-4 feet minimum, with front end washouts mostly.

AdamT
05-26-2004, 11:34 PM
I find MG can be slippery even when reasonably dry. In the wet I would be very cautious. The other corner that is slippery in the wet is Siberia. If it is p!ssing down rain, then the grip is not as bad as if it is drizzling and the water sits on top of the rubber, making the track greazy.

The other problem with PI is who has been on the track earlier in the week. I was there last week, and they had a car club there a few days earlier and you could see the cement patches where they had to clean up oil left on the track.

Exdukenut
05-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Tks everyone for your tips!

I'm sure it'll be a blast no matter what.

BIG FINGERS CROSSED for the weather!;)

Fox
05-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Hey Leigh! Have a great time, please post some pix. NSW roads will be quieter for your absence :D

Ohmygewd
05-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Well....l could not help but be hospitiable so l've booked in to do the track day on Monday the 31st.

Leigh...thanks for the excuse and l'll be seeing you bright and earlier!!!:D