PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Change

TheBuilder
09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
What's the easiest way to drain the coolant in these bikes. I need to put WaterWetter in for a track day but not sure of the best or easiest way to do it. Appreciate any tips!

Mike Meyer
09-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Many automotive places use specialized tool involving canisters, air pressures and vacuum sources to completely replace all fluid(coolant) with another(water wetter). The reason they use these is to avoid what's called an air pocket inside of your engine's tiny orifices. These air pockets are dangerous because they could lead to hot spots, steam, and insufficient coolant levels. I have used these tools (big tank with air chuck and valve) for almost every kind of fluid. They work great, there's a shop near you that has one, our bikes are super easy to use it with, and they won't charge you very much at all plus it beats the hell out of trying to "burp" your coolant system.
Just my 2 cents.

TheBuilder
09-17-2013, 09:27 PM
So it seems the easiest way was to just pull the rad hose off at the water pump. Drains pretty much everything out. Filled it with water once more drained it again and that was it. Pop the hose back on and filled it again with some distiller water and some water wetter and its ready to go.

lanter
09-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Don't have to burp it ? I'm gonna change mine soon and was wondering if its that easy.

TheBuilder
09-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Didn't seem to need to burp it at all. Went for a couple rides since and seems good.