PDA

View Full Version : Replace the Clutchlever

menkee
09-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Hi
May you can help me befor I destroy my original clutchlever. I would like to fit some shorter ones, which I used for my Falco. I can remove the lever from the handlebar, but when I try to get the dowel (hope it`s the right word) away from the lever I have no chance. It looks like it`s screwed in and on the other side there is a screw which is impossible to remove. On the german Forum they say, to warm the screw, cause it is affixed. So I tried to make it hot with a lighter, but this is not working as well. So the Screw look damaged now. So any idea how I can get this damn dowel off the lever? Or may you can give me a link where I can order this piece. Unfortunately I don`t know the exact name of it, so it`s very difficult to find something. Can someone help me?

twistyrider
09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
The dowel is actually the plunger rod that creates the pressure in the clutch master cylinder. It is held in position by a small allen-head set screw (maybe 2mm?). This is what you have to heat up to loosen. It may take more heat than a lighter. I held mine in the flame of my gas stove. Once you've backed out the set screw, the plunger has a flat blade tip that you unscrew to remove from the clutch lever housing. If you have boogered up the head, it will be harder to remove from the housing. You may be able to twist it out by gripping the shaft with pliers and twisting it out--but you must be careful not to damage the shaft with the pliers. Hope that helps.

ChattyTuono
09-07-2013, 07:21 PM
What do you mean by damaged? By the flame of the lighter? It might become discolored, but it will certainly not be damaged by heat. An electric heat gun or something similar will be needed to break the Loctite used on the screw.

menkee
09-09-2013, 03:24 AM
I went to the dealer and get a new dowel.....anything is done now, thx anyway.