PDA

View Full Version : Pre tension the contra spring?

justo316
05-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I want to try using the Red contra spring, but it's just too much money to waste at the moment. I have the Yellow at the moment.

I was thinking, is it alright to just find some washers that I can use to pre tension my yellow spring? I thought this would give me an indication as to whether a red (stiffer) spring would be beneficial for me.

TiminIndy
05-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Hell, you have a scooter that costs $4,990 AUD --the springs are only $17 USD ($24 AUD).:WTF:

justo316
05-23-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by TiminIndy
Hell, you have a scooter that costs $4,990 AUD --the springs are only $17 USD ($24 AUD).:WTF:

Yeah, but it'll cost about 40 bux including postage and I'll have to wait 2 weeks to try it.

Besides, I am a starving student so that 40bux could be much better spent elsewhere.

NeoGeniX
05-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Red? No way...red is only suitable for bike's with big bore kits and lots of torque. Not for derestricted ditech's save your money and keep the yellow one.

justo316
05-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Im not so sure. The only problem with running a red spring is that it might be too stiff to be able to hit a good top speed. However I think with heavier weights, it could work nicely.

Basically, I want better performance up hills. The yellow is leaps and bounds better over the white and stock, but I think there is still room for improvement.

That is why I just want to try adding a couple washers to the yellow spring to see if a stiffer setup works better/worse/same.

TiminIndy
05-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Does the adjustable clutch basically let you set the clutch to engage at multiple settings in between what the 4 springs allow for? (In between yellow & red, or in between white & stock)

I know that would be a lot more expensive than some washers though--who knows, maybe the washers would work.

justo316
05-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Dude....I have no idea what you just said....what adjuxtable clutch, what springs are you talking about??

The clutch springs are different from the contra spring, which is what I am talking about.

apriliabigbore
05-23-2004, 10:13 AM
The "pretension" topic is the same idea as adding prelaod to your fork or shock on a "real motorcyle".:D

What it will do is increase the amount of effort to initially deflect the spring, but the spring rate will still be the same. No amount of preload/pretension will change the spring rate, so it isn't the same as going to the heavier (red) spring, but maybe you will find a better answer than the yellow OR the red spring! Try it and let us know what you find! I would think that it would keep the bike in the lower gear longer and then after the additional preload is balanced by the increased rpm it would start to act like a normal/stock spring.

boyaani
05-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Ernest Hemingway was an over-weight homosexual alchoholic

apriliabigbore
05-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Didn't know that...but he still has the right idea about a sport vs a game.

TiminIndy
05-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by justo316
Dude....I have no idea what you just said....what adjuxtable clutch, what springs are you talking about??

The clutch springs are different from the contra spring, which is what I am talking about.

Polini makes the adjustable 'Polini Speed Clutch' (with two shoes), and Malossi makes the 'Malossi Delta Racing Adjustable Clutch' . What I was wondering was whether the adjustments make it possible to engage the clutch at multiple settings, rather than just having four contra springs to try (White, stock, Yellow, & Red)

(I thought scootnfast had said that one of the aftermarket clutches wasn't adjustable, but both the Polini & the Malossi say they are adjustable??)

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1263

Do you understand now, dude?

TiminIndy
05-24-2004, 10:53 AM
[B]"Motor racing, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports. All the rest are children's games played by adults." - Ernest Hemingway[B]

What about boxing?

NeoGeniX
05-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Pretty weird that the speedclutch is so expensive when its a lot crappier than the delta clutch. Delta clutches are one of the best outthere...

I don't think that's a speedclutch btw..I have one and it has 3 shoes. That polini one looks like a 2g wich sux ass.

justo316
05-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by TiminIndy
Polini makes the adjustable 'Polini Speed Clutch' (with two shoes), and Malossi makes the 'Malossi Delta Racing Adjustable Clutch' . What I was wondering was whether the adjustments make it possible to engage the clutch at multiple settings, rather than just having four contra springs to try (White, stock, Yellow, & Red)

Do you understand now, dude?

Yes, adjustments to the clutch enable you to tune at what rpm it engages.

However, I don't know what this has to do with my topic?

Basically you want the clutch to engage prior to your bike hitting max torque. This has nothing to do with contra springs.

TiminIndy
05-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by justo316
Yes, adjustments to the clutch enable you to tune at what rpm it engages.

However, I don't know what this has to do with my topic?

Basically you want the clutch to engage prior to your bike hitting max torque. This has nothing to do with contra springs.

I guess I'm confused, I thought using different contra springs also forces it to engage at different RPM's.

scootnfast
05-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Contra springs have nothing to do with your clutch... The contra spring works on your rear pully which is the second half of your vario transmission... The clutch is what engages the vario drive transmission to the rear wheel.

Now having gotten that cleared up, I have a polini speed clutch, and I love it... Yes it only has 2 pads on it, but they are large pads. The clutch I refered to as a piece of shi* was the top performance clutch. There is no fine tunning adjustment on it... It is just like the stock clutch. You have to change clutch springs in order to change tension on the clutch.

I am not sure about the malossi delta clutch, but I am very happy with my polini clutch.

apriliabigbore
05-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Boxing is something alright, but sport? Maybe for those watching...