PDA

View Full Version : little ticking noise coming from rear axle

tuono331
09-01-2013, 04:11 PM
So I just put on my new sprocket. On the rear. Everything went fairly well re-lubed everything after cleaning with detergent. The sprocket is facing with the lipped side out. The spacers are set correctly. The rear brake setup is where it should be. But, when I spin the wheel there is a slight ticking noise in a certain part of the wheel spin. I would assume I just got some crap in the there when I was putting the axle bolt back in or something. The wheel still spins fine, it doesn't slow the wheel spin or anything. The bike runs great, the new gearing is amazing. I am still riding it. Any comments suggestions. I really don't want to take the wheel out again because it is a huge pain in ass. I already tried to find it but couldn't. Any suggestions are welcomed, or just someone to tell me to forget about so I don't feel so bad.

bl0ke
09-01-2013, 04:58 PM
spacing tube between the bearings? disc on the pads?

tuono331
09-01-2013, 07:19 PM
the rear brake is good. it could def. be the spacer tube. Not sure what to do with that. Maybe slop some grease on the outside edge of the tube from the little holes that you can look into from the rim itself. Or maybe just say screw it. it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I just can't stand the little noise. It's like a mosquito bite.

kzmille
09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
The sprocket drive pins will often creak if they are not greased. You need to remove the rear wheel and then grab hold of the sprocket and pull the whole assembly straight out from the wheel. Grease the pins and inside the steel lined bushings every time you have the wheel off. It doesn't take much. Use waterproof grease.

tuono331
09-01-2013, 07:45 PM
yea I actually did put grease on the tube part of the or the pins as you call them. however that is what I figured it was. I don't think I cleaned out the steel bushing part tho. I think I just wiped the pins off and then I noticed some of the bushings where set a little lower in the hole so I made sure they where all the way down and didn't clean them. Gave the pins a little grease but I think that is probably the right answer. when I took the wheel off the second time that's what I was looking at but it looked good. is it anything to horrible. I mean there is grease on them just not much.

kzmille
09-01-2013, 10:39 PM
The worst thing it could be is a wheel or sprocket holder bearing. Can't see any way the spacer tube could be to blame. You haven't said what year your bike is or how many miles are on it. Unless you leave your bike out in the pouring rain all the time or blast it carelessly with a pressure washer I wouldn't think the bearings are a likely cause. I don't even know which wheels you have. If they are cast then the cush drive housing is bolted to the wheel. These too can creak if the bolts are not torques to spec and Loctited. If they are forged it is one piece so no worries there. The thing is if it is bearings of the drive housing bolts is is serious and needs to be sorted. If it's the pins and bushings it's not serious and can be fixed with a little cleaning and grease.

If you are having such a difficult time removing the wheel you must not be doing it correctly. Find a block of wood the right height to put under the wheel to support it while fiddling with the chain and brake. You don't have to mess with the chain adjusters or caliper bolts. One nut, axle out, fish the caliper and bracket out in one piece, peel the chain off, and pull the wheel. Reverse to install.

tuono331
09-02-2013, 07:29 AM
my t is 2009 1000 r. A little under 6,000 miles. I believe the wheels are cast because they are the oem wheels. I never leave it in the rain and I always hand wash no powerwash. The cush drive bolts where never touched and it didn't do this before I changed my sprocket out. and the bearings to the drive housing bolts are what and where exactly. And as to taking the wheel off, yes I am sure I am not doing it right. I get wood under there but trying to get that goddamn caliper bracket out and in is retarded. I am absolutely a amateur, but I like to do my own stuff, it's the only way. And it didn't make this noise at all before so I can't see how it could be a bearing, I wasn't that ruff with it. And KZ thank you. every problem I have posted you have helped with, and for that I want to thank you.

kzmille
09-02-2013, 09:41 AM
With the cast wheels the housing with the cush bushings in it is bolted to the wheel. No bearings in this housing. Two in the wheel and two in the sprocket carrier. On the older models with Brembo wheels there was some history of the bolts loosening and causing sounds. They were not Loctited from the factory. I recommend pulling them out applying blue Loctite, and torquing to 36 ftlb.

While you have it apart clean the ID of the bushings and the pins and grease both lightly with some waterproof grease.

All that being said, the chain can cause some clicking sounds as well, especially if it is too tight.

tuono331
09-02-2013, 11:06 AM
ok. yea the chain is adjusted right. it does make some noise, but this noise is different. I will go ahead with that info and grease the pins and bushings and Loctite the bolts.

bull*ramus
09-03-2013, 04:40 PM
My 5k '09 RSV does exactly the same thing.

Three little clicks at the same point in rotation, everything's in right and everything's greased.

Its possibly because the previous owner rather helpfully blasted the shit out of the bearings with a pressure washer.

Although this is complicated by the fact my Renthal rear sprocket seems to be slightly eccentric which does tighten the chain, so it could be either.

As I have new wheels, bearings, sprocket carrier bearings and sprocket to go on I'll probably never know.

Incidentally, how on earth do those bushes that sit over the sprocket carrier bearings come out?

kzmille
09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Do you mean no. 12? They are just a light press fit into the bearing inner race. One is captive between the bearings.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/prodimages/st2/table_38-70.jpg

tuono331
09-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Yea thankfully all I hear while riding is the purrrrrrrr of her. so, I'll lube and grease and all that but besides that she is perfect so I guess a little click isn't much to complain about. and yea it's funny that I have the same number of creaks in one spot as you do bull. there always has to be something I guess.

bull*ramus
09-04-2013, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=kzmille;3465009]Do you mean no. 12? They are just a light press fit into the bearing inner race. One is captive between the bearings.

Yeah, thats them...looks fairly obvious now I've looked at that diagram...

bull*ramus
09-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Yea thankfully all I hear while riding is the purrrrrrrr of her. so, I'll lube and grease and all that but besides that she is perfect so I guess a little click isn't much to complain about. and yea it's funny that I have the same number of creaks in one spot as you do bull. there always has to be something I guess.

I'm thinking its my egg shaped sprocket, I know the wheels bearings are ok, the sprocket carrier bearing has a very feint notch in it, but not enough for that I don't think, and everything else has been in and out countless times and checked, I would still do what I did and mark your sprocket where its ticking and check the chain tension, mine only tighten's up very briefly and then its slack again for the rest of the rotation, anyway, sorry for the slight thread hijack.

tuono331
09-04-2013, 04:07 PM
no worries any help is good. and when I do my oil change (just got my oil and filter and rings) i'll lube up the pins and stuff. But, for now the chain and everything is perfect so I just am enjoying my new sprocket. I live in Vermont so everyone has kawi's and Hondas so im just about untouchable around here. and there is def. no tuono v4's I have to worry about blowing by me. good luck. please post final outcome.

tuono331
09-15-2013, 05:43 PM
So, my final outcome was great. KZ nailed it with his prediction. lubed the hell out of the little bearings and the pins on the sprocket housing and the creak went away. Thank you again KZ for helping me out again.

kzmille
09-15-2013, 06:33 PM
You are welcome.