PDA

View Full Version : Engine turns off while riding?

melee
08-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Howdy all,

Scary moment today on my 3 month old DD - was riding on the freeway when the engine just cut out completely. Bike still had power, but wouldn't let me start again until I honked the horn - then it immediately started back up. Happened four or five times on the way home. I have an appointment with the dealer for Thursday but was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it might be? I'm fearful I might have a lemon.

Mr.Dorso
08-24-2013, 06:04 PM
I did once, then realised I hit the off button :crowbar: hitting the horn made it start again? weird... sounds like gremlins in the electrics - good luck with it, let us know how u go

melee
08-25-2013, 02:24 PM
I did once, then realised I hit the off button :crowbar: hitting the horn made it start again? weird... sounds like gremlins in the electrics - good luck with it, let us know how u go

Haha, I've had similar issues with my bikes... Usually when I stop and don't remember that I clicked in the off button. But I tried cycling the kill switch, turning the whole thing on/off again, different key, pretty much everything - no luck. We'll see on Thursday, I guess.. I haven't had a lot of time to get familiar with the bike :(

Mr.Dorso
08-26-2013, 06:25 PM
haha i did it whilst riding, leant down to turn on the gopro which was hanging from the radiator bolt, and my helmet hit the off switch! I was thinking 'huh? how does turning my gopro on turn the bike off?' then realised what I'd done..! Good luck with it, hope it gets sorted for you

Mike Meyer
08-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Seems like my bike really forces me to wait till its done initializing when I first turn the key on. Ill have to video this later but basically. If I turn the key on then immediately start it up it loses power then drops rpm till it won't run anymore and shuts down. Then all I do is turn off. Wait. Turn back on and wait. Then proceed after all that startup process finishes and it'll run like its supposed to. I just thought its weird that I gotta let it finish the startup damn near every time I cold start.

Mr.Dorso
08-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Sounds weird, it's like some sensor is faulty... Will be good to see video, I had a similar thing not too long ago, when I started it just didn't want to run and if i didn't twist the throttle it would go low in revs and cut out & was very low on power no punch at all. Service tech's found demand sensor & o2 sensor were faulty and all plugs had been fouled.

melee
09-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Service station says there's a fault with the starter (duh) but they're waiting for Aprilia to get back to them on how to fix it. Not looking good!

melee
09-18-2013, 05:53 PM
It has been at the shop for 3 weeks now! Afraid I won't be getting it back at this point.