PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Servo Motor

KiwiNinja69
08-22-2013, 07:32 AM
I've been having an issue lately with the EFI warning light coming on, but it wasn't cutting power as it should. So dropped the bike in yesterday and turns out the exhaust servo motor is stuffed. So waiting for a new one to arrive early next week. Not even 2000km on the clock. At least it's under warranty.

nisbeam
08-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Interesting, sorry to hear that. This was sometimes an issue on Yamaha Fazer 1000 (I ran one for 73,000 miles). It was usually caused by the valve itself sticking. The best practice was to regularly clean and rebuild with some copper grease to keep it running smoothly. I haven't tried to dismantle the one on the Capo yet but may be worth a look now.

Markprend
02-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Im having the same issue with the red warning light with EFI displayed down the bottom. Oil is OK. It was during a full days riding. When you turn the ignition on, without starting it, when still hot, it makes a strange noise behind the front wheel in the black box at the bottom. This is apart from the normal noises. It sounds like an electrical noise.

The last time it happened is when I had the issue with the oil air box leak.

The next day during a 400k trip, no light, no noise.

Could it be the same thing?

KiwiNinja69
02-16-2014, 08:56 PM
It could be, but I never noticed additional noises. Problem seemed to right itself, it lasted for a few days on and off and I haven't add an issue since.

I was talking with my dealer about it the other day cause I still hadn't seen the new one yet. They rang JSG to see where is was and cause they couldn't still see the fault or replicate it they wont send it. So I made them make a note on my account so if it happens again out of warranty there is a record of it.

ChrisHall
02-17-2014, 05:59 AM
The "box" behind the front wheel houses the ABS unit

freakdt
06-22-2014, 03:58 AM
Hello, I have the some problem, I put on my 2013 Caponord GPR exhaust and this red triangle and EFI keeps on turninhg on anf off. The Aprilia dealer put it on diagnostics and the warning came from the servo motor. Do you guys aleady know how the solve this issue?
Thanks
Daniel

ChrisHall
06-22-2014, 06:08 AM
I've been working with HealTech on an exhaust servo eliminator. Still work progress at the moment

keithc
06-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I have this problem as well. Mine is due to the cables to the exhaust valve snapping of after 3000 miles. Light and efi warning comes on, then after a while goes out again, then come on again. Its a bit of a cycle. Looking at phoning the dealer next week to get this and the air box mod etc sorted out.
I will keep you informed on how Wheels deal with this and the `notchy steering head bearings' comment on its lat visit.

Keith C

keithc
06-24-2014, 02:12 PM
OK the bike is booked in for the 9th and 10th of July. Not to far into the furture and I can stil use the bike OK. Bike is booked in for
6000 mile service (should be around 200 or there abouts, if its much more I wil ask why)
Air box mod
New cables for exhaust valve
Look at oil leak (I think from rear cylinder cam cover, but its very light, little more than a mist, no oil under bike after 10 days)
Steering head bearings if Aprilia OK repair under warentee (I have told the dealer that I wont pay them to do this work and if its not done under warrenttee I wil look at going to small claims court to get any monies paid back)
Loan bike for both days

Ketih C

DodgyGeezer
06-25-2014, 05:06 PM
What dealer keithc?

keithc
06-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Wheel of Peterbourough. No dificulties yet but I wil post if their any problems. Conversly I wil also post if they give good service.

Keith C

keithc
06-27-2014, 11:44 AM
I am disappointed with Aprilia UK, apparently they `don’t get many steering head bearing failures on their bikes' so want to see the old bearings before they wil authorise a warrantee claim. So as far as they are concerned they want me to have my bike off of the road for at least a week and do two 240 mile round trips to the dealer so they can authorise the replacement of a part that costs maybe 40 and about 1-2 hours labour. Not having failures is rubbish too, my 750 Dorsoduro has 25,000 miles on the clock and is on its 3rd set (and no I don’t do wheelies, when I try I normally fall off :) ).
Anyway Wheels have bit the bullet and are replacing the bearings anyway when the bike goes in for other work in two weeks time. They also say no matter what they will do the work FOC, so that’s a great result and shows they have great after sales service.

Keith C

ChrisHall
06-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Palmers Hemel Hempstead have dropped the Piaggio franchise because they weren't getting the support from Italy

keithc
06-28-2014, 04:34 AM
I must admit that the dealer I purchased my last 2 Aprilia's from, Motts of Basingstoke, did the same back in 2010. When asked at the last 3 bike shows Aprilia UK assured me that this had now improved, but it appears not.
So it maybe that only the larger dealerships, with large sales will have sufficient clout to deal with Arrilia and the rest od the group.
All I can do though is report on how I find the dealers I deal with on here, not other dealers as that's not really being fair on them.

Keith C

dadsafrantic
07-03-2014, 09:51 PM
i had issues when i had the arrow exhaust installed. i tried to do it myself but found the cables more than my skills and time would allow. the ape store did the install of the arrow pipe and said that that always leave the exhaust valve disconnected on the v4 bikes and that it should be the same for this bike.

not. i had the red light efi thing for a couple of days. then i guess the ecu was thinking it had figured out the issue but it was still looking for the exhaust valve to be working. i had stalls and other problems. the cables have since been installed and the bike is quiet but flawless.

Bryannagirl
07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Odd so many want to get rid of the valve I kind of like it. Quite when tooling around and when at crusing speed but barks nice and loud when I am ready for some more spirited riding. - kind of Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde when it comes to sound.

Capo9
07-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Agree 100%.

morganoh
07-08-2014, 08:25 PM
May I know when will the valve open? At what rpm?

ChrisHall
07-09-2014, 06:28 AM
I reckon it opens about 5000-6000 rpm (it's not easy to tell!). It opens in neutral

morganoh
07-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Any one knows how to set the valve permanently open?
Is there going to be any harm if its open all the way

nisbeam
07-09-2014, 01:22 PM
It should be possible to adjust the cables to that it opens at the correct revs, this is certainly the way with the Yamaha EXUP valve, a similar system. It's good to set it so that it starts to open earlier on Yams, but don't know how that would work on the Capo

ChrisHall
07-09-2014, 04:59 PM
The Exup valve was used to tune the exhaust header length to optimise torque at different revs.
The Capo valve is purely there for noise control.

It is possible to tell the ECU to ignore the signals from the motor, therefore it can be disconnected and no error will show up. Rexxer have done this for the RSV4, but not found the correct address for the Capo.

Heal-tech are getting close to launching a Exhaust Servo Eliminator, next month or so possibly

keithc
07-10-2014, 10:36 AM
OK got my bike back today and no real problems at all.
I dropped the bike of yesterday and after a bit of a ride around yesterday and today on the loan bike, A Kawasaki Versys 650 (not the most inspiring bike in the world I admit) managing to tot up around 250 miles on it.
I received a call late yesterday letting me know that the dealer who diagnosed the oil leak as coming from the cam cover gasket was wrong. A breather pipe on the cam cover had been incorrectly installed and the technician had carried out a repair, and if it should happen again they will order a kit of bits to rectify it. After having the repair I am happy for now. I will have to wait and see what happens but I do have faith in the technician who works on my bike. New cables were also fitted to the exhaust valve as requested and under warrantee.
The tech also showed me the previous update to the air box breather and it is similar to what others have had done, its just the valve is tucked away nicely and I could not see it.
The steering head bearings were changed and I got to look at them. They were greased (surprisingly) by the factory but I was surprised to see that they are ball races bearings rather than the expected taper roller bearings.
Finally the service. This was done at the previously quoted 200 and included oil and filter. They also changed the dirty oil in the clutch and brake reservoirs.
Only detail was a few oily hand prints on the bike in places. Not to bad but spoilt that would have been a perfect customer experience.
So in all I think a score of 9 out of 10 reflects the works carried out and the value for money bearing in mind they are a main dealer and charge accordingly.

Keith C

DodgyGeezer
07-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Glad to hear you're happy with them, I take it that's Wheels?

keithc
07-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Yep. The impression I get is that they want to give good service and will do the best they can to get possible repeat custom.

Keith C.

Steve-Oh!
07-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Odd so many want to get rid of the valve I kind of like it. Quite when tooling around and when at crusing speed but barks nice and loud when I am ready for some more spirited riding. - kind of Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde when it comes to sound.

+1 . . . If I forget how BIG the exhaust is, I LOVE the sound for a standard exhaust, when I'm out in the hills "having a go". :banana: