PDA

View Full Version : How to remove fuel tank

nisbeam
08-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Has anyone done this yet? I need remove the tank first so I can get the air box off. I have a manual but I get to the bit where I remove the 2 nuts at the front, but it then goes on to remove the overflow pipes. But can you lift up the tank safely after removing the 2 nuts, or does anything else need to get undone first. And where are the pipes, and where is the pump etc. does it all become obvious when I lift the tank up ? The pictures aren't much help. All advice gratefully received. Thanks.

ChrisHall
08-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Good question.

I'd also like to know if the fuel hose has a quick release connector where it joins the fuel pump. From the service manual it looks like it might have. If not, The fuel hose (and others) appear to have "Clic"/"Clic-R" hose clamps which will need the required type of pliers to remove them :(

nisbeam
08-21-2013, 05:04 AM
Well I'll find out at the weekend. I have 2 O2 optimizers to fit so need to get under the air box. I gave up last night as I ran out of time & had to put it all back together again. Will post up my results (hopefully !!).

ChrisHall
08-21-2013, 06:46 AM
I have 2 O2 optimizers to fit so need to get under the air box..

Yes, me too!

nisbeam
08-21-2013, 08:25 AM
My initial concern is what to do after removing the 2 nuts at the front of the tank. The manual seems to suggest just lift it up to get to whatever you need underneath (the overflow pipes), but I was wary as it did not seem to want to lift & I didn't want to cause any damage by using force. I'll have more time to look at the weekend, but I was just wondering if anyone here had done it already, I may be worrying unnecessarily.

Globalone
08-22-2013, 07:31 AM
I will put some photos on later.
Run tank as dry as you can to aid handling.
Take off seats and under trays.
Take off the two sides and the front of the two lower panels.
Remove the cross brace.
Remove two front bolts.
Remove two rear bolts (look in from rear wheel space).
Unplug the sensor on the top right of the tank.
Remove two pipes on the tank wings (tank can be lifted a bit to gain access use pliers or fingers).
Undo handle bar clamp and push bars forward.
Unclip rear suspention resovoir and move rearwards DO NOT DISCONNECT.
Unclip fuel tank connector from rear No need to remove pipe or take off round tank cover.
Lift front of tank.
And twist round out of the way see photo [url]http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?273017-Caponord-1200-Photo-GalleryDone

from memory whilst at work Edited after some prompting

nisbeam
08-22-2013, 01:45 PM
I found removing the side panels and tray covering the battery were also necessary to get to the fuel pump. Do you need an special tools to undo the clamps holding the 2 overflow pipes on - and same clamp thing on the fuel pump. But even after all this it looks like a tight fit, are there any other components that need to be removed out of the way. Thanks for your help, really looking forward to getting this done.

Globalone
08-23-2013, 02:38 AM
I found removing the side panels and tray covering the battery were also necessary to get to the fuel pump. Do you need an special tools to undo the clamps holding the 2 overflow pipes on - and same clamp thing on the fuel pump. But even after all this it looks like a tight fit, are there any other components that need to be removed out of the way. Thanks for your help, really looking forward to getting this done.It was about 3 months ago I removed the tank, so it was done from memory and I was using a phone to write it. I assumed you would have the seats and trays off to gain access. Assume == Ass out of you and meI just lifted the tank a bit and used fingers (or pliers if you want) on the two rubber vent linesI left my black side panels on see photo http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?273017-Caponord-1200-Photo-GalleryIt also shows the pipe still attached to the tank but you do need to disconnect the electrical connector Ignore the red and black wire that is my lead to the front so will not be on your bikeI have modified the post to show the additional points

nisbeam
08-23-2013, 06:15 AM
I see. So with those 2 pipes detached you just lifted the tank and swiveled it around to rest pointing backwards, no need to detach the fuel line. Makes sense :rolleyes:. Thanks for the info.

Globalone
08-23-2013, 10:47 AM

KiwiNinja69
08-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi Nisbeam, I have a copy of the the service manual in PDF if you would like a copy, its shows the complete breakdown to remove the tank. PM me if you would like it, or anyone else for that matter.

nisbeam
08-27-2013, 03:43 AM
That's great, thanks for your help, PM on it's way soon

pmcode69
11-04-2013, 12:21 AM
very much appreciated - patrick

fredaroony
11-04-2013, 02:53 AM
very much appreciated - patrick

You might be better off asking in the Dorso 750 forum.

nisbeam
11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
In case it's any help, here's how I did it, see attached file in this link, just ignore the bit about the Optimizers..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82920844/Motocorsaro%20O2%20Optimisers%20-%20Fitting%20instructions%20for%20Caponord%201200. docx

Nolz
11-05-2013, 04:28 AM
nisbeam, Those instructions are bloody fantastic. Thanks a heap for putting that up. The job doesn't seem anywhere near as complicated anymore.

nisbeam
11-05-2013, 08:25 AM
It's pretty straightforward. The only difficult bit is getting the rear of the tank out & in again so you can swivel it around. It's a tight fit and I found it helps to lift the front of the tank up at an angle to help. Cheers.

mittymax
04-09-2014, 04:00 PM
KiwiNinja69,
just picked my bike up, serial no. 000093, pgh.,pa. u.s.a., and would like a pdf of the manual. i have a translation that is junk that lAprillia gives to us bike owners, spent 2 hours on phone with no avail with Aprillia usa.
TIA,
Hubert "Max" Maxwell
mittymax@verizon.net

fredaroony
04-09-2014, 04:03 PM
KiwiNinja69,
just picked my bike up, serial no. 000093, pgh.,pa. u.s.a., and would like a pdf of the manual. i have a translation that is junk that lAprillia gives to us bike owners, spent 2 hours on phone with no avail with Aprillia usa.
TIA,
Hubert "Max" Maxwell
mittymax@verizon.net

Check your PM

Globalone
04-11-2014, 03:33 AM
Which manual ?

Owners or Workshop.

KiwiNinja69,
TIA,
Hubert "Max" Maxwell
mittymax@verizon.net

mittymax
04-12-2014, 10:29 AM
got it, thanks,Fredaroony and Globalone

BrisbaNord
06-14-2016, 02:52 AM
hey Burty99 - here's the thread on how to remove the fuel tank - see the link at nisbeam's post on 11 - 5 -2013 for the PDF with pictures (bottom of page 1 - titled "here's how I did it")......well worth a read before attempting the job!

Burty99
06-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Easy peasy!:lol:

BrisbaNord
11-17-2016, 02:56 AM
Here's the thread.......just so it's at the top of the list.......I had trouble finding it, couldn't locate it in advanced search......ended up looking back from the beginning.:rolleyes::aussie:

sacg
03-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Please active the link ,its not working.

dadsafrantic
03-22-2019, 07:15 PM
In case it's any help, here's how I did it, see attached file in this link, just ignore the bit about the Optimizers..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82920844/Motocorsaro%20O2%20Optimisers%20-%20Fitting%20instructions%20for%20Caponord%201200. docx

hey nisbeam. you dropbox is empty. any new location for the file?

Gavman
03-23-2019, 01:58 PM
hey nisbeam. you dropbox is empty. any new location for the file?

Nisbeam hasn't posted on here since he sold his Capo in 2015 so I don't think those links will ever work or be activated again. Co-incidentally I think I now have Nisbeam's old Capo, 2013 TP in red and now with 43000 miles on the clock that I purchased last year, service manual seems to confirm its his old bike. Can't say I experience any of the issues he had when he had the bike, perhaps the next owner sorted it out? They also put on a nice custom fit Akrapovic can and it sounds awesome. Took it to Germany last year with no problems (other than the Akra can partially melted the base of one of the panniers! bit too close and I was probably a bit too fast for too long!!), Going to Berchtesgarten in June on her which is 800+ miles so may post some pics then.

dadsafrantic
03-23-2019, 08:53 PM
nice. i'll figure it out. i've got about 86k miles. i'm going to pull all the plastic and clean the bike. new plugs and fluids and anything else like also fork seals. then another 86k.