PDA

View Full Version : Partially seized rear axle

ChrisHall
08-15-2013, 08:04 AM
I had a new rear tyre fitted this week @ 4200 miles. The rear axle did not want to silde out by hand and requiried a whack with a mallet. On inspection there was a small patch of corrosion on the lhs brearing and on the axle. The bike has not been used in the rain, only washed with a garden hose. The corrosion had taken hold because the axle was completely dry! Not the slightest trace of oil or grease! I cleaned it up and greased it properly As a precaution, I took the front axle out, and that was dry as well, fortunately no corrosion.

Given my experience I recommend removing the axles and greasing them even if you don't need new tyres. This will make life easier when you do.

Cheers
Chris

nisbeam
08-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks for this, mine was also wet but did have a little grease, so I cleaned up and re-greased when I swapped it around to put the nut on the left. Didn't think of the front, I'll check at the weekend.

ChrisHall
08-16-2013, 04:52 AM
I swapped it around

The service manual shows it with the nut on the left, but all bikes I've seen so far have the nut on the right. Dunno whether it matters?

nisbeam
08-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Mine was on the right so I swapped it to the left, it make chain adjustment easier.