PDA

View Full Version : high speed instability

beeney
08-08-2013, 08:40 AM
hi,
my bike starts to weave through the bars at high speeds on a private road,tyres at recommended pressures,screen set high,rider upright and crouched,no panniers.it gets bad enough to make you back off from going any faster.my tiger 1050 was very stable flat out and was able to go about another 5 mph faster than the caponord.anyone else experience this or is it just my bike?

nisbeam
08-08-2013, 09:08 AM
what sort of speed on that private road ? :) and have you got the Dunlop Qualifiers on ? and what pressures front & rear.

I have qualifiers and running 34psi front 38psi rear with panniers no problems at 3 figure speeds on my own private road. Just a thought, have you come from a sports bike - I find that this bike does need a very light touch on the bars otherwise you can communicate body movements. The Pan European was terrible for that especially in blustery conditions, you almost had to let go of the bars or it could wobble and weave. But get it right and it was rock solid.

ChrisHall
08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I agree, the bike needs a very light grip on the bars. If you grip it tightly it will cause instability. I noticed this most when cornering

beeney
08-08-2013, 02:46 PM
as stated recommended pressures on standard tyres same as quoted by nisbeam above.the triumph tiger is adventure sports,as was the 1200 multistrada between the tiger and the caponord so not new to adventure sports.i wont say an actual speed but it was close to flat out.my gsxr 1000 would do an indicated 40mph faster on same road without problems.however the fork seal on the leg with the electronics is leaking,but i can't see that being the cause.incidentally,the fork oil is special stuff and none in the country apparently,and anyone wanting some it comes in huge drums,so interesting to see how long before repaired and how the leak develops.it actually started after first high speed run

Mr Pope
08-09-2013, 02:25 AM
I changed the qualifiers to Maxxis 190/50's and run 32psi - mine's fine for lacking weave..

keithc
09-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Obviously cant really comment of the Cap yet, but I can on the instability of the Dorsoduro having owned one for over 24,000 miles. I have found mine really sensitive to tyres and tyre pressures. My current tyres, pilot 3's suffer from instability at around 120mph on my private road to. I didn't have this problem on the Perelli tyres I had (part worns from a friends supersport race bike :) ) But these really had to be warm to use them and cooled very quickly. Didn't like the original Dunlops at all, they were soon to be replaced with Avon Storm 2's. Not the grippiest of tyres, but wear rates are god when you are using your bike for commuting and were stable at all speed.

BTW stating that you break the speed limit on public roads isn't a good idea on any forum. Many are monitored by government agencies and information of who you are can be requested from the forum operators and your comments used to prosecute you if they so wish. Same applies to facebook etc.

On this you should also bear in mind that the police are getting more switched onto modern tech. If you are involved in an accident they will immediately confiscate an video camera you have and interrogate it for evidence, not only for the accident but also the way you may have been riding in the past. Not to sure about the Cap, but the DD also records the highest speed achieved since the last time the computer was re set. Its a good idea to re set this regularly.

Keith C

nisbeam
09-15-2013, 06:01 AM
Keith, yes the Capo does record the highest speed.... I did what !!:burnout:

keithc
09-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Forgot to mention, the Dorsoduro seems to handle better with a 180 section tyre rather than a 190 one. Maybe the Cap is the same

Keith C

Befbever
09-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Since there was no useful reply (it's not a Dorsoduro), here's one perhaps: set the ADD to automatic and the weave is gone. You can thank me later. :)

KiwiNinja69
09-23-2013, 01:48 AM
I did just over 1000Kms over Saturday & Sunday with some high speed runs on private roads of course with the panniers loaded up and using Auto mode on the ADD and the standard Dunlops I found it a very stable bike.

Befbever
09-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Well, been on it for more than a week and just brought it back. Many thanks to my Aprilia dealer ef-technix.be (http://www.ef-technix.be) for lending me the bike while he was putting a Brembo RCS radial brake master and HEL lines on my Honda. A job that suffered unexpected delay so I got to pick up the Aprilia to be able to commute. :worship:

He's got a sold one heading for Scandinavia on a trip so he'll get more feedback from him than from me.

Neither of us cared much for the OE Qualifier II's. They never gave me a planted feeling in the wet. Dry they're okay-ish. Could be the bike, I know.

The Capo in 'automatic' ADD mode is much more suited to my riding style and doesn't weave at all but (could be the Dunlops) it does still feel all the asphalt patches and over-banding in wet and dry. And it's just too high for me in 'automatic'. So I rode it in 'single rider' mode all of the time and kept the speed down to civilized.

A couple of people rode it - it is after all a demo - and they all liked it very much considering. It's not the bike for me - I had a Tiger 1050 and never got to grips with it - but I applaud Aprilia for all the good stuff and laugh at the silly Italian things they never seem to learn. Like how it flings the chain lube onto the seat and under tray.
And the narrow fuel filler opening. Never knew they still did that although it never bothered me on any of my Aprilias.

Tell you what, I'll take this Aprilia over the Triumph's awesome engine anytime. :)