PDA

View Full Version : Stange vibration/creaking at 3000rpm

Craig S
08-06-2013, 04:58 AM
Anybody noticed a transient vibration/creaking when the engine reaches 3000rpm or there abouts. Very noticeable at lower gears/speeds (mnost likely due to ther not being so much wind causing "helmet noise").

Helmet noise.... is that even a term? haha

nisbeam
08-06-2013, 05:28 AM
I do occasionally ride without earplugs just to listen in case there is anything untoward, but I haven't heard that noise you describe at all.

HistorySmistory
08-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Yes I have noticed this - you can hear and feel it. For me it seems to happen just after the clutch bites - it doesn't seem to occur if you pull away very gently or more quickly (poss the revs are higher) and often I don't notice it at all. I wondered if it was coming from the chain.

Craig S
08-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Might just be a characteristic of the enginbe then. Doesnt seem to affect performance at all. I'm getting the clutch fluid changed on mine as its gone black. Don't think its anything to worry about, as all my past aprilias had black clutch fluid and never had any issues at all. Just doing it for peace of mind.

Loving the bike so far. Miles above the multistrada IMHO :)

nisbeam
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
CraigS, yes my Tuono clutch fluid was black as well, I never bothered. Agree it's better than the Multis - they seem to agree in the latest review in Bike mag as well (Sept issue) although the focus seems to be on the suspension. Only thing they complain about is the MPG and they also say it has a 17ltr tank ! I get about 48-49mpg so I'm happy.

By the way, yes too much wind can make your helmet noisy
:funnypost

Mr Pope
08-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Good to see that 'Bike' knows the bikes they're testing then - nobhead journos... :blah:

ChrisHall
08-09-2013, 04:24 AM
I notice this vibration/ noise when accelerating through 3000rpm, not cruising.

Dustproof
08-10-2013, 03:00 AM
It's probably a Harmonic from a new clutch basket, V twins do this until they are run in. I am interested to see if any old Caponord 1000 riders have a new 1200, just to see if there is any issues with the 90 deg L Twin as opposed to the V Twin in the older model?

Globalone
08-12-2013, 10:41 AM
It's probably a Harmonic from a new clutch basket, V twins do this until they are run in. I am interested to see if any old Caponord 1000 riders have a new 1200, just to see if there is any issues with the 90 deg L Twin as opposed to the V Twin in the older model?

I have both bikes, the ETV does not have the same vibrations at a specific RPM just the standard V twin vibrations which are not bad if the throttle bodies are synced, A lot of the ETV owners who rode the 1200 test bike in Switzerland mentioned the vibration through the pegs and seat so I would say the ETV does not suffer the same.
I mentioned the vibration to the dealer when it went back for a visit, the mechanic took it for a spin and was not concerned, I have been monitoring it and does not appear to have got any different over time and is most probably harmonics as mentioned rather than something getting lose, so I live with it.