PDA

View Full Version : Possible use for that pesky oil drain pipe ?

nisbeam
07-27-2013, 03:36 AM
I was thinking about getting a Scottoiler, then thought we already have something that delivers oil at a steady slow rate – this air box oil drain pipe. Now it is not a regulated flow, so if too quick it won’t work and just be messy, but if not it could be a useful way of keeping the chain oiled. All we need are some thinner guage piping, connectors etc. to give it a try. But there is one possible no-no which is the oil collected may be contaminated and harmful to the O rings on the chain, but I don’t see how. Could be we can turn this pain in the arse to good use !

What does anyone else think, worth a go ?

nisbeam
07-28-2013, 03:41 AM
OK forget it. My oil drain has collected oil more than 24 hours after I last used the bike. Not a lot but this would mean a drip, so it needs to be a more switchable source, back to the Scottoiler I think.

Chabby
07-28-2013, 01:15 PM
It's doable. This was a common mod on British and early Japanese bikes. Before crankcase breathers were routed to airboxes due to emissions they just vented to air. As you suggest, a longer piece of pipe can direct the oil mist to the chain where it will do some good.

DodgyGeezer
07-29-2013, 12:55 PM
I've heard that Scottoilers don't work well with ride-by-wire systems?????????

nisbeam
07-29-2013, 03:03 PM
I had a mail from Scottoiler who recommended the electric version rather than old fashioned vacuum operated. I have asked what the difference is. I asked because some say the powered version controls the flow, but maybe not, it could be just a different way to turn it on and off. If so there are other (and cheaper) alternatives. I also asked about the oil, and they recommended the red because it is more suited to the heat of the engine. But I wonder why not just use multi grade oil which should cope with heat differences. Maybe I'll just stick with manual lubing after all.