PDA

View Full Version : Overheating, Warning light, Fan fault

stockell_mat
07-15-2013, 06:25 PM
I was sitting in traffic when I saw that the temp gauge was flashing, all 6 temp bars were on and the red warning light had come on. After pulling over and checking the bike I noticed that only one of the fans was working. Is there any way I can check that the coolant pump is working? Also when I got on my way again, I could hear the odd single blow-out/ puffing noise from the front end of the bike (radiator /tank area) like a quiet miss-fire, any ideas? The bike has not long had the demand sensor changed ( due to aprilia re-call) and I have just had the new stock map installed.

Lastly I wondered if I could install a spal 5.2" fan ( like on the dorso 750)?

Thanks, Mat

stockell_mat
07-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Update... the problem is not the fan it appears to be the connection / wiring. Swapped the fan connections over and the other fan wouldn't work. I am going to test with a voltmeter to check. The ecu was remapped and demand sensor changed, could it be an ecu problem? Also the blow-out sound is coming from the air-box, which makes me think one of the valves inside it might be sticking open. Any ideas?

lanter
07-17-2013, 12:20 PM
I think the fans are wired in parrallel and both should come on at same time. I'd check both molex plugs on the fans, after temp comes up to four bars. Mine kick on a few seconds after it hits four bars. How many miles? Still under warranty?

stockell_mat
07-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Cheers for the reply Lanter.
Excellent advice, thanks. Had a good look at the connections and saw that one of the spade connectors had pushed back and lost contact.
All sorted.:burnout:

Still got a small concern about the sound from the air box, wonder if it might be related to the front spark plug?

Mr.Dorso
07-18-2013, 12:38 AM
keen to know how many k's too! i recently had demand sensor replaced as it was faulty, workshop probably didnt bother to follow up with customers for the recall :/

Micah / AF1 Racing
07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I have seen two fans fail. Must check them with directly applied 12v power to be sure they are bad. Ecu simply completes ground leg of the fan circuit if like on other Aprilia ecu controlled fan circuits. If the fans happen to be good an easy temp fix is to hardware a switch for them...other than forgetting to turn them on this is the easiest fix if chasing down the real problem becomes problematic AND YOU HAVE FUNCTIONAL FANS.

stockell_mat
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. Hopefully the problem has been fixed. I will definitely remember your handy advice Micah if I have any more problems. Chewy I've got about 5500 miles on the clock and the bike is out its two years warranty.

zviadi
08-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I have a similar problem - very quickly overheat in traffic, from 4 to 6 points of temp bars is literally 5 minutes.
Two weeks ago, under the guarantee changed ECU, before checking operation fans on the diagnostic computer - both worked. However, I never noticed that they switch on the go or in traffic. When the beaten track hot motorcycle and after a minute or two strike up again, they also do not work. In this case, the engine tries to stall at idle.
Slightly passed - and the temperature drops to normal in 3 points.

zviadi
08-13-2013, 02:04 AM
A serious problem - because the heating stock mufflers space under the seat there is a failure of the battery. Inside it boils the electrolyte and the battery almost immediately become worthless.
Changed the battery - motorcycle went very briskly. Previously, this was not ... Now the question is - how long can live a new battery?
Has anyone encountered a similar problem and tried to solve it? Two solutions to this problem - or thermal tape to wrap the exhaust pipe, or buy straight-through mufflers.