PDA

View Full Version : DANGER - pannier can fall off - and how to fix it

nisbeam
07-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Following my 40+ miles blast back from my first service I found that my left pannier was hanging off :eek: only saved by the wire clip from being completely lost. In fact it had been resting on the tyre which had burnt a hole through the pannier (tyre only rubbed a little luckily).
226013 226014

The cause was partly due to the design, only the clamp at the front of the pannier actually locks it in place
226015 The Test: Try to pull the pannier backwards without turning the key to unlock - it may come off !!!! Mine did :eek:

The cause was the little bracket the clamp latches onto - and it can be fixed. Here was the difference in mine...
left (which fell off) 226016notice where it sits under the mounting above
here is the right one 226017 as you can see it sits a little further out allowing the clamp to latch on properly.

So there is one 13mm nut underneath that holds this in place, loosen off & adjust to give more clearance, here is mine after adjustment...
226018The pannier now locks firmly in place and cannot be pulled off.

One final adjustment (if you are picky like me). With the pannier in place loosen the nut again and push the pannier forward, this ensures there is not too much of a gap. Re-tighten and check pannier can be removed & re installed again, I found this made mine a better fit so I did both sides.

KiwiNinja69
07-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks for that, must have a look at it cause I reckon one of mine was loose when I removed them. Bad luck you you had to find out the hard way.

nisbeam
07-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Hope it helps. I think the final adjustment I mentioned is probably a good idea anyway so that they are a good tight fit. I don't think they should move at all once locked in place.

Globalone
07-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Will check in the morning . I always give my panniers a good nudge when to make sure they are secure.

Globalone
07-10-2013, 12:38 AM
A heads up. do not move the alloy bits rearwards to far as this will compromise the top clips of the panniers.

nisbeam
07-10-2013, 02:50 AM
Agreed. Just move back far enough so the pannier clamp will lock on. Then when locked in place more it forwards again so the whole is secure and can't move at all.

AussieMat
09-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Has any other oz owners had the extra pieces for the pannier mounts fitted ? Mine was fitted during the week so it looks like the pictures above now.

fredaroony
09-29-2013, 02:45 PM

AussieMat
09-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Mine was just a pipe frame with out the plastic covers so there was no hook for the safety clip

dsgfh
09-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Nope, should have come with all the pieces, although I gather there were a few oddities in what's been shipped from Italy.
I've shown Nathan at Aprilia City how to test for this & he's told me they'll make sure to test new bikes going out. Still worth checking yourself though.

AussieMat
09-29-2013, 07:49 PM
When first got mine I questioned as to what the safety clip was suppose to clip over , they had no idea. I printed the above photos which they sent to importer, few weeks later had extra pieces fitted. same with the catch tank, had no idea and wouldn't listen so got the importer involved again. Am starting to thing might give Aprilia city a go next service, just means time of work.

dsgfh
09-29-2013, 08:20 PM
When first got mine I questioned as to what the safety clip was suppose to clip over , they had no idea. I printed the above photos which they sent to importer, few weeks later had extra pieces fitted. same with the catch tank, had no idea and wouldn't listen so got the importer involved again. Am starting to thing might give Aprilia city a go next service, just means time of work.
I certainly wouldn't claim the service has been perfect (as I've noted in other threads), but the guys there do seem willing to take on feedback. There's been a joint learning experience on my bike. The service manager Nathan just needs to find himself some assistance to manage the communications with customers better (they know this, but the person they hired for the role only lasted 3 days). & you would have seen them post the test of the stelvio screen.

Markprend
09-30-2013, 12:48 AM
My pannier fittings are the same as the pics. Also the stelvio screens are supposed to arrive at Aprilia City on the 2nd October

Bryannagirl
05-08-2014, 07:28 AM
I was having trouble with my left side was not latching - did not adjust the frame side of latch but did lube bag latch and it seems to latch just fine now. Will check position of frame latch though may even make it better.

dadsafrantic
05-08-2014, 05:49 PM
So there is one 13mm nut underneath that holds this in place, loosen off & adjust to give more clearance, here is mine after adjustment...

[/QUOTE]

so i notice you have a little metal thingy that the wire holder gadget flips onto. my capo seems to not have that piece. i thought that the part the clip attaches to was backwards so i tried attaching it differently and the results are the same.

your entire setup looks different. holy cats. aprilia sent '14 euro bags to '15 us bikes.

251290:confused:

keithc
05-08-2014, 06:13 PM
The panniers are diferrent between the two year models? IN what way, could be interesting to find out whay as the basic panner and mounting design has been around for years (2003?)

Keith C

Bryannagirl
05-08-2014, 08:58 PM

so i notice you have a little metal thingy that the wire holder gadget flips onto. my capo seems to not have that piece. i thought that the part the clip attaches to was backwards so i tried attaching it differently and the results are the same.

your entire setup looks different. holy cats. aprilia sent '14 euro bags to '15 us bikes.

251290:confused:[/QUOTE]

Dump question what is the difference between euro and us bags my assumption was no difference but after reading post appears I am no correct.

Niclas
07-12-2014, 06:03 PM
My lock was perfectly aligned, worked like a charm to put on and take off... Until today, the second day with the side panniers on... After washing the bike I tried to put the side cases on and the left one refused to lock in place, some good shove with the knee didn't help either. When I took a closer look I noticed a screw came loose inside the locking mechanism. Took it home, dismantled the case and the second screw fell out. Luckily both screws and collars were still there so reassembled with locktite and nylock nut to be on the safe side. Will check the other pannier tomorrow. No risk of falling off, still not a great impression of the build quality having screws falling out after 500km of riding.

fredaroony
07-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Niclas
07-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Will check more nuts and screws before departing on a 2 week trip through Europe... I'm used to BMW's...

ChrisHall
07-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Will check more nuts and screws before departing on a 2 week trip through Europe... I'm used to BMW's...

on the BM I'd be checking the rear shock, exhaust for cracks, overtightened sump....... the list goes on

Niclas
07-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Had My F800s for 5 years, 50000 km without even a misfire, nothing but oil changes and washing the bike to think of. Not saying anyone is better or worse, just that my BMW was faultless and that's what I expect from a well engineered product.

nisbeam
07-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Apart from the pannier issue I started this thread with, I lost a screw that retains the cover over the rear exhaust header. Also one of the bolts holding the centre stand on. Not too bad for a big v-twin (ask any Harley owner). Aside from that this bike has been reliable in all weathers and conditions. Just passed 20,000 miles and running like new. :)

U2ssuck
05-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Not to be the guy to bring back dead threads, but this just happened to mine as well. I just picked this bike up on last Thursday. Rode my bike in to work,and when I got off, I noticed the right pannier hanging on by only the little metal safety clip. I took it back to the dealer and they're covering the damage under warranty. New pannier and shear bolt. That's right, shear bolt. The 13mm bolt that holds the hook to the frame is a shear bolt, so you can't steal the bag, or adjust it yourself...

RSTman
05-24-2015, 02:54 PM
This really pi**es me off. Aprilia and its dealers really should step up and make sure stuff like this doesn't happen. These panniers with the same fitting system have been around since 2001, on the Futura and 1st gen Caponord. It's not rocket science, all you have to do is pull the bag backwards to check it's latched, if it's not it will come right off. Interestingly my bike is nit fitted with shear bolts so you can adjust the latches. You can also steal the bags! Futura did have shear bolts, also had horizontal stay at the rear which used little rubber hooks to fix on the bobbins on the bags, made a better fixing overall than the Capo IMO.

fredaroony
05-24-2015, 03:07 PM

BrisbaNord
05-26-2015, 02:08 AM
It's a mystery....when I got the brand new bike home my panniers worked perfectly while I was practising the technique. Then for the first overnight ride with light loads in the panniers, I struggled to get one of them to lock on. Caused me to be 10min late, but it did lock and has ever since......mustn't have been holding my tongue right that day? I always test pull backwards for peace of mind.:plus: Ps my Givi's on the Blackbird snap-lock on with a reassuring thunk....no doubting they are on!

DodgyGeezer
05-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Some Guzzi's also use same panniers (also Piaggio)

rdbandkab
05-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Our 02 aprilia Futura had these bags as did our 06 Moto Guzzi Breva. We never had any issues with them, but they did have an inner support mounted to the tail section (license plate holder). It looks as though the Capo doesn't include that support.

BruceWayne
05-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Similar story for me. The panniers locked fine when new but the last time I fitted them they were not engaging properly. I rarely use the panniers so not too sure what it was that caused the shift. I adjusted the mounts per the thread here and back to normal.

Moral of the story - always, always check the panniers have locked on :)

BrisbaNord
05-28-2015, 03:11 AM
Hi all, got busy after reading this thread....and adjusted my hard to secure right hand pannier by loosening the 10mm bolt underneath the lock pin on the footpeg mount, and with pannier locked on, moving it so it had the same amount of slack as the left side (forward and back approx 1mm or less when locked on). Then.....and this is where I expect a Nobel Prize Nomination - or a slap on the belly with a dead fish - I looked at the wire latch and hook system and thought.....(don't laugh) what if I rotate the hooks 180deg, because the pannier can still dismount even with the wire saver in position....and you guessed it, with the hook upside down (just loosen the little screw and rotate it), it fills the wire loop better and prevents the unlocked pannier from moving rearwards! Try it, it works! (I thought I saw mention of this in a post but can't find it so sorry to original whiz - and thanks for seeding the idea into my slow moving mind). Hope you all push the wire loops in before flipping up...otherwise they will wear the plastic lugs and lose their nice locked down feel (learn't the hard way). Must have missed that bit in the owners manual....??
:cheers:

diegole
07-08-2015, 06:11 AM

New pieces that press more

BrisbaNord
07-10-2015, 01:48 AM
That's the idea Diegole! If the pannier ever unlocks it simply cannot move back far enough to pop out of the upper mounts....:cigar:

NOVA_RYAN
07-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Brand new Capo. Took for a test drive after prep. Sidebag fell off on the interstate during test drive. Less than 10 miles use. Check the bags before you ride!

Dealer is going to replace but will take weeks to order but I had to run across the Capital Beltway to get my original lock cylinder or they couldn't set me up the same.

RSTman
07-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Brand new Capo. Took for a test drive after prep. Sidebag fell off on the interstate during test drive. Less than 10 miles use. Check the bags before you ride!

Dealer is going to replace but will take weeks to order but I had to run across the Capital Beltway to get my original lock cylinder or they couldn't set me up the same.

Inexcusable, not to mention dangerous for other road users. Aprilia need to apply stickers with instructions on how to check fitting. Kawasaki did on the 1400GTR (Concours). The Aprilia fixing is secure if the latches are latched and the security wires flipped into place.

NOVA_RYAN
07-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Inexcusable, not to mention dangerous for other road users. Aprilia need to apply stickers with instructions on how to check fitting. Kawasaki did on the 1400GTR (Concours). The Aprilia fixing is secure if the latches are latched and the security wires flipped into place.

I agree, friend. I placed trust that the dealer installed them correctly. Had H+B bags on my Guzzi -- they were so problem free that I never thought for a second this could of happened to me. Never thought to check them and wasn't familiar with the system.

Hope other people learn from this fiasco and check their bags even if the dealer installs them.

rdbandkab
07-14-2015, 02:00 PM
I wonder if the bike I test-rode at the dealership has the locking mechanisms rotated to the correct positions now. :rolleyes:

It was the first thing I checked on the "new to me" Capo before I rode it 200 miles home...

NOVA_RYAN
07-14-2015, 03:04 PM
No joke, rdbandkab. I had better check them before my next blast down skyline drive. Can I ask where you got yours? Nice to see you are a Guzzi owner as well.

diegole
07-14-2015, 03:17 PM
hello, I made that pieces for more security, but when you put the panniers onto the bike, you have yanking backwards to ensure that the lock has been closed

Excuse my english

rdbandkab
07-14-2015, 04:01 PM
I actually bought mine from a guy on another forum.. It had 1100 miles and the first service completed. Looks like the dealership he purchased it from in CO did things right. The clasps were facing the luggage locks!

I test rode one from a shop in PA. I almost purchased from them, but the deal from the PO was too good to pass up! Plus the deal made it possible to keep the Stelvio if we want.

*Luckily I've been using this same luggage system for a while. It's the same as on our 02 FUtura....and our 06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100.

richy

BrisbaNord
07-15-2015, 05:28 AM
Hey guys....just remember to feel that the pannier, when 'locked' on, should have a smidgeon of for-aft play to ensure easy fit-lock. The wire loop mod is a precautionary measure 'just in case' a pannier un-latches from the locking bars (test it on yours....don't lock on , then, move them back to see if they will pop out the upper mounts before the wire saver engages). I agree, the factory/Dealers should set this up before delivery to the un-suspecting buyer.:cheers:

dadsafrantic
03-29-2016, 11:35 AM
cool.

JKGeorge
03-29-2016, 01:19 PM
I have had a few bikes with hard luggage, I have always been afraid of this, So when I got my baby home, I found the right side not locking, so I adjusted he bottom latch, and no problems since. When I do a pre ride. I try to slide the bags off, I was so excited when I took my Capo home, I did not think to do it. Before I had put it away for the night, my Type A personality kicked in and I found it. Glad I did.

GlosCapo
03-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Hey guys....just remember to feel that the pannier, when 'locked' on, should have a smidgeon of for-aft play to ensure easy fit-lock. The wire loop mod is a precautionary measure 'just in case' a pannier un-latches from the locking bars (test it on yours....don't lock on , then, move them back to see if they will pop out the upper mounts before the wire saver engages). I agree, the factory/Dealers should set this up before delivery to the un-suspecting buyer.:cheers:

Loosened the bolt on my panniers & moved the clamp back a tiny bit, now both panniers have a little movement to check if theyre locked on or not.
Will have to try moving the hook upside down too, didn't read that bit of advice earlier.

GlosCapo
03-31-2016, 06:43 AM
BrisbaNord, looked at moving the hooks around till I noticed mine look completely different & it wouldn't make any difference anyway. In fact with my hooks it might even make it worse turning them upside down. Was worth a look though.

BrisbaNord
10-30-2016, 01:38 AM
Ahhhh, here it is, hiding at page 13.........just to put it to the top of the list again so anybody new to Caponord can see how to adjust their RH pannier....:cheers:

chrisu
10-31-2016, 03:24 AM
Yup. Had the same problem but fortunately no damage done