PDA

View Full Version : Warning message after Tail Tidy install?

melee
06-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi all,

New Ape here, just got my DD1200 last week. First thing I wanted to do was get the tail cleaned up, so I ordered the Evotech kit - install was a bit of a pain, but everything was working well for the past four days until today when the Warning light came on.

I noticed that my LED in the back (for the license plate) wasn't illuminating, so I opened up the rear and checked all of the connections - everything looked ok, but still it isn't illuminating and the warning light persists. Any ideas before I take it into the dealer? Perhaps a fuse or something?

lanter
06-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Put a volt meter to the molex plug of the brake light. See if you have 12v at the plug. Good place to start.

melee
06-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Put a volt meter to the molex plug of the brake light. See if you have 12v at the plug. Good place to start.
At the tail molex or the LED for the license plate illuminator (or are they connected to the same plug?)

lanter
06-09-2013, 09:32 PM
My bad! I meant license place molex plug.

melee
06-09-2013, 11:16 PM
My bad! I meant license place molex plug.

All good! Believe it or not, I don't own a multimeter so I'll have to grab one and see what's going on there.

melee
06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Uh oh.

Noticed that the headlights were out so went to the fusebox. #1 was blown, replaced, blown again, reinsulated wires and still blown. Noticed that the cables were a little close to the exhaust - I'm thinking they may have melted and that's causing the short :( Not sure what to do next, any ideas?

Actually, I disconnected the plate light and that at least got my lights/horn back, so I think it's isolated to the plate illuminator only. Do I have any recourse or do I need to get a new kit?

zviadi
06-11-2013, 03:13 AM
You incorrectly installed Evotech kit. The wires should not hang out, route all cables neatly and secure the straps to the metal plate of the tail-tidy.

In these photos you can see how the wires are routed:

Be prepared for the fact that Evotech tail-tidy vibrates when driving and maybe like... I put back the stock tail.

If not more difficult, place photos with installed tail, bottom view of the three screws that secure it.

melee
06-11-2013, 09:50 AM
You incorrectly installed Evotech kit. The wires should not hang out, route all cables neatly and secure the straps to the metal plate of the tail-tidy.

Well, I routed it up using the zip ties, but it looks like the LED light cable bunched up a bit. I'm thinking I could strip the light wires lower to the frame, tap some new wire, and route it back up and ensure that it does not come anywhere close to the exhaust?

zviadi
06-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Do not have the wires to come close to the exhaust manifold. Check out my photos of the routing of the wires - no sagging.