PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia RS 50 2004

jamesb96
05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
New to this forum thought I would show you guys my RS 50 which I bought about a week ago for 900.
This is how the bike looked when I first bought it, the guy who I bought it from had taken all the panels off, repainted them white and put new decals on. Not sure if any work has been carried out on the engine all I know is it has an arrow exhaust and is de-restricted. Engine's got around 30,000 miles on it so fairly high but seems to run ok. I used to own a Peugeot speedfight 2 but fancied a change so found this bike and bought it as soon as I could. Never ridden a geared bike before and changing from an automatic i'm slowly getting used to the gears. Also the power feels alot different especially as it gets into the power band.
Pic of speedfight
The bike didn't have mirrors when I bought it and the mirror holes were filled with fiberglass so purchased some mirrors and drilled the holes out to fit them.

Rs and speedfight:

Bike seems to make a clunking sound as it changes gear, wasn't to sure whether it was something to do with the high mileage or possibly the oil. Read a few threads about what gearbox oil to use and seen that most people recommend 10w40 4 stroke, mainly castrol power 1, motul 300v or shell advance. Wondering what peoples thoughts were about motul transoil expert as I was considering using this.

apriliamandan
05-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Nice looking Rs50 there james. I use Motul scooter Expert 10w40 that I buy of Adrenalin Pedstop (who stock loads of goodies). I also have the same Arrow exhaust as that, they are brilliant!

RS_Patrick
05-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Wrong Oil dan... A: its not suitable for a gearbox, B: its not suitable for a wet clutch.
Oilf that are suitable for a gearbox are verry difrent from car or scooter oils, in a scooter 4 stroke engine you can just put car oil.
These oils dont like to be mixed up/chewed up by the gears.

Motul 300V 5W-40 is a good oil, (shift and clutches better wen cold) otherwise Castrol Power One/RS Racing 4T 10W-40 or Shell Advance Ultra 4 10W-40.
Most important thing is that its a Fully Syntetic Motorcycle Oil suitable for Wet Clutch.

apriliamandan
05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Oh right Patrick, thanks for letting me know. Do you reckon it will cause any damage to the gearbox? I haven't had any clutch slip yet...

RS_Patrick
05-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Will damadge the gearbox and clutchplates and it can blow the seals as the oil might start to foam from being run trough the gears.
Those oils got a long molucule structure wich is great for transfering heat, but not so good wen it gets in between gears or a clutch, on top of that, Techno Syntese is an fancy word for Miniral Oil with Syntectic Adatives.

Fully Syntetic Transmision/Gear oil suitable for Wet Clutch 75W-90 or Fully Syntetic Motorcycle 4 Stroke Oil suitable for Wet Clutch 10W-40 is what you want.
both are about the same viscosity, but the Motor oil gets rated much stricter, so generaly its the better of the 2 also because it soaks up heat better, some Gear oils got both the 75W-90 as the 10W-40 ratings on them. (or just 10W-40 like Motul Transoil instead of the normal 75W-90 for transmision oils)

2 Stroke oil also Always use Fully Syntetic suitable for Oil Injection/Auto lube, unless your premixing only.

Cooling Fluid: 1 litre of Readsy to use Motorcycle cooling fluid, do not use stuff you need to mix with water (or just water) as the cooling pump wont last to long than (i never had to replace my pump!)

On the Speedfight, i had 2 of those, though one only lasted 4 days untill someone with a van turned right infront of me, no time to brake... the other got fully race tuned and that lasted a while untill i crashed it at top speed, nothing left of the scooter.
Great handling, you can but all sorts of front and rear shocks for it.